TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

Snaps
Read 6908 times
* December 14, 2013, 01:14:17 PM
I've owned Turbocad for over ten years (different versions), but I very seldom use it so I'm not proficient at it and I don't understand the common cad terminology.  In other words, whereas I'm good at drawing plans ..... I'm a Turbocad dummy.

To the Point:  Say for example I want to do a middle point snap.  When I look at help it is seems very weak.  The picture below shows what help shows.  It's missing something.  So, to help me out, can someone list for me all the steps involved in doing a middle point snap?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 01:28:01 PM by hooperdoski »

* December 14, 2013, 01:37:29 PM
In the picture, they have the Magnetic Snap option active (Shift+W). If you have Middle Point running/active (Shift+M), then a little red rectangle will show up on the midpoint of the line when you place your cursor anywhere over the line. Click anywhere on the line, it snaps to that midpoint. If you have other snaps active, the cursor may snap to one of those points; make sure of where the magnetic point is before clicking.

I use the SEKE's or hotkeys instead of running snaps. I mouseover a line and hit the "M" key and the cursor snaps to the middle of the line.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

* December 14, 2013, 01:53:06 PM
Thank you very much.  What help didn't explain is that you have to have the menu snap choice turned with the exception of the middle point snap turned on.  One thing I learned also is that there are many cases where the SEKEs might be the better way.  Thanks so much

December 14, 2013, 01:59:17 PM
Can someone list for me all the steps involved in doing a middle-point snap?

There are at least three (maybe only three) different ways of executing a Snap:
  • SEKE:  Single Equivalent Keyboard Entry-- Tap a particular key on your keyboard, and the Snap is executed (if your Snap Aperture  is in such a location that the Snap invoked is possible.  [Snap Aperture is made visible via Workspace|Cursor ])
  • Local Snap:  Available on the Local Menu by right-clicking on the TurboCAD desktop (again, a Snap is only possible if your Snap Aperture is in such a location that the Snap invoked is possible)
  • Running Snap:  The selected Snap(s) is/are active and will execute when the Snap Aperture is located such that the selected Snap(s) are possible.
Let's concentrate on Running Snaps, assuming that is what you are normally used to using.  There are a couple of fundamental settings you need to know about.  Snap Settings is available via Menu Bar/Modes/Snaps/Snap Options..., or by right-clicking on "Snaps" down at the bottom of the TurboCAD desktop.

In those Snap Settings:

Show Magnetic Point...:  I don't know when it is ever beneficial to not have this active.  Leave it on until there is a very good reason not to.

Priority:  This is how we set which type of Snap will take "priority" over another when the cursor's (Snap Aperture) position is such that more than one type of Snap is possible  (example:  You have a Line with another Line that intersects very near it's middle-point.  You have both the Middle-Point Snap and the Intersections selected as active.  How does TurboCAD know which type of Snap to invoke?  If Middle-Point Snap priority was set to "2", and Intersection Snap priority was set to "3", the Middle-Point Snap would take "priority")

"In Aperture Only":   Another important setting.  The best way to explain that is with an example:  Let's say you have a Line.  That Line has two endpoints... or Vertex-es (Vertices).   Let's say you have only the Vertex Running Snap active.  If-- when executing some sort of action while drawing; i.e.:  inserting an Object or moving an Object-- you do not have "In Aperture Only" checked, and hover your cursor (Snap Aperture) over the Line, the Snap will occur automatically to the nearest Vertex (endpoint) of that Line.
    Conversely, in that same scenario, if you had "In Aperture Only" checked, it is only when your cursor (Snap Aperture) is actually in a position such that either of the Vertex-es (Vertices) of that Line are in the Snap Aperture will the Vertex Running Snap be executed.

I would say, for a semi-experienced User such as yourself, that is having issues with the Middle-Point Snap in particular, but generally knows how Snaps work, it is very likely that the "Priority" and/or "In Aperture Only" settings in the Snap Settings is the issue.   Example:  What if you have a Line.  You have active both the Vertex Running Snap and the Middle-Point Running Snap.  In the Snap Settings, Vertex Priority is set to "1" and its "In Aperture Only" is not checked, and the Middle-Point Priority is set to "3".  If you hover your cursor (Snap Aperture) over the middle-point of that Line, based on those settings, the magnetic-point and the snap will occur at the nearest endpoint (Vertex) of that Line.

Check and experiment with those settings.  See if that helps you.  I know you asked for step-by-step instruction on using the Middle-Point Snap, but that's really hard to do... because it's so basic.  Activate the Snap and put the cursor in the middle of something.  (remember, I'm limiting this lengthy contribution to Running Snaps; I'm not going into SEKEs or Local Snaps-- that's too much to cover in this one Post.)

THE END
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 04:47:42 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
Intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 (ver6.5).  No formal CAD Training.
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

December 14, 2013, 02:09:03 PM
... What help didn't explain is that you have to have the menu snap choice turned with the exception of the middle point snap turned on. ...

hooper--  If what you are trying to say (in quote above) is that we have to have all other Snaps turned off-- except for the Middle-Point Snap--  in order to invoke the Middle-Point Snap-- either by SEKE, Local Snap, or Running Snap-- that is not true.

Alvin Gregorio
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* December 14, 2013, 02:21:02 PM
Alvin, I'm impressed.  Wow!

A lot to study there, but I will try to learn each one.

Thanks

December 14, 2013, 02:32:55 PM
A lot to study there, but I will try to learn each one.

Yeah, unfortunately for all those who take the time to read my Posts... I'm a pretty good typist, and not afraid to use it.  :-\
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 10:23:47 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

* December 14, 2013, 03:30:17 PM
I only have two things checked in my Drawing Aids dialogs. "No Snap" at the top and "Turn "No Snap" off…" at the bottom. If I do turn on a running snap option, "No Snap" is turned off automatically. Otherwise, I could end up snapping anywhere.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* December 14, 2013, 03:41:05 PM
I only have two things checked in my Drawing Aids dialogs. "No Snap" at the top and "Turn "No Snap" off…" at the bottom. If I do turn on a running snap option, "No Snap" is turned off automatically. Otherwise, I could end up snapping anywhere.

Me too.

Henry H

December 14, 2013, 03:41:53 PM
Me too.  Henry H

Personal preference John and Henry?  Or something you would advise for all/most Users?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 03:44:32 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

* December 14, 2013, 03:44:16 PM
Personal preference.

I used running snaps from V1 'til about V6/7, then went with SEKE's most of the time. Running snaps are good when starting out, but I've become accustomed to using these hotkeys.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 03:50:20 PM by John R »

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* December 14, 2013, 03:48:11 PM
Me too.  Henry H

Personal preference John and Henry?  Or something you would advise for all/most Users?

Personal preference, but I would suggest trying it.

Henry H

December 14, 2013, 03:52:43 PM
I have found-- in my 2D architectural construction-plans drawing-- Snap "Priorities" not being set specifically, and, especially, having "In Aperture Only" not checked for Vertex, to be very much cumbersome.

I guess one could always just turn off all Running Snaps until they want to invoke a certain Running Snap (so that there is always only one active), but that seems to defeat the purpose of Running Snaps and adds some clicks to the process.

Personal preference, I guess. ???  -Alvin

Alvin Gregorio

December 14, 2013, 04:07:12 PM
Personal preference, but I would suggest trying it.
Henry H

I will definitely try the "only have two things checked in my Drawing Aids dialogs. "No Snap" at the top and "Turn "No Snap" off…" thing.  That makes good sense. 

But to say that I don't want to have any other settings checked (particularly, Vertex's "In Aperture Only") in Drawing Aids/Snap Settings... with the type of drawing I do, I'm not so sure it fits for me.  95% of the time I have Vertex and Intersection Running Snaps checked; Middle-Point about 25% of the time; and Divide maybe 5% of the time- for a very specific reason.  Everything else is usually a SEKE or a Local Snap.  Contrary to what you might think, having read that I have Running Snaps turned on almost all the time, I use SEKEs for well over half of my Snap-ping.

I do much prefer to have active "Show Magnetic Point..." when using Running Snaps and Local Snaps.  Oftentimes I find that my Snap Aperture location and Zoom-level are such that a SEKE could go to more than one "point", and I want to see what "point" TurboCAD intends that to be before I execute the Snap.

And Running Snaps versus a Local Snap... well, that's just a couple of more clicks and a millisecond or two of waiting for the Local Snap list to come up.

Like we said... personal preference.

-Alvin
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 03:28:51 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

* December 15, 2013, 01:47:01 AM
Personally, I use only SEKEs - with snaps turned off.
Yes, I know that I need one hand for the mouse and one to press the key, but I feel much more in control.

Gary Wooding
Win10 64-bit,
TC21.2 x64 Plat, Bld59
TC16.2 Plat, Bld54.0
TCC 3.5

* December 15, 2013, 08:22:09 AM
To the Point:  Say for example I want to do a middle point snap.  When I look at help it is seems very weak.  The picture below shows what help shows.  It's missing something.  So, to help me out, can someone list for me all the steps involved in doing a middle point snap?

I'm a newbie too and when I first started lately, I found a few TC videos on Youtube by a guy called "Paul Tracy" that I found greatly supportive for the beginner. They are easy and clear and well designed. There's one on snaps too.

There are some snaps that for me as well sometimes work and sometimes not. The middle point snap however works perfectly well for me. If I can't snap to a middle point, its normally a problem of an improper set workplane.

Frank