TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

Version 19.2 Deluxe: Best Method for Creating 3D Steel Building
Read 3130 times
* March 18, 2013, 03:59:10 PM
Hello All,

I am attempting to create/draw a 3D Model of a commercial steel-building (like a brand-name "Butler"-building) with version 19.2 Deluxe.  Attached is a copy of my file; I just started.  At this time, I am mostly interested in the exterior Views.

I intend to place 3D windows, doors, etc.  There will be many editions/changes throughout the development of the plans.  I realize I am very limited by using Deluxe for this.

I want it to look it's best in Hidden Line Render, so I want to use siding with actual ridges, not just a Material that sorta' looks like siding when Quality Rendered.

My question at this time is:

I created the siding by assigning a Height to a Closed Polyline. There will be a lot of 3D Boolean Operations on this siding.  Also, I (think) I will be doing a lot of (2D?) Subtracting of windows and doors, and Inserting Blocks for those.
  • Am I going about this all wrong?  (keeping in mind that I am limited to working in Deluxe on this project)
  • Is using a 2D Polyline, Lineal-Copied, Copied Offset 1/16", then Closing and Auto-Join-Polyline- to form a Closed Polyline- then assigning a Height, the best way to go about creating the siding?  My system seems to struggle a bit when rotating Views- regarding the siding.
  • What is the best way to "Subtract" my Openings from the siding?

I'd appreciate whatever input.  Thanks- Alvin

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* March 18, 2013, 04:38:30 PM
I think the closed polyline/3D volume siding is overkill.  There's no practical reason for the volume over a surface for this use, IMO.  A box will subtract the window and door openings from the surface.   

* March 18, 2013, 04:49:58 PM
I think the closed polyline/3D volume siding is overkill.  There's no practical reason for the volume over a surface for this use, IMO.  A box will subtract the window and door openings from the surface.

I tend to agree with you Murray- on the "overkill" thing.  But I do want something to show the detail/ridges in the siding (in Hidden Line Render); I mean... without the ridges, it's a pretty boring looking mutli-million-dollar building (there's a bunch of offices and other industrial stuff going inside).

I would be interested in others' opinions/input, as well.

Thanks Murray.   -Alvin

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V20.2PP(57.0)[as of 3/12/15]; V19DL(54.2); V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* March 18, 2013, 05:24:00 PM

Now that I think about it, I think the most recent incarnation of the siding was created by:
  • Making a one-foot section with just a Single-Polyline; then Linear-Copying (X=1'); then Auto-Join-Polyline.
  • Then I Modified that long Polyline to assign a height.
  • The fact that it appears to have volume- I think- is that I selected Pen|Width|Scaling= World.
  • Then- I think- I Exploded that and it "became" a TC Surface.
  • I think.

Maybe I should just go with with steps 1 & 2; but leave Pen|Width|Scaling at "Device", and Width= ±.5pt.  With less surfaces and vertexes, it would sure be easier to work with.

-Alvin

Alvin Gregorio

* March 19, 2013, 07:53:41 AM
Alvin not sure this is what you are wanting but to draw metal siding I would just draw a 2d of a slice of the siding you are going to use and do a simple extrude. I attached some clips Hope this might help. Carroll

Carroll D. Peppersack
TurboCad 14.2 Deluxe
TurboCad 20 Plat

* March 19, 2013, 08:49:19 AM
Alvin not sure this is what you are wanting but to draw metal siding I would just draw a 2d of a slice of the siding you are going to use and do a simple extrude. I attached some clips Hope this might help. Carroll

Thanks Carroll.  Don't know why Extrude escaped my mind; I was thinking Loft, and since Deluxe doesn't have Loft, I immediately left the notion of using 3D Objects.

Question:  Is there a reason, Carroll, that you only Extruded one 1-foot section of the siding, then (what appears to be) Copied that?  --As opposed to-> creating a 4' long Closed-Polyline to Extrude; or something super-long-  like 200'- to Extrude?

Question 2:  Does the resultant TC Surface that one gets from Exploding a Closed 2D Polyline with Height- or a single Polyline with World Scaling and Geometry with Height- (or the resultant TC Surface that one gets from Slicing the same 2D Entities) differ from a 3D Object created by Extrude?

----
Thanks for the option and the example pictures Carroll.  I will experiment with that method (Extrude) before continuing much further in my steel-building model.

-Alvin

Alvin Gregorio

* March 19, 2013, 11:39:09 AM
Question:  Is there a reason, Carroll, that you only Extruded one 1-foot section of the siding, then (what appears to be) Copied that?  --As opposed to-> creating a 4' long Closed-Polyline to Extrude; or something super-long-  like 200'- to Extrude?

Alvin I was just drawing something simple to show you. You can make it as long and wide as you like.

Question 2:  Does the resultant TC Surface that one gets from Exploding a Closed 2D Polyline with Height- or a single Polyline with World Scaling and Geometry with Height- (or the resultant TC Surface that one gets from Slicing the same 2D Entities) differ from a 3D Object created by Extrude?

Alvin the one think you need to remember in deluxe you are only working on surfaces NOT SOLIDS. If I am thinking right if you explode an extrude in deluxe you will not have a surface anymore, just lines. As far as scaleing and slicing there should be no problem it should stay a surface also add and substract from your extrude it will still stay a surface. I hope this may help a little Carroll

Carroll D. Peppersack
TurboCad 14.2 Deluxe
TurboCad 20 Plat

* March 19, 2013, 11:52:10 AM

Alvin I was just drawing something simple to show you. You can make it as long and wide as you like.

Alvin the one think you need to remember in deluxe you are only working on surfaces NOT SOLIDS. If I am thinking right if you explode an extrude in deluxe you will not have a surface anymore, just lines. As far as scaleing and slicing there should be no problem it should stay a surface also add and substract from your extrude it will still stay a surface. I hope this may help a little Carroll

Hi Carroll- Thanks much for the detailed Replies.  -Alvin

Alvin Gregorio