TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

Ability to "Extract" or "Import" Property Values Presets
Read 3800 times
November 16, 2013, 06:40:20 AM
Wish List Item:  Ability to "Extract" or "Import" Property Values Presets from one TurboCAD drawing to another.  Without having to use a TurboCAD Drawing Template.

Maybe via TC Explorer Palette or something.  Or maybe have the option to "Save" Property Values Presets individually or as a category to a certain file type that can be "Loaded" into another drawing.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 06:45:22 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
Intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 (ver6.5).  No formal CAD Training.
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* November 16, 2013, 09:36:01 PM
Try the "Make property values preset" option in the Format Painter tool.

Import: Copy-n-paste an object that contains the desired Properties into your new drawing, then use Format Painter to create a Preset. Kinda close to what you want.
Extract: "File / Extract From", select the "Graphic Styles" option from the Graphics list. The related settings will turn on. This will extract all the Presets. If you choose "Styles" from the Drawing Setup list, the presets aren't extracted.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2020
Designer, Deluxe, (Basic, Expert, Professional), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1909), 64-bit

November 17, 2013, 04:18:19 AM

Import: Copy-n-paste an object that contains the desired Properties into your new drawing, then use Format Painter to create a Preset. Kinda close to what you want.
Extract: "File / Extract From", select the "Graphic Styles" option from the Graphics list. The related settings will turn on. This will extract all the Presets. If you choose "Styles" from the Drawing Setup list, the presets aren't extracted.

Hey... Those sound close John... close enough, or workaround enough, until what I "Wished" for gets incorporated.

I'll have a "play" with those options.  Thanks John.  -Alvin

Alvin Gregorio
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

November 17, 2013, 09:55:33 AM

Interestingly, in my version-19.2/54.2-Deluxe, when I try to "Extract From" Graphic Styles from drawings that have numerous Property Values Presets, TurboCAD is repeatedly crashing.

The "Import" method of Copy/Paste you described John works, but not nearly as efficiently as either of the two option methods I described on my first Post, this Topic.  In fact, neither of the tips/workarounds you offered John functions as efficiently as I "wished for" and described.

And since this is the "Wish List" Forum, I thought I'd just re-validate* my Wish.

Thanks for the tip and look into the two workarounds John!  I'll try to remember to use them before going to some other cumbersome, time-consuming method.  -Alvin

----
*wrong word

Alvin Gregorio

* November 17, 2013, 01:31:20 PM
re: …TurboCAD is repeatedly crashing.
I didn't run into that with "File / Extract From" in my Deluxe (19.2.54.2).

re: …I thought I'd just re-validate* my Wish.
No problem.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2020
Designer, Deluxe, (Basic, Expert, Professional), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1909), 64-bit

November 17, 2013, 02:11:33 PM
re: …TurboCAD is repeatedly crashing.
I didn't run into that with "File / Extract From" in my Deluxe (19.2.54.2).

Thought I'd give some more attempts, based on your Reply John.  Still crashes when trying to "Extract From" a file with a lot of Property Values Presets (like 40 or more).

What did work:  Opened the file I wanted to Extract From; chose File|"Extract To" (saving to a temporary, disposable location) then in the file I wanted to "import" the Property Values Presets into, I executed an "Extract From", extracting that saved "Extract To" file I just created.

Alvin Gregorio