TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

All posts discussing pricing or where to buy TurboCAD will be deleted.

Hatching scale and association to viewports
Read 6991 times
* October 07, 2009, 06:17:02 AM
I am surprised that I have not found any related topics to the scaling capabilities of hatching.  As a general drafting practice, a legend is commonly displayed on a sheet defining the hatching patterns.   The problem I am having is that my sheet (page layout) has various view ports depicting different areas of my drawing at different scales.  I can't find a way to associate my hatch so it will be scaled proportionally to the corresponding view port.  My work around is to duplicate my hatch into different layers.  Very time consuming and counterproductive.   Any suggestions?

John Bodensiek,
Blawenburg, NJ
Turbocad 15.2 Build: 48.1

« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 06:29:03 AM by bodensiek »

October 07, 2009, 12:06:14 PM
John,

I see your point.

I thought that there were settings of "device" and "world" for hatches (brush patterns) as there are for line weights, but I see there is not.  Maybe that has been dropped in later versions.  You may have the best work around.  I often change my hatch pattern scale depending on what scale the entity will be shown in paper space.  The other option is to hatch in paper space but that is a pain and can lead to errors. 

Something for IMSI to consider.

Jon Coxwell, AIA
Windows Win 7x64
TC19,20 32 bit, 20,21,22 64 bit (Platinum)
RedSDK usually off  Win 10 pro

Save the Planet
Conserve & Recycle

* October 07, 2009, 12:19:35 PM
Well at least you put my mine at ease. I thought I was overlooking something.  I just could not phantom the idea that IMS would have overlooked that.  Perhaps there are many new people that have very little drafting experience that the notion of being consistent with hatching has not crossed their minds. 

This has been one of the biggest issues in my office.  The time spent to work around this problem is costly and is starting to amount to a lot of man hours.

It should be a very simple thing for IMS to rectify.  I want my drawings to look professional and not like they were produced from either a cheap CAD program or an inexperienced draftsman.  Either one,  its not the image I want to portray.

* October 07, 2009, 02:13:21 PM
John, do you want the hatch scale to be constant regardless of the scale of the Viewport, as in the attached example?

Henry H

[attachment deleted by admin]

* October 08, 2009, 06:37:06 AM
Precisley Henry!  Is there a way to assign the scale to the hatch so it is constant, regardless of the viewports scale?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 07:22:16 AM by bodensiek »

* October 08, 2009, 08:15:07 AM
I believe Henry used the WH hatch patterns at the bottom of the list.

[attachment deleted by admin]

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

* October 08, 2009, 08:38:27 AM
Apparently so!  Fantastic. That will save me some time with some hatches.  I am using 12 patterns.
I'll look into how the WH patterns are created and if I can make my own.

Thank you Henry and John R.

* October 08, 2009, 08:48:52 AM
re: I'll look into how the WH patterns are created and if I can make my own.

See: Creating TurboCAD Hatch Patterns - How-to Tutorial; the section about "Windows Hatch Patterns". It may help some.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* October 09, 2009, 10:13:09 AM
re: I'll look into how the WH patterns are created and if I can make my own.

See: Creating TurboCAD Hatch Patterns - How-to Tutorial; the section about "Windows Hatch Patterns". It may help some.

A couple of things with that article:

I cannot find a wingdi.h file anywhere on my Windows Vista machine and my tcw15.ini file doesn't contain the necessary lines of code that need to be edited in order to add custom hatch patterns.  It seems that the above tutorial was written for much older versions of TC and does not directly apply to TC 15 (and probably 16).

* October 09, 2009, 11:44:09 AM
A couple of things with that article:
I cannot find a wingdi.h file anywhere on my Windows Vista machine and my tcw15.ini file doesn't contain the necessary lines of code that need to be edited in order to add custom hatch patterns.  It seems that the above tutorial was written for much older versions of TC and does not directly apply to TC 15 (and probably 16).

TurboCADables was the first thing I could think of, since Mike is the only one I know of that has dabbled with TurboCAD hatches. There is a "WinGDI" file in the DWGdirect folder, but I doubt if that's has anything to do with the WH patterns. Maybe Dave could ask the people at SoftDev about this; they write the program.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* October 13, 2009, 07:27:13 AM
Aside from not finding the WinGDI as well, I found that the  WH brush patternss really are not controlled by the view port scale,  they are dependent to the display screen and printing,  similar to how line types are displayed.  Though not the solution I was looking for, it is a step in the right direction.

If I were to settle with the WH patterns, then where and how can I find the custom WinGDI file, its replacement or a method of producing an emulation to be recognized by TC?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 07:45:17 AM by bodensiek »