TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

Adding (New) Layers to Layers Template
Read 3591 times
June 11, 2013, 08:00:54 AM
How do we add new Layers to an existing Layers Template?  (New Layers that were created after the Layer Template was created.)

I tried the obvious-- just going to my Layers Template, after creating the New Layer-- but the new Layer does not show up in the Layers list in the Layers Template.  I also tried closing and re-opening the file.

Thanks, Alvin

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

June 11, 2013, 08:08:58 AM
Not sure if this is what you mean, but right click with hovering over the layers window and add or delete layers.

Lee

June 11, 2013, 08:14:18 AM
Not sure if this is what you mean, but right click with hovering over the layers window and add or delete layers.

Thanks for the Reply, Lee.

No, that's not what I'm after.  My issue is:  When I create a New Layer, that Layer is not showing up (listed) in my existing Layers Templates.

How do I make New Layers show up in existing Layers Templates, so that I can choose to make them Visible within that Layers Template?

Thanks, Alvin

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

June 11, 2013, 10:34:24 AM
Alvin,

It is not automatic.  Activate the template you want to add the layers to.  Then click on layers, highlight all layers, right click and save to file.  TC will ask you if you want to overwrite the existing file.  Say yes and then reload the template into the design director.  You will get a second copy and need to delete the first copy in the design director.  It sounds complicated but works rather quick when you get the hang of it.

Jon Coxwell, AIA
Windows Win 7x64
TC19,20 32 bit, 20,21,22 64 bit (Platinum)
RedSDK usually off  Win 10 pro

Save the Planet
Conserve & Recycle

June 11, 2013, 11:05:10 AM
Alvin,

It is not automatic.  Activate the template you want to add the layers to.  Then click on layers, highlight all layers, right click and save to file.  TC will ask you if you want to overwrite the existing file.  Say yes and then reload the template into the design director.  You will get a second copy and need to delete the first copy in the design director.  It sounds complicated but works rather quick when you get the hang of it.

Hi Jon.  Thanks for the detailed Reply.

Unfortunately, I'm not getting it to work.  When you say "click on layers", I assume you mean the "over-riding" "Layer" (which has all the Layers of the drawing.

I've tried working with it-- doing what you instructed Jon.  I'm not getting it very quickly.  After I get this drawing out that I am finishing up today (using the old-fashioned/familiar-to-me, Layer Sets), I'll give it some more effort and Post here again if I have follow-up questions or need extra help.

Thanks for the input on this Jon.  -Alvin

Alvin Gregorio

June 15, 2013, 12:00:45 PM
Alvin,

I got it.  Thanks Jon.

The second-copy & deleting-the-first thing got me for a bit.

I hope I find Layers Templates to be as useful as lot of you other Users seem to.

Thanks again Jon.  -Alvin

Alvin Gregorio

June 15, 2013, 12:06:35 PM
How do I change the name of a Layers Template?

(When Loading a [same name] Layers Template file into the drawing, and TurboCAD prompted me if I wanted to rename the incoming file to "....(2)", and I selected "Yes", and I deleted the previous file with the same name [minus the "2"], I don't want the new Layers Template to retain that name "..."2".  I want to get rid of the "2", and have it just be named what the original Layers Template was named.)

-Alvin

[EDIT:]  I've figured out one way:  Load From File twice, keeping the most recent one (which won't have the suffix "(2)"), and deleting the other(s).  Is that the best way?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 01:55:01 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

June 17, 2013, 08:14:17 AM
Alvin,

2 ways plus yours.  Click on layers templates.  In the bottom panel of the palette highlight the one you want to rename.  click on it again and the name is surrounded by a box.  You can then edit the name.  Second way is similar.  click on the template you want to edit in the upper panel.  The template and list of layers will be in the bottom panel of the palette.  Highlight the title at the top of the list and then click on it again.  You can now edit the title.  The developers should put a rename option in the context menu which would simplify it.  Sometimes I need to click several times to get the box around the name so I can edit it.  Hope this helps.

Jon Coxwell, AIA
Windows Win 7x64
TC19,20 32 bit, 20,21,22 64 bit (Platinum)
RedSDK usually off  Win 10 pro

Save the Planet
Conserve & Recycle

June 17, 2013, 08:51:01 AM
Alvin,

2 ways plus yours.  Click on layers templates.  In the bottom panel of the palette highlight the one you want to rename.  click on it again and the name is surrounded by a box.  You can then edit the name.  Second way is similar.  click on the template you want to edit in the upper panel.  The template and list of layers will be in the bottom panel of the palette.  Highlight the title at the top of the list and then click on it again.  You can now edit the title.  The developers should put a rename option in the context menu which would simplify it.  Sometimes I need to click several times to get the box around the name so I can edit it.  Hope this helps.

Yes, that's how I figured it was supposed to work (other than, as you mention, a "Rename" option).

"Sometimes I need to click several times to get the box around the name so I can edit it.->  I was/am experiencing that issue so badly, that-- due to a lack of the required patience, I guess-- I wasn't trying enough times or waiting long enough for the text to become editable; it takes a lot of clicks and a long time.

Thanks for the reply Jon. 

(on a separate note:  I still can't get the Layers Templates to behave non-erratically.  Especially regarding New Layers, and getting them to show up in existing Layers Templates [even after I do the procedure you described in a previous Post].  It's just anything but consistent; and, unfortunately, I have drawings to get out... so it's still Layer Sets for me, for now.)

-Alvin

Alvin Gregorio