TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

re: Any Tips on converting 2D to 3D, where 2D plane is vertical (eg XZ or YZ)
Read 6748 times
* March 01, 2013, 11:05:40 AM
TC18pro:  Normally you draw in 2D on an XY plane.  If you take it and make it 3D (eg by revolving), I'd like it  to represent the real world in terms of orientation.  To keep both the 2D & 3D in sync I would have to create an XZ or YZ plane.  I say this because all of the normal 3D views rely on the XY plane being the default drawing plane, and if you select World Plane, that lets you draw on the xy plane.  Any way of changing that without making and naming a new plane, so now the "Front" 3D view is the default drawing plane?  What I've typically done is make a cube and call the 'Front' face my drawing plane.  Thanks, Roger

PS:  I don't draw houses, but I would imagine you don't do 2D layout on the XY plane?

March 01, 2013, 03:33:51 PM
TC18pro:  Normally you draw in 2D on an XY plane.  If you take it and make it 3D (eg by revolving), I'd like it  to represent the real world in terms of orientation.  To keep both the 2D & 3D in sync I would have to create an XZ or YZ plane.  I say this because all of the normal 3D views rely on the XY plane being the default drawing plane, and if you select World Plane, that lets you draw on the xy plane.  Any way of changing that without making and naming a new plane, so now the "Front" 3D view is the default drawing plane?  What I've typically done is make a cube and call the 'Front' face my drawing plane.  Thanks, Roger

PS:  I don't draw houses, but I would imagine you don't do 2D layout on the XY plane?

Hi Roger.  We're not ignoring you, it's just that your question is hard to follow.  I've read through it four times- the last time veeerrry sloooowwwly- and still cannot decipher definitively what you are trying to achieve.

Maybe you can simplify your explanation and your question.  It seems like a pretty easy one to resolve.

----
I will say/ask this, however:  What do you have against creating a New WorkPlane- i.e.: the "front face" of the cube?  And if you are asking if/how you can change the built-in World WorkPlane (the simple 2D one), it is my understanding that we cannot.  You can Edit it* (including Rotating it around the X-Axis, which is what it seems you want to do), but then it would not be the built-in World WorkPlane any longer, it would be a new WorkPlane which you created.

I think you're going to have to give in and create a New WorkPlane, Name it, and use it to draw your 2D entities on; not a big deal at all.

----
EDIT:  And, yes, we (2D) house-drawers do do 2D layout on the XY plane (usually the built-in World WorkPlane [WorkPlane By World])

-Alvin

*[it doesn't seem that we can rotate the World WorkPlane when editing.  You'll just have to create a new WorkPlane.]
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 04:08:19 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
Intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 (ver6.5).  No formal CAD Training.
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* March 01, 2013, 06:42:28 PM

*[it doesn't seem that we can rotate the World WorkPlane when editing.  You'll just have to create a new WorkPlane.]

You can rotate it, Alvin, about any axis.

Henry H

March 02, 2013, 06:17:43 AM

You can rotate it, Alvin, about any axis.

Henry H

That's odd Henry.  When I try to Edit (rotate) the built-in World WorkPlane- with Selector 3D active- all Coordinate Fields unLocked- I'm not getting any Rotation Bars.

I can Scale the built-in World WorkPlane, I can Move it; it's just the option to Rotate it that is not available.

I feel stupid for asking this of you, Henry; but: Are you sure we can Edit | Rotate the built-in World WorkPlane?  If so, what am I missing?

----Steps I am carrying out:
  • WorkPlane By World
  • Display WorkPlane
  • Edit WorkPlane
  • Selector Mode= 3D Selector
Result➡  No Rotation Bars; just 4 Nodes (at each corner)

-Alvin

Alvin Gregorio
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* March 02, 2013, 06:38:32 AM
Alvin,

Check to see if Rotation is selected.

DonCW
2017 Pro with Light Works Plug in
2018 Platinum

Windows 10
There's so much to learn and not much time left to learn it.

March 02, 2013, 07:06:16 AM
Alvin,

Check to see if Rotation is selected.

Hi Don.  Yes, in Selector 3D Properties, Rotation is selected under the Inspector Bar heading.

Don, can you Edit | Rotate the built-in World WorkPlane?  Can you give it a try and check? (WorkPlane By World | Display WorkPlane | Selector 3D active | Edit WorkPlane-- do you see Rotation Bars?)

Thanks, Alvin

Alvin Gregorio

* March 02, 2013, 08:10:35 AM
This is what I get with Edit Workplane in a New from Scratch drawing. I can pick a node and rotate it by hand or in the Inspector Bar fields.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

March 02, 2013, 08:37:32 AM
This is what I get with Edit Workplane in a New from Scratch drawing. I can pick a node and rotate it by hand or in the Inspector Bar fields.

Okay.  That settles that then.  I get the same thing, John, with a New|From Scratch drawing.

There must have been/must be something specific about the little drawing I was using to Experiment with (which was/is little more than a New|From Scratch drawing).  (EDIT: I attached that file- the one that I couldn't Edit|Rotate the World WorkPlane)

Go figure.  Thanks -Alvin

I now wish I wouldn't have Deleted all my step-by-step instructions to Roger in my Post earlier in this Topic on how to Edit a WorkPlane.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 08:40:48 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

* March 02, 2013, 10:22:20 AM
If you hit the "Home" key, it will take you to the Workplane icon, about a thousand feet south of the box.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

March 02, 2013, 11:44:31 AM
If you hit the "Home" key, it will take you to the Workplane icon, about a thousand feet south of the box.

Good Detective work John.

As you know, the problem (with my Drawing "Experiment -1") was that my only Object was about 1,000 feet from 0,0,0- the World WorkPlane Origin.  So when I Zoomed Extents, I was taken to that sole Object that was a thousand feet way from the Edit-able (built-in) World WorkPlane Reference Point, and therefore, couldn't see my Selector Shell Box.

Good find!!  Thanks John.  -Alvin

----I still think it's important to reiterate for Roger- who Posted the original question, this Topic- to understand that he can't Edit the built-in World WorkPlane.  That is to say:  We can Edit it, but the resultant WorkPlane is no longer the (built-in) World WorkPlane- it is a New WorkPlane.

(and I learned another thing today:  Hitting the "Home" key takes us to a View which is centered on the World WorkPlane (0,0,0))

Alvin Gregorio

* March 05, 2013, 06:06:41 AM
Thanks for all the input to my original question.  As a final recommendation, when you go to select a left, front, right, etc, or an isometric view, it would be helpful, at least to me for 3D, if the icons maintained a little arrow on the default world plane side.  I get spatially disoriented pretty easily, and am surprised at how I'm generally 90deg off what I intended to view.  True, its only a moment to click through to get the view I want, so its only a little improvement, ... so easy.  Thanks again for the interesting discussions on my behalf.  Roger

March 05, 2013, 06:24:54 AM
Thanks for all the input to my original question.  As a final recommendation, when you go to select a left, front, right, etc, or an isometric view, it would be helpful, at least to me for 3D, if the icons maintained a little arrow on the default world plane side.  I get spatially disoriented pretty easily, and am surprised at how I'm generally 90deg off what I intended to view.  True, its only a moment to click through to get the view I want, so its only a little improvement, ... so easy.  Thanks again for the interesting discussions on my behalf.  Roger

Hi Roger.  You might find it helpful- to mitigate "disorientation"- to turn on activate displaying of "World Coordinate Sytem" and "User Coordinate System"* Icons.  You can access those options via the Workspace page, up there in the Menu Bar.  Additionally, until you get a little more accustomed to working in other than the World WorkPlane**, you might want to- in addition to what I just recommended- choose to turn On the Grid (Display Grid).

-Alvin

*and, up there in Options|Preferences|Coordinate System Icon set the Icon Size to as large as possible (128, I believe).  Just until you are full oriented and comfortable working in any View.

**It took me a long while of working with CAD/TurboCAD in 3D (shoot- even in different 2D Views) without getting dis-oriented, so I know how you feel.  I think it just takes the human brain a while to go from "real world" to "conceptual world" perspective.  Heck, for a while, at the beginning of my learning CAD/TurboCAD, I had to have my work-station- keyboard, mouse, monitor- and myself oriented in the real-world direction as compared to the CAD's orientation (i.e.:  to get "oriented", I had to be facing north).  Rest assured that one day, the "light just comes on"; I can now easily navigate in any and all Views in TurboCAD- 2D as well as 3D- and never get "lost" or dis-oriented.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 06:38:36 AM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio

* March 05, 2013, 06:37:21 AM
Thanks for the tips Alvin.  Makes me feel like if you can do it, I can do it.  The most basic aspect of the problem is the isometric cubes, the 'unmarked' world plan face is rotated 45 deg counter clock wise.  For some reason I naturally rotate it clockwise 45.  Once I force myself to do it 'as designed', I'm ok.  But still placing a little mark on the world plan face is a simple improvement.  Roger

March 05, 2013, 06:41:49 AM
Thanks for the tips Alvin.  Makes me feel like if you can do it, I can do it.  The most basic aspect of the problem is the isometric cubes, the 'unmarked' world plan face is rotated 45 deg counter clock wise.  For some reason I naturally rotate it clockwise 45.  Once I force myself to do it 'as designed', I'm ok.  But still placing a little mark on the world plan face is a simple improvement.  Roger

Roger, I added this text to my just-previous Post:
"*and, up there in Options|Preferences|Coordinate System Icon set the Icon Size to as large as possible (128, I believe).  Just until you are full oriented and comfortable working in any View."

----
Also, be sure to Display Grid for a while.  It's (one of?) the closest thing(s) we have to what you are asking for (something on the World WorkPlane to indicate where the World WorkPlane is).

-Alvin

Alvin Gregorio

March 05, 2013, 07:12:51 AM
Another tip:  If your intention is to work in/on WorkPlane By World, and you feel like you're getting dis-oreinted, you might find it useful to:

With the User Coordinate System checked (✓) to be displayed*, go to Menu Bar|Workspace|WorkPlane|Origin, and- using the dashed-line X,Y,Z icon that is now attached to your cursor- Vertex Snap to a bottom corner of your cube (assuming that you drew the cube on the World WorkPlane, and you went up with the Z direction, not down.).

That will move the large, colored, User Coordinate System Icon (and Grid) to that corner of your cube.

----
*described in a previous Post

----
-Alvin

Alvin Gregorio

* March 05, 2013, 07:44:37 AM
Thanks Alvin:  My menu bar doesn't have a 'workspace' tab; but my 'Standard' toolbar below it has a workspace icon with drop downs, one of which is the origin tool.  It works as you said.  Great.  Roger

March 05, 2013, 07:49:53 AM
Thanks Alvin:  My menu bar doesn't have a 'workspace' tab; but my 'Standard' toolbar below it has a workspace icon with drop downs, one of which is the origin tool.  It works as you said.  Great.  Roger

Roger, if you intend on interacting with- and seeking help from- these Forums, I would advise that you get "Workspace" in you Menu Bar.  You're likely going to come across many instances that the Users trying to help you are going to direct you to that Menu Bar|Workspace tab, being that it is in the default Desktop Configuration (and, seemingly, almost everyone keeps it there).

-Alvin

Alvin Gregorio

* March 05, 2013, 08:19:31 AM
Alvin: OK, now you've scared me.  I don't seem to have a Workspace tab in my menu bar.  And I've tried adding by going to Tools / Customize and Loading from various default options (Like 1064x768 pro).  But nothing comes up with a Workspace in the menu bar.  Nor can I seem to add it under the other tabs (Toolbars, pop up toolbars, Palettes, tool groupls, commands, keyboard).  Do you think I need to 'reload' the program?  I have a Workspace under my 'Tools' tab, but all it has in it are "Customize" & "UI Themes".  I could use the 'Commands' tab to create a Workspace by individually dragging each member, because it won't let me just drag the entire 'Workspace' categories.  Why me.  Suggestions appreciated.  Roger

March 05, 2013, 08:38:43 AM
Alvin: OK, now you've scared me.  I don't seem to have a Workspace tab in my menu bar.  And I've tried adding by going to Tools / Customize and Loading from various default options (Like 1064x768 pro).  But nothing comes up with a Workspace in the menu bar.  Nor can I seem to add it under the other tabs (Toolbars, pop up toolbars, Palettes, tool groupls, commands, keyboard).  Do you think I need to 'reload' the program?  I have a Workspace under my 'Tools' tab, but all it has in it are "Customize" & "UI Themes".  I could use the 'Commands' tab to create a Workspace by individually dragging each member, because it won't let me just drag the entire 'Workspace' categories.  Why me.  Suggestions appreciated.  Roger

Believe it not, Roger- Though I'm pretty proficient in drawing in TurboCAD, manipulating Tools, Toolbars, Toolbar Groups, Palettes, etc. is something I haven't taken the time to get very attuned with*.

Don't re-load (re-install) the program.  One of the Experts (Henry, John R, Gret T, or others) will notice this Post/Topic and point you in the right direction.

-Alvin

----
*I am confident, however, that if I really needed to I could investigate and "play around a bit" and figure out how to get my Workspace tab- loaded with all the appropriate/common/default Tools- to be in the Menu Bar.  And- as you said previously- if I can do it, you can do it.  -A.

Alvin Gregorio

* March 05, 2013, 08:52:05 AM
fyi for anyone who may assist me in adding a 'workspace' tab to the menu bar.  My current tabs are: 

File, Edit, View, Insert, Format, Tools, Draw, Dimension, Constraints, Architechture, Modify, Modes, Scripts, Options, Window, Help.

Also:  Under Tools, there is a 'workspace' tab with two flyouts: 'customize' & 'UI themes'

In Customize, the Commands tab does contain the 'workspace' category & all its subcategories.

I've tried loading various standards from 'options' / Load From: but no Workspace tab appears.

Thanks, Roger

March 05, 2013, 10:54:23 AM
fyi for anyone who may assist me in adding a 'workspace' tab to the menu bar.  My current tabs are: 

File, Edit, View, Insert, Format, Tools, Draw, Dimension, Constraints, Architechture, Modify, Modes, Scripts, Options, Window, Help.

Also:  Under Tools, there is a 'workspace' tab with two flyouts: 'customize' & 'UI themes'

In Customize, the Commands tab does contain the 'workspace' category & all its subcategories.

I've tried loading various standards from 'options' / Load From: but no Workspace tab appears.

Thanks, Roger

Roger- I would suggest you Post your issue (as detailed in your quote above) to a new Topic thread in the Problems Forum.

-Alvin

Alvin Gregorio

* March 05, 2013, 12:24:30 PM

Thanks, Roger

You should be able to find a Workspace menu by Loading the "1024x768pro_pre19" Workspace. The menus are set up like they were before the company switched to the dark side.
I believe your current menus look like the ones found in this Wiki page: V19 Menus.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* March 05, 2013, 12:54:29 PM
John:  Thanks for input.  I have TC18pro.  If I load from pre18 options, I do get the Workspace!  But not if I load from any others.  Is that the way it is supposed to be?  So there is no other way to add the Workspace to the menu bar if its missing?  Roger

* March 05, 2013, 01:09:35 PM
fyi: I posted this issue in the 'problem' section as suggested by Alvin.  Roger

* March 05, 2013, 01:13:50 PM
re: …So there is no other way to add the Workspace to the menu bar if its missing?

See New Popup Menu & New Popup Toolbar in the Wiki.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* March 05, 2013, 01:28:05 PM
Thanks John.  I have used this before to modify my new TC18pro when I got it, because the default toolbars seemed so different.  Clearly this would allow me to rebuild the workspace toolbar, but doesn't appear you can drag the entire 'workspace' into the menu toolbar.  I guess everyone is using the pre18 version with the 'workspace' tab.  Roger

* March 05, 2013, 01:45:48 PM
There is no way to drag up a main Category, but you can drag out the sub-categories to the menu you are building. Those are the commands that have an pointer on the right side (such as: Paperspace      ►). It'll save you some time.

Yes, most people just load the pre18 workspace.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled