TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

Sectioning Buildings
Read 3080 times
* October 17, 2009, 11:37:43 PM
Dear All,

Complete newbie so please excuse if these questions are dumb!

Please find attached a copy of my first ever attemp at 3D house design. TC15  However, I would like to take th model further and have subsequently upgraded to TC16.

2 questions

1) Can I take a cross section of the building and if so how. I cant get the section toll to work.

2) I would really like to add some lights internally - eg down lighters to ceilings. I understand that lunminance is probably the best way of proceeding but I have no idea how to do this or position the sources with accuracy.

Any help or other comments would be really appreciated.

[attachment deleted by admin]

* October 18, 2009, 05:36:52 AM
1. Sectioning — haven't tried that tool yet. I don't know if views with perspective would do (room1, room2, etc).

2. Luminance — The best way is to assign a luminance to an object. Use "Load to render luminance only"; this way only the luminance renders, not the object it's assigned to. Place a copy in each room. I placed some in a copy of your drawing.

They don't have the greatest selection of bricks for metric use, so I made some changes. I think that greenhouse is on the wrong workplane.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

* October 18, 2009, 07:40:49 AM
I haven't messed around with the Section tool myself much, but here are the basics.

1. Create a section line using the Architectural Section Line tool

2. Double click on the section line, and give it a width and height

3. Use either the Horizontal or Vertical section tool and follow the prompts.

You can create 2D or 3D sections... see attached.

AMD Phenom 1090T
8GB RAM
Radeon 5450 1GB
Windows 7
Redsdk  - Off
Editing History - On
v19.2 Platinum, x64

* October 18, 2009, 09:14:49 AM
[quote
1) Can I take a cross section of the building and if so how. I cant get the section toll to work.

Any help or other comments would be really appreciated.
[/quote]

Use a closed polyline to create the area you want to section, Click on Section in Insert menu, on the inspector bar click on 'Section by closed polyline'. See attached .jpg.  Drag a selection fence around the polyline. Click on the polyline to select the section.

Edit..  Moving the Section will not affect your overall drawing.

HTH

Don.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 09:27:06 AM by Don Wensrich »

DonCW
2017 Pro with Light Works Plug in
2018 Platinum

Windows 10
There's so much to learn and not much time left to learn it.

* October 18, 2009, 09:55:13 AM
Thank you to DW, Greg T, John R

It was really nice to get such a polite and helpful response so soon.

You guys are amazing.

The section fuction descibed is exactly what I wanted to do. I am go to experiment further. It also shows up the shortcomings in my model such as internal details for walls and floors.

I am still along way off from learning about the luminances. I am amazed at the life John Rs alteration have give the model. What is the best source of info on using the luminance function for lighting architectural models. I really really want to take this further now!

I will have more of a play tonight!

Regards and thank you again

Mark M

* October 18, 2009, 10:49:26 AM

using the luminance function for lighting architectural models. I really really want to take this further now!

There's an excellent book available written by Kevin Doucette, called Mastering Lighting in TurboCad v11.  I bought it thru Cadcourse.net.

Don.

DonCW
2017 Pro with Light Works Plug in
2018 Platinum

Windows 10
There's so much to learn and not much time left to learn it.

* October 18, 2009, 03:20:29 PM
Will be usefull when TC goes for multithreading/ multi CPU/GPU/64bit and aiming for the coming 128 bit systems and 8 x core CPU's.
TC battles with plain rendering of big files, no use for it in presentation style of big down to ground projects.

Usefull for small and kidding around stuff eg hobbies typo goodies. Yes, then buy it to play with. That is all.

Sectioning : Page 426.

You have to do a section line ( see icon ) first
Do an ISO view - you will see the section line.
Adjust it to cut through model. ( Right Click and use Properties )
Then decide a Vertical / Horisontal
Decide for a 2D or a 3D cut.
Look at the arrows to see which side wil be sectioned / change if need to.
Cut / Finish

Works fine.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 03:32:40 PM by triplex »

October 18, 2009, 07:53:06 PM
For sectioning, you could also use the drafting pallet's "Create by Viewline"

Julian

TC18 / 38.5 Platinum, AL5. XP, Core2 Duo E6750 OC'd 3.0Ghz, Render test: 3mins 3sec.