TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

Drawing template properties
Read 11195 times
November 09, 2009, 01:28:06 PM
I have been filling in my template the long way and I am wondering, I want to get lazy, is there a way of automating the process? Refer to attached file. I can go into Custom Properties and assign to the figures shown, but when it is updated or applied, it does not show.

Can someone of more knowledge help me here please?

[attachment deleted by admin]

CREO 3 and 5
SolidWorks 2017
TC2018 Pro Platinum.
TurboCad V21 Pro Platinum 64 bit. TurboCad V21 Pro Platinum 32 bit CADCAM.
TurboCAD 2015 ProPlat.
TurboCAD LTE/DoubleCAD Pro V7.
TurboCAD Deluxe V21 64 bit.
VISI 21 CADCAM
Christchurch, Middle Earth.

* November 09, 2009, 02:15:46 PM
Probably A VBA Macro would be the best way to go Steve, post a comment to Kevin Chapman on the programming sdk thread.

Mike Geraghty.

* November 09, 2009, 09:44:04 PM
Steve, I have made my text block as a file and when I want to make dimensions I use Insert File to call it up.  Everything is filled but the date, name, material.  I always paste an individual part into a new file then insert the text block file and it's ready for paperspace.  I haven't any idea how to do things automatically.  I know how it is to be lazy for I am constantly having to lift my elbow off the desk in order to use the keyboard. :-)

John B.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 09:50:25 PM by John B. »

John B.
TCv2019 Platinum
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
1 GB Hard Drive 16 GB RAM
AMD Radeon RX 580 Series

* November 11, 2009, 01:13:06 PM
See if this doesn't help your cause -
Explaination of using Block Attributes to fill in the data for Title Blocks

http://www3.turbocadcommunity.com/tiki-index.php?page=Block%20attribute

let us know either way.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 01:21:31 PM by Dave Taylor »

November 11, 2009, 02:30:04 PM
Thanks Dave, I will take a look.

CREO 3 and 5
SolidWorks 2017
TC2018 Pro Platinum.
TurboCAD 2015 ProPlat.
VISI 21 CADCAM

* November 14, 2009, 11:42:37 AM
I have been filling in my template the long way and I am wondering, I want to get lazy, is there a way of automating the process? Refer to attached file. I can go into Custom Properties and assign to the figures shown, but when it is updated or applied, it does not show.

Can someone of more knowledge help me here please?

Steve,

Like you, I have also gotten a bit lazy and decided to let the computer handle routine and repetitive tasks.  That's what they're for, right?  So, I created two title block drawings which have all the boxes, lines and general information which is on every drawing and then saved them as a symbols in my library.  One is set up for A size paper landscape, the other for A size paper portrait (the only two I use).  After creating a new blank page, I drag in the appropriate symbol and add the stuff specific to the drawing I'm working on.  It's a great time saver.

November 14, 2009, 03:13:03 PM
Hi Frank, yes I understand what your doing there.

What I would really like to see is a properites box where a number aof parameters can be set IE drawing number, author, date etc etc and these parameters are sorted at the begining of a drawing almost from the information in the Summary Info box, so that this information is transfered directly to the title block. Some extra things need to be added. I'll do something later today to so you what I mean. But basically, Title, Subject & Author are there, so could we use this information to load directly to the title block?

CREO 3 and 5
SolidWorks 2017
TC2018 Pro Platinum.
TurboCAD 2015 ProPlat.
VISI 21 CADCAM

* April 17, 2013, 03:01:39 PM
John R. Any idea where the article on the wiki site for this went?

http://www3.turbocadcommunity.com/tiki-index.php?page=Block%20attribute

April 17, 2013, 03:13:14 PM
I've used block attributes from the word go on Turbocad for filling in title blocks. It's very similar to what I used to do in Autocad. Sample attached for TC18.

Nick
(United Kingdom)
TurboCAD 20 Pro Platinum.
Windows 7 64 bit.

* April 17, 2013, 03:16:56 PM

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

* April 19, 2013, 06:11:49 AM
I discovered that you can use the database connection palette to change block attributes.
So once you have your title block set up create a microsoft access file. The header of the column should be the same as the block attribute tag.
If you have more then one drawing with the same info all you need to do is link to the appropriate entry in the database, sync the info and it will update.
Each new job can have a new entry in your database.

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

April 19, 2013, 07:54:30 AM
I take it that would mean I'd have to purchase Microsoft Access (I think that's a database program?) to do that though Nikki?

Nick
(United Kingdom)
Windows 7 64 bit.

* April 19, 2013, 08:19:25 PM
You can use other database programs. Access comes with microsoft office and there is a direct link to it via the database connect palette. You can also use excel. But I think you need to set up the excel file.
The other option is go to the database report and create a report using your block attributes then save it as a microsoft access file.Remember to add object id.  All the headings will be the tags. Remember to add object id
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 08:23:48 PM by nikkipollard »

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

April 20, 2013, 05:28:30 AM
I'm not sure though how that helps by using the database though Nikki. At the moment I just fill in the attributes for sheet one which is my template. For further sheets I just duplicate the first one and change sheet No and sheet title for each consecutive sheet. How would have a databse link improve on that?

Nick
(United Kingdom)
Windows 7 64 bit.

* April 21, 2013, 12:54:28 AM
Most projects I do I need more then one drawing. I find editing block attributes a tedious process especially if I have lots of drawings for one client.
I have a few different size sheets with different title blocks.They all use the same attributes tags for things like client details, name, adress  I find it easier to just fill out the database once then link to that database everytime I need those details. It saves the data to the file so if I start a new drawing I can link to the data without opening that drawing.
You are also generating a list of all your clients details. If you make a change to clients details - you wont need to go back and edit all the title blocks. When you do a sync data in that paper space the info updates.

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

April 21, 2013, 02:47:44 AM
How do you deal with consecutive sheet numbers and different sheet titles though?

Nick
(United Kingdom)
Windows 7 64 bit.

* April 21, 2013, 03:46:25 AM
You can still edit unique attributes the same way you always do
Or you can link more then one table to a block so if you use a numbering system you could have a separate table in your database with a list of drawing numbers and details and link that to each title block separately.

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

* April 22, 2013, 05:36:01 AM
I take it that would mean I'd have to purchase Microsoft Access (I think that's a database program?) to do that though Nikki?

Hi Nickam.

I feel you-- on the not owning, nor wanting the expense of purchasing, Microsoft Office and/or Access.

I use the free OpenOffice program; it's a very "strong" and reliable program, and very similar to Microsoft's Office program--- and- being that it's "open"-software- IT'S FREE!!

It even "Saves As" and Opens Microsoft file-types.
(I've used that method successfully within TurboCAD, as OLE Objects:  Type up a lengthy, formatted, General-Notes document, and Insert into TurboCAD as an OLE-Object, linked to that OpenOffice file.)

I would use my free OpenOffice Database program ("sub"-program-- you get a whole suite when you download) in TurboCAD for all the type of stuff that Nikki does (saving as a Microsoft file-type).

Anyway--  Check out the web-site linked above and download and install the program.  It is a very trustworthy site and program.  It's been around for many years and used by a lot of people.

-Alvin

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

April 22, 2013, 05:41:08 AM
Thanks Alvin, I do have Open Office, or did have before upgrading to Win7 the other month  :-\
I just never got round to learning another program  ::)
Trying to get to grips with the 3D part of Turbocad whilst still trying to get some good ole 2D drawings done (It's what I get paid for after all ;D). So, think for the moment I'll stick with attributes for the drawing sheets, thanks anyway for the heads up on that!

Nick
(United Kingdom)
Windows 7 64 bit.