TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

Text Along An Arc
Read 3200 times
* January 04, 2014, 10:51:51 AM
Hello,

At the present I have TubroCAD 10 I bought on disk 50 million years ago. I did something some time back I did by instruction I found on-line, but can no longer find.

The place I found the instructions was here,

http://www.caddigest.com/subjects/turbocad/tutorials.htm

It was the 13th item down.

I have added a file of the effect I am trying to redo.

Would someone be able to point me to instructions to do this again since I no longer remember how it is done ?

Thank you so much,

Wayne

* January 04, 2014, 12:53:54 PM
I believe the info on Winston's TurboCAD pages is gone. The site owner closed up shop and went to a better paying job. There's an article in the Wiki for "Text Along Curve" that might help. You could send Winston a message and see if he still has it.

What exactly are you attempting to do with this dial; make it 3D?

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

* January 04, 2014, 06:24:07 PM
Thank you for your response and information John R

I am not trying to do any thing exotic with it. I am just trying to duplicate, on other dials for different purposes, the same effect. The process of putting text along a curve with the text being vertical. 

Nothing too extreme. I know it can be done. I did it. I just do not remember how.

Thank you for a possible direction to go. I will try to contact Mr. Winston if you do not think he will be too upset by being contacted this way.

Thank you again,

Wayne

January 05, 2014, 05:57:13 PM
Wayne, Is this what you are after... when you say "vertical"?

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* January 05, 2014, 11:43:46 PM
Thank you for your response Alvin,

Not really. I don't think I should have used the term vertical. I am trying to redo the effect of the dial I attached originally. I am trying to get the text around the dials to read as reading a book. I just cannot remember how to do it again.

I hope I have been a Little more clear as to what I am trying to do. I do thank you for the work you did to respond to my post.

Again Thanks,

Wayne

* January 06, 2014, 12:26:36 AM
Is this what you want? Since the text was already in place, I just selected each number and rotated it plus or minus 10, 30, etc degrees.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

* January 06, 2014, 01:17:43 AM
Maybe use the "Radial Fit Copy" tool, set the 1 number-line etc where you want it on rigt side of the arc, select it and use RFC, set how many you want, set the center and set the endpoint, voila :)
Just remember to set the text to Non-Rotable first if you want them to stand in same way like your attach.

Torfinn

V20, V21, 2015/ 16/ 17/ 18/ 19 Pro. Platinum
Deluxe 2015/ 16/ 19
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Home Premium 64 bit, 32 GB
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780m, 1 GB

January 06, 2014, 05:20:33 AM
Yes, Wayne, what Torfinn Posted is what I would also recommend.  Though, depending on the outcome you desire, I don't know if Radial Fit Copy would be the preferred Tool over Radial Copy (not Fit) (both Tools will likely work equally as well for this particular drawing).

However, to replicate your file:  It seems that those Text were just placed by "eyeballing it", using no Snaps.  One reason I think that is that all the Text justifications are different, and none of their reference-points are snapped to anything consistent. (also, for whatever it's worth:  one Text (1.9) is a Group, and one (1.7) is a Block Attribute Definition; at least that's how they come up in my version-19-Deluxe)

-Alvin

I created the screen-capture drawing below by:
(this is with my Options/Drawing Setup... Angle settings at "Degrees" & "Counterclockwise")
  • Deleted your Texts, except the "2.5" at 0°
  • Changed that Text's justification to "Center/Bottom"
  • Inserted a horizontal Construction Line at that point which is the intersection of all your Angular Construction Lines, which is also the Center Point of your Arcs and Construction Circles
  • Relocated that "2.5" Text to the intersection of the outer-most Construction Circle & that horizontal Construction Line I just placed
  • With the use of some Snapped Construction Lines on the (invisible) Text Box, and by relocating the rotation-knob of the selected Text, rotated the Text to the orientation shown (Selected, then in Inspector Bar, rotate 270°)
  • Relocated that Text's Reference Point to that same point referenced in Step-3 (not necessary, but I did it anyway... in case I wanted the Texts to have that reference-point location for a potential later use)
  • Selected that Text, and used the Radial Copy Tool (not Fit); the center-point of the rotation being that same point described in Step-3; 10 Sets, rotated 20°
  • Edited each Text
-Alvin
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 07:24:16 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* January 06, 2014, 04:52:17 PM
I would like to Thank you all. I have a lot to think about A lot of ideas and lots of direction. I think I will be able to come up with new dials I will be happy with.

Thank you all so much for the ideas and work. You are all Champs. There are good people in the world.

Happy New Year,

Wayne