TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

Print to PDF layer names
Read 6936 times
* May 10, 2014, 11:05:56 PM
Does anyone know of a good PDF printer that will work with Turbocad v19.2 64 bit, that will save the layer names in the pdf file. I have an earlier version of eDocPrinter PDF Pro, but don't appear to have that functionality, as it just saves it all to one layer.

Any help appreciated.

Thank You!.

* May 10, 2014, 11:31:19 PM
I think you'll have to use the "Save As" PDF to get the layer names into a PDF.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

May 11, 2014, 07:45:08 AM
I was unable to get TC layers into a PDF by using "save as PDF" in TC. However, I got a perfectly layered PDF thusly. Saved TC drawing as DWG. Opened the DWG with Adobe Illustrator and saved the drawing as a PDF.

BUT, as far as I can tell you only get a world plane view. And, be aware that the PDF will be only a single 2d view. In order to get another view you'd have to put the elements on a different work plane so that the world plane view would be the one you want in the PDF.

A 3d PDF is a different beast and does layers differently.

mike
TC user since v3. MacMini 5.1. 2.3 GHz. 16 Gig RAM.
TC 19 Pro 64 bit. Windows 7.

May 11, 2014, 09:23:19 AM
Adobe Acrobat X Pro, which I thought I remembered John R. previously stating that he owns an uses, seems to have the capability.

Here is a link
to that section of Adobe's Help.  How well it works with .tcw files, I don't think it states; one might want to first save a .dwg before writing to Adobe Acrobat X Pro, to optimize the Layers feature.

I keep telling myself that if I ever did this drafting stuff as more of my full-time income, I'd purchase an Adobe pdf-writing product.  I currently use FinePrint's PdfFactory Pro, which was under $100 at the time of purchase, when Adobe products were selling for much more than they are now.

-Alvin
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 05:22:43 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
Intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 (ver6.5).  No formal CAD Training.
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

May 11, 2014, 10:33:24 AM
Acrobat does not support DWG or TCW files, which is why I used Illustrator. Adobe no longer sells many of it's products; you have to subscribe. For an occasional user this is inconvenient. For someone who uses many of their products and needed to upgrade every-so-often, it's a blessing.

mike

* May 11, 2014, 11:03:30 AM
re: …I was unable to get TC layers into a PDF by using "save as PDF" in TC.

I neglected to state that you need to click on the "Setup" button in the "Save As" dialog after selecting the PDF format. You can check "Enable layer support" and include all layers, if you want. Any time you use a non-TurboCAD format for the first time, it can be helpful to check the "Setup".

In 3D PDF, I think it displays the layer names (with "TCLayer" prefix) for visible objects.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

May 11, 2014, 11:04:07 AM
In my TurboCAD version-19.2-Deluxe(build 54.2) I was successfully able to get Layers into a PDF using TurboCAD's "Save As..." Pdf Export, with the correct options ticked in the Setup page.
Only the Layers that actually had Objects in them in the drawing space(s) selected in the PDF Export Setup populated in the PDF.
Additionally, with the correct option ticked in the Export Setup page, Layers that are not "visible" at the time of Export still populate in the resultant PDF (for instance, in the attached example, I had the "TRUSSES" Layer set to not-visible when Exporting to PDF).

I don't use this "Save As..." PDF option; just experimenting with it here.  I am finding that the print result replicates the settings in (Print) Page Setup (i.e.: Sheet size, Scale, Origin, etc.).  It seems to be best practice to set the Paper Size in the PDF Export Setup to replicate the size in (Print) Page Setup.

Attached is an example, using the TurboCAD-supplied/installed, Kevin Mendenhall-created, "Smith Res." sample file.

Kind of cool.  If only it had a "Black Only" option, it would be really cool for sharing and collaboration.

-Alvin
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 11:48:49 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* May 11, 2014, 11:19:40 AM
Acrobat does not support DWG or TCW files, which is why I used Illustrator. Adobe no longer sells many of it's products; you have to subscribe. For an occasional user this is inconvenient. For someone who uses many of their products and needed to upgrade every-so-often, it's a blessing.

I agree with John. You should be able to “save as’ a pdf all “layouts’ and “layers’ from Turbo cad.   You can also save a 3d pdf which works great with acrobat.
Also, acrobat pro supports  autodesk files, dwg,dxf,dwt,dwf and dst.

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > 2019-2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21,20,19 and 18.Using LightWorks, Anilab lab 5.  HP all in one  23" Touch smart screen with Nvidia Geforce 210, open gl 3.3. Intel Core i5 ,2.27GHz,4 GB ram.

May 11, 2014, 11:53:21 AM
Another example attached, using TurboCAD's PDF Export ("Save As..." PDF, with the correct Setup options ticked, and correct Page Setup) via my version-19.2-Deluxe (build 54.2).   Again, I used a TurboCAD-provided/installed sample file, creator unknown.

-Alvin

Alvin Gregorio

May 11, 2014, 01:15:20 PM
I agree with John. You should be able to “save as’ a pdf all “layouts’ and “layers’ from Turbo cad.   You can also save a 3d pdf which works great with acrobat.

When I try to create a PDF from a DWG file using Acrobat 11 pro, I get a message that the format is not supported. Are you able to do this?

I'm glad to learn about the options for TC save as PDF. I've had such bad luck with this function in the past that I have generally avoided using it.

mike

* May 11, 2014, 01:34:06 PM
Many thanks for the feedback everyone, never expected so many replies, I think I tried the pdf save last night, but not sure if I checked the layers box, so will give it another try later. One other possible reason, is that the pdf reader I am using does not support layers , although it is the reader with windows 8.1. I will also try the dwg or dxf to open in illustrator.

Thank you!.

* May 11, 2014, 01:44:24 PM

When I try to create a PDF from a DWG file using Acrobat 11 pro, I get a message that the format is not supported. Are you able to do this?

I'm glad to learn about the options for TC save as PDF. I've had such bad luck with this function in the past that I have generally avoided using it.

Yes mike. I can create a Pdf with autodesk files in  acrobat X pro 11 with the option to import the layouts and layers when creating a pdf.

> how are you creating the Pdf with acrobat?

Windows 7 64 bit HP > 2019-2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21,20,19 and 18.Using LightWorks, Anilab lab 5.  HP all in one  23" Touch smart screen with Nvidia Geforce 210, open gl 3.3. Intel Core i5 ,2.27GHz,4 GB ram.

May 11, 2014, 04:16:56 PM
I select create PDF from file. Select the dwg file and get a message that it is not supported. How do you do it?

mike

* May 11, 2014, 05:06:16 PM
I select create PDF from file. Select the dwg file and get a message that it is not supported. How do you do it?

In the acrobat splash screen under select task I choose create pdf. I can open any dwg or dxf  up till 2013. Are you sure we have the same versions of acrobat? Mine is acrobat XI pro 11.0.06. acrobat installs the auto desk filters in windows. I think there were issues when running it on a Mac if Acad is not installed. If you are in windows have you tried re-installing it?

* May 11, 2014, 05:09:35 PM
Well, tried save to pdf, and had no luck with any of the settings, but maybe my illustrator Cs2 is the problem, however I did manage to save as dwg and dxf which both opened in illustrator with the layers, and saved to both pdf and ai files both which opened up again with the layers so no problem. I must look for another more upto date pdf editor to see if the layers actually did save, and maybe the old version of illustrator did not have the right import filter.

Problem solved for now anyway, going to check now if my eDocPrinter pdf pro will save the layers from illustrator.

Many thanks!.  :)

* May 11, 2014, 06:16:34 PM
Right, solved a few problems, my version of illustrator will not open the save as pdf files from turbocad with layers intact, but I downloaded a more modern pdf reader, and the Turbocad save as pdf opened in that ok with layers intact.

Conclusion, Turbocad does the job with save as pdf, and my problem was other software.

Starting to make some headway now, just got to update my print to pdf software with a suitable version to include layers as well.

Any suggestions for a free print to pdf that supports layers from Turbocad?.

May 12, 2014, 05:48:59 AM
I am running on Mac. I was just curious about the Acrobat thing, since I'd always use Illustrator to create the PDF. Everything is run from Adobe is the latest CC version.

mike

* May 12, 2014, 07:38:56 PM
I am running on Mac. I was just curious about the Acrobat thing, since I'd always use Illustrator to create the PDF. Everything is run from Adobe is the latest CC version.

That might explain why it doesn’t work for you. I guess you don’t  have Acad installed. Try installing a trail version of Acad, chances are it will work.

May 14, 2014, 08:21:08 AM
I don't really care if I can create a PDF from Acrobat when I can use Illustrator. There are some interesting differences in the PDF files, however.

From one TC file I created a PDF via DWG in Illustrator. The named layers are accessible in Acrobat, Adobe Reader and Illustrator. The file size is 95 kb.

From the same file I saved as PDF in TC. The named layers are accessible in Acrobat and Adobe Reader, but not in Illustrator. The file size is 315 kb.

I can't create one via DWG in Acrobat so I don't know what it would be like. Next time I turn on my laptop with Acrobat for Windows I'll try it.

Adobe Creative Cloud allows installation of all the programs on 2 computers, but they don't have to be the same platform.

mike