TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

Technical drawing conventions and symbols
Read 3619 times
* October 09, 2009, 08:54:21 AM
Hi,
I would like to know if there are any websites that describe the various symbols and conventions used
in technical drawing? I have sometimes come across a drawing in a motorcycle workshop repair manual that describes how a particular special tool can be made. When I look at this drawing it contains symbols I don't recognise. These symbols are mainly for the benefit of the machinist who would make the tool. However I would like to learn how I can use these symbols/conventions in my own drawings so that they meet recognised standards.
I also come across the same sort of thing in architectural drawings/floor plans.
Can anyone point me towards enlightenment?

David

P.S Just got a copy of V15 Pro platinum so I will hopefully be putting it to good use.

* October 09, 2009, 09:35:53 AM
You can give Google a try, look for geometric dimensioning and tolerancing symbols

Two good books to look at (in a library) are:
Engineering Graphics by Giesecke, et al, Prentice Hall
and
Architectural Graphic Standards by Ramsey/Sleeper, John Wiley and sons

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

* October 10, 2009, 01:59:48 AM
Try Workshop Drawing by Tubal Cain. ISBN-13: 978-1854861825.
It's #13 in the Workshop Practice series of paper backs published by Special Interest Model Books.

Gary Wooding
Win10 64-bit,
TC21.2 x64 Plat, Bld59
TC16.2 Plat, Bld54.0
TCC 3.5