TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

The purpose of these forums is to discuss TurboCAD.  Please keep the discussion of other products to compatibility issues or how the other software’s can be used with TurboCAD.

Roof Slice, Edit Subtract
Read 10992 times
* March 01, 2014, 09:32:48 AM
Trying to figure how to cut out part of a roof , for a taller wall and roof section. Editing the roof seems mess up its properties.

* March 01, 2014, 10:23:11 AM
You can use the opening tool, make a rectangle or another shape with a closed polyline and make a block out of it, use the opening tool and select the block, select "anchor to roof", be aware that this will make a hole ho is going 90 degree from the roof angle, it will not cut out vertical.

Or if the roof is like you want it, explode the roof, make it to a solid ( acis ) make another acis solid with correct size and BooleanSubtract it from the "roof"

Torfinn

V18, V19, V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17/ 18 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

* March 01, 2014, 10:53:08 AM
Great, I'll try that.

Are you any good on doors, trying to change swing of door, after it is inserted, can't seem to get that one. Only way I can do that so far is have it right before I insert it, also can't find anything for left hand or right hand swing.

Thanks

IV

* March 01, 2014, 11:08:40 AM
After inserting a door you can use the "edit tool" and select the door, choose flip inside/ outside,  flip left/ rigth, on the bottom left of the screen, same symbol as when you insert the door in first place.

Torfinn

RedSDK enabled

* March 01, 2014, 11:40:56 AM
OH, the "Edit Pointer" , I was just using the regular pointer. It's simple, when you know, sometimes it is just very hard to get to simple,

Thanks again.

* March 01, 2014, 12:40:26 PM
Great, I'll try that.

Are you any good on doors, trying to change swing of door, after it is inserted, can't seem to get that one. Only way I can do that so far is have it right before I insert it, also can't find anything for left hand or right hand swing.

Thanks

IV

What version number of TurboCAD are you using IV?  And is it Designer, Deluxe, Pro, or Platinum?
I have Pro Platinum 21

Are you using the Insert-> Architectural-> Door Tool; or the "old" Opening Tool?

« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 12:48:20 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* March 01, 2014, 12:43:44 PM
Trying to figure how to cut out part of a roof , for a taller wall and roof section. Editing the roof seems mess up its properties.

If you get it IV, can you post an image of the results and a brief description on how you accomplished it.

I've always thought of this being a limitation of TurboCAD's Architectural Roof Tool:  Roofs on different Wall heights... without Exploding, and doing some 3D Boolean operations.

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* March 01, 2014, 03:40:43 PM
Hi Alvin, haven't tried it yet, been trying to figure out doors and windows.

Here is the output I sent to the client, just a pdf, just to show the concept prelim shape of things floor plan not really even started good yet.

IV

* March 01, 2014, 05:21:34 PM
Hi Alvin, haven't tried it yet, been trying to figure out doors and windows.

Here is the output I sent to the client, just a pdf, just to show the concept prelim shape of things floor plan not really even started good yet.

IV

Your Entry Dining-Room Roof, IV:  Did you just extend it into the main roof-plane; then Explode and Slice the Roofs so as to create the valleys?
Or does TurboCAD 21 now have the ability to automatically create these valleys at roof-plane intersections, automatically deleting the extraneous portion?  (if so... that's a good great thing.)
Or-- better yet:  Does TurboCAD 21 now have the ability to place the single Roof Entity's vertices at Wall corners that are different heights?  (if so... wow!  That'd be an even greater thing!)

At first, I thought that maybe you had Hidden Line Render, with "Draw Intersections" active.
But then I noticed that where your Dining-Room Roof overhang and Garage roof-plane intersect, there is not a line visible.

-Alvin

By the way IV:  I'm having a heck of a time justifying the extra time and effort it takes to turn 3D House Models into actual 2D representations of "normal"-looking construction/permit-ready plans.  I know that Torfinn and Nikki use this method; but, though I feel I am proficient at drawing a house in 3D, as well as creating 2D drawings, the quasi of the two I am finding to be a real time-hog.
    It has a lot to do with Pen-Widths, Hatches, etc.  The things that we are used to seeing and drawing in professional house construction plans.
    Take footings for (one) example:  Professional house construction plans show them as heavy pen-width solid and dashed lines.  But if I go through the trouble of drawing the various sized footings in 3D, it's a heck of a time getting those to show in 2D Paperspace as they should.  (actually, I just have to draw 2D over them; create a new Layer; turn off visibility of the 3D Layer...  a lot of extra work for no extra pay.)
    I cuss myself every time I try it that way (3D-to-2D plans).  It just takes so much time and effort; especially considering that I'm not really impressing anyone (namely, Building Officials), and that I'm not getting compensated any more for my extra efforts.
    I am adopting this approach:  Draw in 3D just good enough to communicate with the client.  Then draw in 2D (like the old-normal) for construction/permit drawings.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 05:51:01 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

* March 01, 2014, 06:12:02 PM
Nope, just wanking away it, nothing slices or joins that I can find. I am trying to do this completely in 3d, or least the main plan. I am having a hell of a time.

These people want to pull a permit in a couple of weeks, so I was trying the 3d approach, cut up roofs are just to hard to draw in 2d, if the roof tool would work, it would be pretty easy. I have spent the last 2 hours trying to make an opening in a single wall, still no luck, it's crazy.

I am driving John and Darrel crazy , I know. I am bound and determined though, I will give it a couple more days.

The elevations come out pretty good, I just make the layers black, front , rear and sides definitely easier than drawing in 2 d.

I'll send you the file when I get farther along with it, I know your work is 100 times better looking than anything I ever did.

IV

* March 01, 2014, 06:31:39 PM
These people want to pull a permit in a couple of weeks, so I was trying the 3d approach, cut up roofs are just to hard to draw in 2d, if the roof tool would work, it would be pretty easy.

Man, if I had clients ready to pull a permit-- which means ready to put dollars in my pocket-- I definitely wouldn't be trying to do a quasi-3D/2D model/construction-plans.  In my opinion, we can get construction-ready, permit-ready plans done so much quicker in 2D only.
Especially if no one is paying me for the extra time and effort for drawing a 3D model.

Here's what I do for roofs of any complexity (in 2D, since TurboCAD doesn't automatically do anything but the most basic roofs well.  By "basic" I mean single plate-height.):

In 2D:
Everything's floor-plan driven.  Once that's pretty much finalized, and I have determined desired ceiling-heights and wall-heights (not always necessarily the same thing), I draw the roof-"skeleton"- in 2D.  In a particularly complex roof, even I-- as an experienced framer that is pretty proficient at calculating and cutting & stacking roofs in the field-- I might have to rely on my elevations for this 2D roof-"skeleton" plan.
    For a new-construction house, I'll usually start with the front elevation.  I draw this the way I was taught in high-school, pencil-on-paper-- by bringing down Construction Lines from the house corners and the roof-skeleton lines (fascia, ridges, hips, valleys, intersection points thereof).  If I get stuck here, and my framer-brain doesn't kick in, I'll start drawing the side elevations.
    To draw the side elevations, I make a copy of the 2D Plan View with Walls, Doors, Windows, Roof visible, and rotate 90° and over to the right; and 270° and over to the left.
    Now I have a Plan View, two rotated plan views on each side of it, and a front elevation.  For a particularly complex roof, maybe none of these are actually finished yet.
    So I start drawing my side elevations, based on what I know, using Construction Lines for reference-- horizontals between the elevations; verticals between the plan-views and the respective elevations.
    Figuring out roof-lines for one "view", aids me in filling in the unknowns in all the other views.  Sort of like a crossword puzzle:  We start by entering what we know, and those help us fill what we don't yet know, and the puzzle becomes easier and easier to fill in.

Alvin Gregorio

* March 01, 2014, 06:54:12 PM
Attached are a couple of files showing the process I just described in my just-previous Post.
Though this is not a complex roof, it shows the method I use.

This particular house was a measured as-built I did for an architect, so it is not anywhere near a complete drawing.

I use Layer Sets, and my Drawing would be a complete mess without them.  So you'll want to click through the various Layer Sets when viewing.

-Alvin
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 05:01:50 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

* March 02, 2014, 01:59:38 AM
Sounds pretty much the way I do 2d Elevations. I tend to work all the horizontal lines off a full section, that gives me the fascia, and ridge lines of the elevations, then I add doors , windows and hatching.

But I am thinking if I do all this in 3d, once I figure out the tools, it will be quicker, plus I get presentation 3d, which I hopefully can put on a 3d pdf file for customers view.

Did you intend to send a tc drawing, I see the png's.

Pluggin Away

Thanks

IV

* March 02, 2014, 05:25:43 AM

But I am thinking if I do all this in 3d, once I figure out the tools, it will be quicker, plus I get presentation 3d, which I hopefully can put on a 3d pdf file for customers view.

I believe that's exactly how users such as Torfinn and Nikki think and operate.  They've been influencing me to change to that method for years.
Again, though I have tried a few times, I keep reverting to 2D only-- for actual construction plans... for the reasons I detailed in a couple of Posts previously.*

*Example:
I have a 2-car garage+shop that I am contracted to build.  Just got the go-ahead yesterday.
The homeowner knew what he wanted for the floorplan, but the roof-design options were up in the air.
I drew five quick 3D models showing the roof design alternatives (in my version 11.2-Pro-- due to the Roof-Tool limitations in 19-Deluxe).
I think that helped set me apart from other contractors (that can't draw and don't want to pay an outside agency for doing so... just for bidding/sales purposes), and it communicated fully the design options and "enthused" the client to proceed.
Today I will produce the construction plans.  Because I can do that full-tilt in 2D-- as fast as my system and TurboCAD can keep up with my pointing, clicking, and typing-- I won't even use the 3D model for anything but a visual reference.
If I were to go the "quasi"-3D/2D method, I would have a whole bunch of Layers, settings, etc. (and I do mean a whole bunch) of extra stuff that I would have to pause and stop and think about and set up, etc.
Because I'm not impressing anyone, and no one is paying me any extra for such, I have to force myself not to even think about including the 3D model-- except for maybe one or two Isometric or Dimetric Views on the Cover Sheet, just to quickly orient everyone as to what the project is.

Maybe someday (when I own a newer Pro version) I'll consistently change to the 3D/2D method, and it will result in less drawing-hours to produce not only 3D representation models, but 2D construction plans as well.
That's something I am meaning to maybe post to Don Cheke; Textual Creations:  In his recent Architectural (house) tutorials, has he-- or does he intend to-- publish a tutorial that shows an efficient system of setting up and executing an architectural house drawing that is both a 3D model and 2D construction plans, ready for the building officials' permitting review and for the construction trades.  The process of which takes equal or less time (and mental energy) than just drawing it in 2D.

Did you intend to send a tc drawing, I see the png's.

Yes, yes I did.  I added it to that Post, replacing the extraneous .pdf.

Alvin Gregorio

* March 02, 2014, 05:46:50 AM
Can you quickly tell me (us) IV how you went about creating the valleys in the Roof of your house 3D model (which you attached a .pdf of previously in this thread).
I know how I would do it; just wondered how you do it/did it.  -Alvin

Alvin Gregorio

* March 02, 2014, 06:13:37 AM
Alvin, email me,

qfci@windstream.net

I'll send the current train wreck. Way early for public consumption.

IV

* March 02, 2014, 07:38:37 AM
IV,  From the email you sent to me, you wrote:

"As far as the valleys, not sure what valleys you’re talking about, the roof tool does all of that. I was having problems with the pdf print out from before, it was not showing the valleys on the higher roof, so I had to free hand some lines on the title block. Seems to be working fine now, some sort of anomaly."

In my versions of TurboCAD, TurboCAD does not have the capability of "intersecting" Roofs on different Workplanes (Wall-heights).
For instance, in your drawing that you attached a .pdf of earlier in this thread:
  • I assume you drew a Roof, with the Workplane being the top of the majority of the house and garage Walls
  • Then you changed your Workplane to the top of the Dining Room Walls, and drew a Roof on those Walls, and "running it into" the attic-space of the house Roof
  • I guess the "valley" lines I am seeing is the "free hand" lines you drew in Paperspace
  • I was wondering/hoping that the most recent version of TurboCAD would automatically "chop off" that extraneous portion of the Dining Room Roof (the portion in the house attic) and thereby create the valleys.
"Anomaly":  Perhaps you now have "Draw Intersections" checked in your Hidden Line Render settings.  That would make those valley lines appear (along with the line where the Dining Room overhang/fascia intersects the Garage Roof).

Alvin Gregorio

* March 02, 2014, 08:00:36 AM
IV.  In your email to me you wrote:
"After I read your post, I exploded the current roof to subtract a box in the dining room of the main roof, that seemed to work. Problem is, I don’t think I can convert it back to a roof, so the roof editing tools don’t work."

Yeah... that's the drag of it.
We all talk on these Forums of how to slice and dice, add and subtract... to create complex Roofs.  But as soon as we do, that Roof Entity is no longer a Roof Entity.  There's been a lot of comment on that over the years.

I was hoping that Dave and IMSI/Design-TurboCAD had attended to that in this version-21... maybe 22.

____
Which takes us back to your original Post, this Topic.  "Editing the roof seems to mess up its properties."
Meaning that doing any 3D Boolean operation to Roofs, in order to draw anything more than just the most basic Roof, causes those Roof Entities to longer be TurboCAD Roof Entities with all its particular settings and modifiabilities.

Just for presentation purposes (I wouldn't send it to a CNC machine ;)):   Hidden Line Render with "Draw Intersections" active works fairly well in most cases.

Alvin Gregorio

* March 03, 2014, 01:56:07 AM
Alvin I don't do a 100 % 3d model. Furniture etc, sanitary ware, piping are all 2d.
I use the wall tool to draw foundations - if (rarely) its a flat site.
If its a sloped site I leave them off my 3d model.
I have created parametric 2d trusses for my sections.
I don't use the architectural window and door tools but have created blocks for stock windows available locally.
These blocks contain all the information ,using attributes, that I need to generate window schedules.
For custom windows and doors I have made parametric symbols which I use to quickly create doors and windows.
I have also made a lot of other parametric symbols like columns and boundary walls.

That said I have been doing work for an architect recently and I have found that it is easier to work in 2d. Because he still draws on the board and gets the plan right before thinking of the elevations. It seems more time consuming to work this way.
I have had to retrain myself to go back and change each elevation every time there is a change.

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

* March 03, 2014, 02:34:38 AM
NIK, I to wish to convert to 3d builds of a new homes, probably would not work as good on small room additions, but maybe.

I am ready to add siding, stone, and so on to my elevations, the elevation are just front, rear and side views of the 3d house.

I have figured out windows, but the single hung sash that raises is on the outside, can't seem to change that around. Also, can't seem to create a glass lite entry door in style manager, I wish there was a catalog. And, then a 16' garage door, interior doors with casing and so on and so on.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ivey

* March 03, 2014, 03:49:42 AM
NIK, I to wish to convert to 3d builds of a new homes, probably would not work as good on small room additions, but maybe.

I am ready to add siding, stone, and so on to my elevations, the elevation are just front, rear and side views of the 3d house.

I have figured out windows, but the single hung sash that raises is on the outside, can't seem to change that around. Also, can't seem to create a glass lite entry door in style manager, I wish there was a catalog. And, then a 16' garage door, interior doors with casing and so on and so on.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ivey

Use the edit tool and select flip inside/ outside if you are finish to insert the windows, else do it when inserting

Torfinn

Edit :
If you want a window in a door you need to make a profil, and make a connection between the profile and door and you can get whatever shape you want.

A "casing" i dont know what is ( the meaning of word:)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 03:56:09 AM by Torfinn »

RedSDK enabled

* March 03, 2014, 04:47:05 AM
Alvin I don't do a 100 % 3d model. Furniture etc, sanitary ware, piping are all 2d.
I use the wall tool to draw foundations - if (rarely) its a flat site.
If its a sloped site I leave them off my 3d model.
I have created parametric 2d trusses for my sections.
I don't use the architectural window and door tools but have created blocks for stock windows available locally.
These blocks contain all the information ,using attributes, that I need to generate window schedules.
For custom windows and doors I have made parametric symbols which I use to quickly create doors and windows.
I have also made a lot of other parametric symbols like columns and boundary walls.

That said I have been doing work for an architect recently and I have found that it is easier to work in 2d. Because he still draws on the board and gets the plan right before thinking of the elevations. It seems more time consuming to work this way.
I have had to retrain myself to go back and change each elevation every time there is a change.

Sure wish you lived.... liked just on the other side of town Nikki.

I have long been so curious as to your TurboCADing process and results for architectural work.

It'd be great to be able to sit down with you and have you explain your process, and ask my questions...

-Alvin

[EDIT]:  To me, the key word in your brief explanation of your process Nikki is "Parametric".  I know that Torfinn uses the "Parametric" feature extensively for his architectural work as well.

If I owned a recent Pro version, I would jump all over that Parametric feature.  Parametric Parts-- along with associativity (sort of like Constraints... move a bearing Wall, the Roof moves with it) is what I am most envious of that I see in other, Architectural-specific CAD programs.

Example:  That roof-truss has a span of 6000mm; a pitch of 8:12; 2x4 bottom-chord; 2x6 top-chord...  Enter those values in the appropriate Parametric fields, and... walla!... my truss is designed.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 05:05:29 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

* March 03, 2014, 05:06:43 AM
I did a quick play with the Bakersfield house yesterday.
Done in Metric/ mm so i guess not all the measurement is correct, but it's pretty close and the outer bondary shold be, there it's also a door with profile for the glass, so there you can see how it work, just rember to be i wireframe and world workplane, top view if you go to Style/ Profile for looking.
Also be shore to stay in 2D mode when making new profiles( i normaly forget, but found the workaound :)

The file is to big, so need to zip it

Torfinn

RedSDK enabled

* March 04, 2014, 01:50:44 AM
Thanks Torfinn, I'll study your work.

Ivey

* March 04, 2014, 02:47:53 AM
You're welcome

It's just a simple drawing, with no materials, i basicaly use wrapped image for this and i guess you dont have the same :)
Ofcourse i would have been used component wall's as this is the most common in Norway.

This is like something i would have been making if i only should give a price for building the house, based on the pdf's,
by doing so i very easy see if there is some constrution detail's i need to be awere of.
And some of  the time i use for the drawing i get back when i use the TC database tool for drag the info i need out again for calculations, and TC will give me the correct amount on the mm2 and not forget a wall or something :)

Torfinn

RedSDK enabled

* March 05, 2014, 01:29:20 AM
Maybe you could give a brief how-to, to show materials on the different wall facets. Like the dining ext wall will have stacked stone, the remainder of the house, will just be Hardie lap siding and trim. I wish I could just show this on the elevation views, and an iso render.

Putting this on the surfaces in 3d would use too much resources.

Ivey

* March 05, 2014, 05:04:31 AM
Hi Ivey

Attach some png's thats show the house with some materials, normaly i have this redy before making a house, but this one was just a standard so i go in and just added them on.
1 png show the house and witch layer and filter there has been used on this drawing
2 roof is of :)
3 closed the interior wall, selected the exsterior wall's with ctrl + T, and then wall, ok.
   selection Info,wall properties and find some material i have made from wrapped image, rigt side = outside.
4 closed the exterior and open interior, same as 3
5 On the windows i think i just was going in to Style Manager and changed it there, but not sure maybe same as the wall, by SI
   i also just used a color there, else the materil very often can showing "wrong" direction, to mutch work for making it correct i think so not worth it

The "stone wall" is actually a gardenstone but scaled up and on a distance, nobody can see that :), this wall i selected one more time and changed just that one on the rigth side to "stone"

If you zoom in to the roof you will see that the some not going correct way on all faces, thats the behavior after exploding, if you want it correct way you will need to split ( slice from top view ) the roof in different part, make a copy of the material and rotate it 90 degree, change on different faces so it stand correct on all .

And the most important, make a copy of the standard wall, select all the wall to that one before starting to change anything :)

I dont care to mutch about it, easy to change back again and if i crack anything , a re-instal is normaly done in 15 min  ::)

And if you go in to view/ camera/.... you will find standard Dimetric view, nicer for a quick view then a normal iso in my opinion

Torfinn

RedSDK enabled

* March 06, 2014, 01:45:38 AM
Man, that is wonderful. Can you please send me your file. 

qfci@windstream.net

I will be daylight to dark on a pharmacy build out for the next few days, (have a pharmacist chomping at the bit), but will study it in depth, when I get the time.

Thanks for your interest.

Ivey

* March 06, 2014, 02:16:56 AM
Here you go Ivey

Attached a zip

Then i can test the e-pack from TC, looks like it have everything.

Torfinn

RedSDK enabled

* March 06, 2014, 02:00:34 PM
Thanks, I'll study it up.

IV