TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

2D selection in 3D mode, and workplanes
Read 4472 times
* October 13, 2009, 09:30:50 AM
I wish, I really wish, that TC wouldn't tell me that selecting and doing something to a 2D entity in 3D mode changes it's workplane even if it's already on the current workplane.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 09:45:20 AM by lemel_man »

Gary Wooding
Win10 64-bit,
TC21.2 x64 Plat, Bld59
TC16.2 Plat, Bld54.0
TCC 3.5

* October 13, 2009, 10:00:58 AM
Unfortunately the message speaks truth. To demonstrate: Working in the 3D mode, draw a line; select it and move it a considerable distance to a new location; then use the Parallel Line tool to draw a new line parallel to the first. You'll probably see that the tool will not work properly until you apply Format|Place on WorkPlane to the relocated line.

Henry H

* October 14, 2009, 04:28:05 AM
Unfortunately the message speaks truth. To demonstrate: Working in the 3D mode, draw a line; select it and move it a considerable distance to a new location; then use the Parallel Line tool to draw a new line parallel to the first. You'll probably see that the tool will not work properly until you apply Format|Place on WorkPlane to the relocated line.

Henry H
I'm using 11.2 Pro and tried the parallel line test; it worked fine.
I drew the line whilst in 3D mode, selected it, moved it and got the editing in 3D changes the workplane message. I then verified that, despite the message, the line appeared to be on the original WP.  I then drew the parallel line with no error signalled, selected the original (moved) line again, moved it somewhere else and got the warning message again. Both lines appeared to be on the current WP.

If it actually changed the WP, the warning would be useful, otherwise its wrong. If it just appears to be on the current WP, but isn't really, what WP is it on?

Gary Wooding
Win10 64-bit,
TC21.2 x64 Plat, Bld59
TC16.2 Plat, Bld54.0
TCC 3.5

* October 14, 2009, 05:56:31 AM
I think you might be better off using the "2D/3D Depending on Selected Object…" setting in Selector Properties, instead of using the 3D override setting (I see it as an override). I've never seen any advantage to working in 3D mode all the time, though it is useful on occasion.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2020
Designer, Deluxe, (Basic, Expert, Professional), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1909), 64-bit