TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

Achieving scale on print
Read 15080 times
* March 25, 2014, 09:08:56 AM
Being a recent convert to paper space and, as a consequence to consistent scaling among multiple detail views, I thought it might be interesting to achieve actual scale on the print so that one could do  measurements on the print and expect them to be reasonably accurate estimations of distance.  I had created a series of detail views which were all at 1:75 simply because that was a round number which reasonably filled the page.  These drawings mostly have a 6' grid on them (drawn) and the prints were ending up with about 7/8" between grid lines.  Finally, the lightbulb went on and I realized that 1:72 should actually give 1" = 6' so I created a view that way (required a little rearrangement of labels outside the actual view.    That gives me 14.5/16" = 6' printed direct to the laser and 15/16" = 6' if I print to PDF and then print from PDF to the laser with Actual Size instead of shrink to fit.

Am I missing some simple trick here or:
a) One just has to fiddle to find some scale that produces the right scale in the output, or
b) It is hopeless because every printer is going to do it a little differently?
Note that the PDFs are being distributed to a small group so it is likely that everyone will print their own.

Thomas Mercer-Hursh, TC Pro 15

March 25, 2014, 09:35:26 AM
Make sure that either the viewport or paperspace is set 1:1.  Otherwise you may be scaling twice.

Rip Fowler
IMSIDesign LLC

* March 25, 2014, 10:13:35 AM
I see no property on the paperspace for scale.  The viewport is fixed scale at 1:75 in the old ones and 1:72 in my new ones.

* March 25, 2014, 10:36:16 AM
I don't know howe V 15 look like, but we can rigth-click on the paperspace folder and select properties, else maybe you can go by Workspace/Paperspace/Properties.

And a small tip, edit your signatur and add version and version number, that make it more easy to answer correct to your question's.

Torfinn

V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17/ 18/ 19 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe 2015/ 16/ 19
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

* March 25, 2014, 10:50:56 AM
OK, I found it and that is 1" = 1"

March 25, 2014, 10:58:20 AM
Ok then I am unsure why the scale is not correct on your printed sheet. 

Rip Fowler
IMSIDesign LLC

* March 25, 2014, 11:05:27 AM
Yeah, the annoying part is that it is close, but not quite and, of course, not quite makes it really hard to take a measurement off a drawing!  I could probably fiddle with the scale to get it right on my printer, but if it is going to be different on every printer, there is no point.

* March 25, 2014, 11:26:53 AM
Can it be that your printer have a margin, that force the sheet to be drawn a litle bit smaller

Torfinn

Deluxe 2015/ 16/ 19
RedSDK enabled

* March 25, 2014, 11:36:49 AM
Well, yes, lasers have margins ... different from printer to printer.  Some inkjets will print right to the edge and some won't.  But, the way this usually manifests itself is that if I put something too close to the edge it just doesn't fully print.  Word, for example, has a screwy idea of the margins on envelopes and complains all the time that I am printing in the margin when actually it prints just fine.  With Photoshop I can print something considerably bigger than the page without scaling and it will print up to the margin and then just not print what is outside that.

I get why, printing from PDF, that one has to unclick the Fit to 1 page option, but I tried that.  But just straight printing from TC there should be no scaling... the printer option for scaling is at 100% by default.

* March 25, 2014, 12:12:08 PM
If the M space and P space is 1:1, the viewport is 1:75, then i think i would put my money on that it is the printer :)

Some printer have small margin for maybe 5-7 mm as a minimum standard, and the printer tell that it is 100 %, but that is 100% of what the printer think, not nessesary 100 % of the sheet, so if you want the printer to calculate the full size of the sheet you have to tick a box for that. Maybe... :)

Torfinn

Deluxe 2015/ 16/ 19
RedSDK enabled

March 25, 2014, 12:12:41 PM
Well, yes, lasers have margins ... different from printer to printer.  Some inkjets will print right to the edge and some won't.  But, the way this usually manifests itself is that if I put something too close to the edge it just doesn't fully print.  Word, for example, has a screwy idea of the margins on envelopes and complains all the time that I am printing in the margin when actually it prints just fine.  With Photoshop I can print something considerably bigger than the page without scaling and it will print up to the margin and then just not print what is outside that.

I get why, printing from PDF, that one has to unclick the Fit to 1 page option, but I tried that.  But just straight printing from TC there should be no scaling... the printer option for scaling is at 100% by default.

Rest assured:  TurboCAD won't "shrink to fit" your Print Job unless you tell it to via a setting (or clicking "Yes" if/when you get a warning message stating something like "Objects will be outside the Printing area; do you want TurboCAD to adjust it for you?")

Other than that, it would not be a TurboCAD issue, other than you don't have the settings correct.

Alvin Gregorio
Intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 (ver6.5).  No formal CAD Training.
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* March 25, 2014, 12:27:26 PM
So, let me ask it another way ... are other people able to print drawings to laser printers which have the true indicated scale?  That is all I have to test on at the moment.  And, it looks to me like everything is set correctly and I am getting close, not quite.

March 25, 2014, 12:31:30 PM
Also, on this subject.  Something I have been wanting to do myself, but I have never taken the time to do it.:

In Modelspace (or in Modelspace of a New Drawing) draw a Scale (a Ruler).  Just like a typical Scale (Ruler) that you would have on your drafting desk.

In the English Unit System, it would go to 12", divided in increments to 1/16"-- just like a real-world Scale (Ruler).
Make that a Block and then a Symbol (for future use on other, future, Drawings).

Insert that Scale into your Drawing's Modelspace, somewhere that it will be out of the way of all other Objects and Views-in-Viewports.

In Paperspace, as well as other "principal" Viewport(s), Insert a Viewport containing this Scale only.
After having set the scale of your Viewport, either use Format Painter to set the scale of the Scale Viewport, or set the scale manually.

Now, no matter what happens during printing, both (or all) Viewports will scale the same amount.  And other parties can use that Scale (Ruler) to measure within the drawing.  They can either use a compass (dividers), or they can take some scissors and cut out the Scale.

(Sorry.  I know that's a lot of "scales".  It's the English language:  we have too many words that mean multiple things.)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 12:35:31 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* March 25, 2014, 12:46:52 PM
Well, or better yet, in this case I could create a real world appropriate scale.  Since the garden is 110' square (not counting the outlying parts I haven't drawn yet) and all of the subdivisions of the garden are less (slightly) than 40', I could include a 40-50' "ruler" in the drawing with one foot divided finely below the 0 mark, just like those old triangular scale rules we used to use when the dinosaurs were still around .... or like the one I am using to measure this drawing!  Include that in the drawing, create a viewport for it, and add it to all of the paperspaces at the same scale as the main viewport and one has a ruler for the drawing.   Whether that would really help a bunch of Master Gardeners, I don't know ...

March 25, 2014, 01:11:08 PM
just like those old triangular scale rules we used to use when the dinosaurs were still around

Hey, I resemble that comment!  ;D

You mean, like one of these?

Win 8.1 Pro ~TC 21.2 Pro Plat
ASUS Sabertooth X79 LGA 2011 Intel X79
Intel Core i7-4930K~PNY NVIDIA Quadro K2200
G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3 1866 
Corsair CPU Cooler H100i
SanDisk Ultra Plus 256GB SATA 6.0GB/s SSD
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB (x2)
Stable @ 4.5 GigHz overclocked
NICE

* March 25, 2014, 01:26:16 PM
Yeah, mine is a Staedtler-Mars Architect!

Got some slide rules too ... including a circular one.

March 25, 2014, 02:02:56 PM
Well, attached is my Ruler I just made.

It only occurred to me after I tried to place it in an architectural Drawing for sharing here as an example:  I need Feet-and-Inches!... not Inches! ???

Then I searched the Samples folder for something good to place it in, but couldn't find anything that really would show a good use of adding a Ruler to Paperspace via a Viewport (of the Ruler in Modelspace), and scaling it to match the scaling of the other Viewports in Paperspace.

Alvin Gregorio

* March 25, 2014, 02:15:20 PM
Right, like I said, the garden is 110' on a side and any one quadrant is a slightly less than 40' not counting the central paths.   So, a 40' ruler that really only had a mark every foot, and then 1" below the 0 marked off in inches would do the trick.

But, I don't know that most of this crowd is going to have a caliper of any kind or to be familiar with its use, so at a minimum there is going to be instruction involved.  There is probably some instruction for 1" = 6' and how to convert, come to that.

* March 25, 2014, 03:14:13 PM
I don't understand how this ruler "thing" should help, if it printing wrong, it's printing wrong no matter what.
I dont belive it's TC ho is doing this scaleproblem to happens, even if i never have seen V 15 ::)

I tested on my very cheap ink printer Brother something A3, the laser i trow away long time ago, as it made to much noice, basically i only use pdf's
Take the Tamhas garden drawing, changed to metric system like i use, the 86'-7" was then 26 390,6 mm, printed it in 1:200 on a A4 sheet, and it come out 100% correct so fare it was possible to make a meassurment on the paper in 1:200 with a staedtler mars, so that should indicate that there is somthing that need to be adjusted on the printer from Tamhas.

In this days when we use a computer to make a drawing, it's not acceptable if the print is more than 4% wrong, that means that on 23 390,6 mm would be 935 mm wrong ( about 37" )

Torfinn

Deluxe 2015/ 16/ 19
RedSDK enabled

March 25, 2014, 04:25:33 PM
Here's how the ruler thing helps.  I will give an example from my own experience.  Bear with me as I use the English Unit system to illustrate my example.

Let's say I create a floorplan of a house in full-scale in Modelspace.  It's a 3,500sf house, and the Viewport of it fits nicely on a 36"x24" Paperspace sheet at the standard ¼"=1' scale.  That is the scale I set my Viewport to, and I print to PDF from Paperspace at full-scale.
    In addition to my printing-company for professional prints, I send the PDF to the homeowners.  They don't want to pay for the larger format printing, so they go to a neighborhood printing company and instruct them to print the PDF shrinking it to whatever fills up an 11"x17" sheet fully, without leaving anything off.  It ends up being something a little more than 1/8"=1'... but not exactly that.
    If I had inserted a Ruler in Paperspace-- also via a Viewport, as the ruler is in Modelspace-- and that Viewport's scale is fixed at the same scale-value as the floorplan's Viewport, the homeowners could easily either use a compass (dividers) to ascertain dimensions, another ruler (cumbersome), or just cut out the ruler that I had printed on the same sheet as the floorplan at the same scale as the floorplan.
    Remember:  Whatever unintentional, inadvertent, scaling happened to the Print Job happened to both the floorplan Viewport and the Ruler Viewport.

Same would hold true if this accidental scaling happened due to TurboCADer error, or printing-apparatus error (or whatever the cause).

I hope you don't mind, but I took the liberty of using your Garden drawing to illustrate what I am saying and the use thereof.  See Modelspace as well as Paperspaces.
    I also took the liberty to make some changes to your file; explore around, if you wish.  The main change I made was changing your "Grid" (not to be confused with TurboCAD's Grid) from 6' increments to 5' increments.  It seemed more intuitive for your gardeners, and fit nicely on a 110'-square-overall.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 06:31:03 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

* March 25, 2014, 08:17:08 PM
Yeah, the annoying part is that it is close, but not quite and, of course, not quite makes it really hard to take a measurement off a drawing!  I could probably fiddle with the scale to get it right on my printer, but if it is going to be different on every printer, there is no point.

Just a thought of something to check.  Go to options-space units to check the precision settings for the drawing units (measurements).  See screenshot.  The recommended setting is usually something like 10 or so.  I have mine set to 4 which works well enough for me.  The default is 2 I think. 

When the settings are lower, measurements will get rounded up or down according to the precision level set.  The effect I have had happen is that objects that I have drawn to be a certain size may be slightly larger or smaller even though the size listed in the inspector bar or in the selection info palette is correct.   For example if I draw a line at 24", it might only be 23 31/32" even though it shows that the line is 24".

HTH

Dan

Deluxe 16.2
Pro Platinum 18.2
Running on HP HDX laptop w/win7 Home Intel Duo Core, 2.53GHz 4GB RAM, 64Bit OS

* March 26, 2014, 12:38:49 AM
I understand the ide'a, with the ruler, i'm only not agree that it is a good way to do it, i can imagen when the workers call and say, sorry boss but it start to rain and the ruler get wet and fall apart, you have to print me a new one and bring to the plot, maybe only a couple hour's to drive for you  ::)

Then i think it's better to scale the drawing up to 1:78 and something so it come out in correct size on paper, if it's not possible to find and/ or make the adjustment on the printer

Torfinn

Deluxe 2015/ 16/ 19
RedSDK enabled

March 26, 2014, 04:54:13 AM
...  i'm only not agree that it is a good way to do it, i can imagen when the workers call and say, sorry boss but it start to rain and the ruler get wet and fall apart, you have to print me a new one and bring to the plot, maybe only a couple hour's to drive for you  ::)
Torfinn

"...,sorry boss but it start to rain and the ruler get wet and fall apart, ..."

LOL'ed on that one Torfinn.   ;D  Like you, I've had employees that would do exactly that.

(still think it might be nice for tamhas' garden drawing, and for use by his non-draftsman/tradespeople gardeners)

Alvin Gregorio

* March 26, 2014, 07:23:23 AM
Well, lots of stuff here.

First, let me say that there may be a laser/inkjet difference here.  I used to have a C-sized inkjet that I used for printing drawings and I believe it was quite accurate, but it may be that there is an inherent scaling issue with the laser.  I am exploring that with Xerox.  If so, the right thing to do is to adjust the scaling in the printer, I think.

I'll explore the drawing.

If it were up to me, I'd have done 5', but the customer is always right, no? (especially when one is married to her)

I can see the ruler being a plus when printing in different sizes, but I'm not sure that applies here.  I am going to consider adding a ruler since I think a lot of people, even if they aren't used to a divider and the like are used to ticking off a couple of marks on the edge of a piece of paper or whatever and comparing that to a map scale ... at least those old enough to have used pre-printed paper maps.

My precision is set to 2, but I question whether that is the problem.  What I am measuring to check for accuracy is the grid lines and I created those with copy and delta X and Y, so they should be bang on.

Lots of good feedback, thanks.

* March 26, 2014, 12:02:01 PM
Well, Xerox advised me to install the PCL driver.  The print quality is somewhat better, but it hasn't fixed the problem.  What I am getting now is:

I get the following results for the distance between the 6' lines.
14.5/16" - direct to PCL
14.8/16" - direct to PS
15.4/16" - to PDF and then to PCL
15.3/16" - to PDF and then to PS

March 26, 2014, 02:16:17 PM
Well, Xerox advised me to install the PCL driver.  The print quality is somewhat better, but it hasn't fixed the problem.  What I am getting now is:

I get the following results for the distance between the 6' lines.
14.5/16" - direct to PCL
14.8/16" - direct to PS
15.4/16" - to PDF and then to PCL
15.3/16" - to PDF and then to PS

What's "PS"?

And how are you getting it "to PDF"?

Alvin Gregorio

* March 26, 2014, 02:26:05 PM
PS = PostScript
I have Acrobat and print to the PDF printer.

March 26, 2014, 02:28:22 PM
Just as a test, I printed the attached drawing Paperspaces:
  • First to PDF, then to my very cheap little Lexmark printer (Paperspace 1)
  • Then directly to my very cheap Lexmark printer (Paperspace 2)

Both times, when I measure my ruler with a real-world ruler (an architect's scale, actually), the length and height (1") were exact.

Give 'er a shot; tell us what happens.
Due to margins, and paper size, the ends of the ruler won't make it in the print.  That's okay.  Still print 1:1, full-size; not clicking on any settings that will adjust the size for you in the process of getting it to paper.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 02:37:59 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

* March 26, 2014, 02:32:43 PM
Can't open it.  I'm in TC Pro 15.  It thinks the file is corrupt.

March 26, 2014, 02:37:32 PM
Can't open it.  I'm in TC Pro 15.  It thinks the file is corrupt.

Sorry.  Forgot you were in 15.  I'm in 19.  Can only save two versions back.  Will Save as .dwg (AC 2000).  Attached.

Alvin Gregorio

* March 26, 2014, 07:41:32 PM
Have you done a test with a new/different drawing? That would tell you if it is a problem with the drawing.
If it still has a problem post a pdf here and see if someone would be kind enough to print a test for you to see if it prints correctly.

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

* March 27, 2014, 09:34:23 AM
OK, here is a TCW and PDF of a grid all by itself.  The test print is on the quadrant.  I got:

15.5/16  Print to PDF then PS
15.3/16 Print to PDF then PCL
14.6/16 Print direct to PS
16/16 Print direct to PCL

The last one looks accurate to me, which is not what I was getting before, but I can't explain the variation.  It would be interesting to know what results one got on different printers.

* March 27, 2014, 12:46:40 PM
The "Quadrant" page in the drawing printed out perfect to me. The grid lines were 1 inch apart in both directions on an old HP Deskjet 1220C.

Your PDF, when printed at "Actual size" came out wrong; the grid spacing was less than an inch.

I generated an Adobe PDF, then printed it to "Actual size" and the grid spacing came out perfect.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2020
Designer, Deluxe, (Basic, Expert, Professional), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1909), 64-bit

* March 27, 2014, 12:56:27 PM
Well, now, that's confusing.  Nice that a straight print comes out right since it reinforces my sense that possibly inkjets are true and lasers not, but I can't explain why my PDF wouldn't be the same as your PDF.

* March 27, 2014, 01:20:05 PM
I went to the "Quadrant" paperspace page.
Made sure the Viewport scale was set to 1:72.
Right-clicked on the Printer icon to go to the Page Setup dialog.
Made sure both settings matched; same size and orientation, printing scale was 1:1.
OK'd out of there and went to the Printer (Ctrl+P).
Printed the page to the actual printer or Adobe PDF using the "All" Print Range setting.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 01:21:38 PM by John R »

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2020
RedSDK enabled

* March 27, 2014, 01:35:56 PM
So, we're doing the same things.

The really disappoint part for me is getting different results for straight print and print of the PDF.  I suppose I could always work through PDF, if I could get that right, but the whole exercise is pointless if it can't be done from PDF.

It is also maddening that the results for me are inconsistent between the two methods.  I.e., if PS was always smaller than PCL I could understand that, but for me, PCL is more accurate printing straight and slightly less accurate printing from PDF.

* March 27, 2014, 02:27:56 PM
I've never knew there was such a thing as PCL (Printer Command Language), but then I've never had a laser printer. I've used a PS (PostScript) driver for a large format printer to generate high resolution (600dpi) PRN (Printer Text File) files long ago. Now that I have Acrobat, I can skip that.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2020
RedSDK enabled

* March 27, 2014, 02:40:08 PM
As I recall, PCL was an HP thing originally, then lots of people emulated it before the move to PS happened.

I wouldn't mind printing to PDF and then to the printer, but I don't seem to be able to get that to work ... :(

I've been on the phone with Xerox for close to an hour with no joy except for a hint that it is scaling the page to account for the unprintable margins.  Seems like, if it really is doing that, they could just say so and I could compensate, but getting clear answers from tech support isn't always easy.

* March 28, 2014, 09:10:23 AM
Well, I spent a rather frustrating hour on the phone with Xerox technical support making essentially no progress, but at the end she suggested testing the issue with other software.  It wasn't immediately obvious how to do that since CAD is the one application which tends to be concerned with such things, but in the end I drew an 8x10" text box in Word and printed that.  It was bang on 8x10" with both printers, both printed direct and printed to a PDF and then printed to both printers.  This suggests that the issue is not some inherent scaling which the printer is doing, but either TC itself failing to produce the right output or interacting with the print driver in some way.  Given that I am running TC Pro 15, there isn't much hope of getting IMSI to explore this without upgrading, so I guess I need to forget printing exact scale and fall back on the ruler, which has some pluses anyway, e.g., being able to fill the paper better.

Thanks for all the help.

March 28, 2014, 09:34:49 AM
How come you aren't working at full scale in Model space and then just scaling your viewports? It seems a rather confusing way to me to do that and something that is likely to be prone to error.

* March 28, 2014, 09:40:44 AM
I am working at full scale in model space ( 1" = 1" ) and then scaling the viewports.

* March 29, 2014, 05:31:30 AM
Check that
The drawing you attached model space scale isn't 1:1.

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

* March 29, 2014, 07:03:31 AM
??? Here is what my screen says.  The only change I have made here since the discussion started was to up the decimals.

March 29, 2014, 07:24:36 AM
??? Here is what my screen says.  The only change I have made here since the discussion started was to up the decimals.

Look at the Name of your Workspace in your screen-capture.  It is "Sensory".  That indicates that you are sharing with us the Space Units for a Paperspace.

If you were sharing with us the Space Units page from Modelspace-- which is what Don Cheke is referring to in Reply #40-- the Name at the top would be "Model".

Go back to Modelspace and then check the Space Units page.

EDIT:
Although:  Personally, I have never found that Model Space/(Name="Model"/Space Units/Scale setting to matter for anything other than printing from Modelspace.  I have never found it to effect what I am drawing.  It's not like, say... if I change that Scale value to 1:2, and draw something 100-units long (by typing that value in a Length field), it was actually going to end up being only 50-units long in my Modelspace.
   Intuitively, one would think that is what that Scale setting in Space Units is for; but I have found that it is not.  It only effects the printing scale--from Modelspace (is what my [limited] experience has led me to believe).
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 08:09:36 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

* March 29, 2014, 07:30:05 AM
Right you are.  I have no idea where 1" = 19'-2 1/2" came from.   Can I just change it now?   What will happen?

Also, when working on something of this size, do you recommend Units = in or ft?

March 29, 2014, 07:34:53 AM
Right you are.  I have no idea where 1" = 19'-2 1/2" came from.   Can I just change it now?   What will happen?

Also, when working on something of this size, do you recommend Units = in or ft?

Please read my edited appendix to my just-previous Post Reply #44.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 09:42:51 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

March 29, 2014, 07:44:40 AM

You can change it (again, read my edit/appendix to my just-previous Post Reply #44).

If you change from one Unit type to another (inches to feet-- "-to-'),  Be sure to tick "Convert Units after Alteration"! (might as well tick "Convert Materials after Alteration" as well).
   If you don't what was once 12"(inches) will become (12'(feet).

Whether to use inches or feet (" or '):
     If what you are drawing is as large or larger than a football field, and you don't need that minute of accuracy:  Use feet (or '); and maybe "Decimal" as the Format.
         Likewise, if what you are drawing is a building or smaller (in the USA), you likely want to use "Architectural" as Format and in or " as Unit, with a Precision of about 4 (1/16").
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 09:43:11 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

* March 29, 2014, 07:47:38 AM
OK, thanks.  I guess in the future I should be more open to starting from scratch, but I start a new drawing so rarely, that I don't remember what I did the last time.

Thanks for all your help.  This is really a terrific forum.

March 29, 2014, 10:20:29 AM
I'd like to add something, regarding my last three Posts.  The edit/appendix in Reply #44 in particular:

Though I have found the Space Units Scale setting in Modelspace/Space Units to be only applicable to the scale at which printing will occur when printing from Modelspace, I find it useful to change this Space Units Scale (Modelspace) to whatever my eventual Viewports in Paperspace scale will be.
    If I am using different scale values in multiple Paperspace Viewports, I might be changing that Modelspace Space Units Scale value often, depending on what aspect of the drawing I am working on (what will be in which Viewport in Paperspace, at which scale).

The reason I do this:
     While drawing in Modelspace, I click on Zoom/Printed Size often (I actually have a button on my Menu Bar, in my preferred custom Workspace).  That way I can quickly ascertain what my Pen Dash-scales, Text, Dimensions, ... everything... will look like when eventually printed from a Viewport in Paperspace.
     Once I ascertain this, I might create a Property Values Preset to reflect such, so that I don't have to keep changing the settings as I draw similar Objects that will be in same-scaled Viewports in Paperspace.

FWTW  -Alvin

Alvin Gregorio