TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

Custom true type font not working in TCv16
Read 3430 times
* May 20, 2009, 01:07:18 PM
Where I work we use a custom font to type our logo. We have used it for years, also since TCv6. When typing after selecting the "vectra2" font, you type "A" (capitol) to get "VE" in a special font, then type "B" to get "CT", and then type "C" to get "RA". So after typing "ABC" you see "VECTRA" in the custom font. In TC version 16, if I open any pre-v16 file that has this text already in the file, I just see "ABC" in what looks like Arial, but the font selects and shows as vectra2 font. Also, when making new text in v16, I can select vectra2 font and type, but it just shows as "ABC" not "VECTRA".
This font has always worked in other applications and older Turbocad versions, even v15.
I can not post this type of file, or I would. Also, after the error message stating I could not post this type of file occured, I could not post without the file (it said I had already posted). So, I logged out and in to post this topic.
Any ideas?
Thank you,
Kent

May 20, 2009, 01:27:53 PM
Some of us have found font issues in V16. I am not sure what has been changed in the program to affect fonts, but it has been mentioned to the powers that be. Hopefully it is being investigated.

* May 20, 2009, 04:03:03 PM
re: I just see "ABC" in what looks like Arial

Try "Text Styles" in the Style Manager.
Create a new style; Vectra.
Change the Font to your Vectra font.
Go to the Text tool, and choose "Vectra" from the "Text Styles" list.
The list is available in either the Properties dialog or Selection Info.
The text you enter should be in the Vectra font.

If you use it a lot in a drawing, you could create a "Preset" (formerly Entity Style) on the Properties/General page. Then call up the Preset from the Property toolbar when needed.

John R.

[attachment deleted by admin]

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

* May 20, 2009, 06:09:56 PM
Thank you for your time and good replies.
I think I did what you said (see attachment) and the custom font was still not working. Going forward I could explode the text in version 15 (in about 15 different drawing templates I have)and that should show up in version 16. This does not address about 3,000 drawings already done.
Thank you again,
Kent

[attachment deleted by admin]

* May 20, 2009, 08:23:10 PM
I'm not sure why that didn't work.

If you create a line of text with the Standard text style,
then select the text and go to the Selection Info palette,
then goto General/Text Styles and change to a different style,
the text should change to the new style.

I would make a third style with a normal font, such as Wide Latin, and see if a line of text will change from the Standard style to that style. If that works, but your Vectra doesn't, then you know something in TC doesn't like you font.

John R.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

* May 29, 2009, 02:54:35 PM
Someone I work with just loaded his v16 TC. I had him try our custom true type font first thing. It DID work for him... Then I had him install the latest update and I did not try again yet with him. I did not try this on my computer with the 34.4 build, which worked for him.
I did as you said John, and added a 3rd text style and the text did switch to the different (but not the custom) font.
I just found something that did seem to work. In Options/preference, there is a check box for "old-style text output". After checking this box and clicking OK twice because of a dialog box warning of some new functions not working,  the custom font DID seem to work. When I select the custom 2d text the selection box only sizes to the first letter not the whole text and when I rotate view with mouse wheel, it behaves oddly, always seeming to look at the camera and not rotating normally as when I uncheck the "old-style text output" box.
Thank you,
Kent