TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

0 layer
Read 8249 times
* January 11, 2013, 08:47:16 PM
I have noticed that after I have drawn multiple items in a drawing and all have been placed on the 0 layer I then try to put them on the layers I want them on that the check mark does not return to the 0 layer as it should. If I have several items that go on the same layer I have to reset the check mark back to the 0 layer before I can move the objects. Is this a flaw or has the program been changed and this is now normal? It is quite annoying.
    Myron TC Pro Plat 54.2

January 17, 2013, 03:50:16 PM
What Version are you running?

I noticed that tools like to revert to layer 0 too.

What I've observed (Ver 16.1 pro platinum)  is that when you select a new tool type circles lines and splines are all different the software defaults to layer 0.

In some Tutorial I watched some-where on you tube the guy insisted that layer 0 is not to be used because it has something to do with  [mumbled vague incoherent explanation  that made no sense],  but he had to be an expert since he  put a tut 'on You Tube:  Right?

Anyway select your layer, select a tool and observe that the default sill be 0  then click the layer you want  and draw
Then change layer and select that species of tool again and notice that it'll take you  back to the layer you last used for that tool type

I'm sure some software engineer thought it was a good idea.   There may even be a switch somewhere to regulate or control this feature.
I don't like it because I put different things on  different layers for reasons that make sense to me and have nothing to do with the kind of drawing tool used to create that geometry.

Running  Ver 16.1 Pro Platinum

* January 17, 2013, 05:21:30 PM
What Version are you running?

I noticed that tools like to revert to layer 0 too.

What I've observed (Ver 16.1 pro platinum)  is that when you select a new tool type circles lines and splines are all different the software defaults to layer 0.

In some Tutorial I watched some-where on you tube the guy insisted that layer 0 is not to be used because it has something to do with  [mumbled vague incoherent explanation  that made no sense],  but he had to be an expert since he  put a tut 'on You Tube:  Right?

Anyway select your layer, select a tool and observe that the default sill be 0  then click the layer you want  and draw
Then change layer and select that species of tool again and notice that it'll take you  back to the layer you last used for that tool type

I'm sure some software engineer thought it was a good idea.   There may even be a switch somewhere to regulate or control this feature.
I don't like it because I put different things on  different layers for reasons that make sense to me and have nothing to do with the kind of drawing tool used to create that geometry.

He's wrong.

Henry H

January 17, 2013, 07:02:49 PM

He's wrong.

Henry H

I am ????   Well don't just go about announcing the wrongness of what I said:   cast some illumination on the things that both I and the OP have observed.
I'm more than willing to listen to a differing explanation about the function and cause of the things I observed.
But observe 'em I did.

* January 17, 2013, 07:49:47 PM

He's wrong.

Henry H

I am ????   Well don't just go about announcing the wrongness of what I said:   cast some illumination on the things that both I and the OP have observed.
I'm more than willing to listen to a differing explanation about the function and cause of the things I observed.
But observe 'em I did.

Not you. The guy who said Layer 0 is not to be used was wrong.

Henry H

January 17, 2013, 08:00:28 PM
I personally do everything on layer 0 then move the graphics to another layer afterwards. Layer 0 should always be on as i think because paperspace requires it and many other things depend on it. So my method is to draw so much and when it starts to get cluttered create new layers and move graphics off layer 0...

Daz…

V2019 Plat 64bit, Lenovo P72 Laptop, Window 10 Pro for Workstations, Intel Xeon E-2186 CPU @ 2.90 Ghz (6 cores/12 threads), 32GB RAM, 512GB & 1TB SSD's, Nvidia P5200 c/w Max=Q Design GPU, Display UHD 3840 x 2160 pixels
TurboCAD user since V3 and Turbocad 3D V1.

* January 18, 2013, 01:37:24 AM
I do the same as Darrell for something quick, but I'll turn to a custom Template that I've set up with "Presets" (formerly known as Styles). I can then pick a tool (Wall in the picture), then pick a pre-set style from the list. I have the "Preset" set to a particular layer, brush pattern, material, etc.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

* January 18, 2013, 01:41:09 AM
This system and presets work well for me.
If your different layers have different colours assigned to them and you use colour by layer you can tell immediately that you are on the wrong layer. Presets make it easy to change to the settings you want.

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

January 18, 2013, 02:07:19 AM
Guys, am i right in saying that layer 0 should always really be visible? I think TC has this requirement since day one....

Daz…

V2019 Plat 64bit, Lenovo P72 Laptop, Window 10 Pro for Workstations, Intel Xeon E-2186 CPU @ 2.90 Ghz (6 cores/12 threads), 32GB RAM, 512GB & 1TB SSD's, Nvidia P5200 c/w Max=Q Design GPU, Display UHD 3840 x 2160 pixels

January 18, 2013, 02:13:15 AM
Guys, am i right in saying that layer 0 should always really be visible? I think TC has this requirement since day one....

I believe this to be true.  In any case, "once bitten, twice shy", so  I always have it visible!

Regards Tim

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Using Win 10 with Designer 2016/2017 and TurboCAD Pro. Plat. 2018/2019 + Lightworks (64-bit versions) + AnimationLab 5.2.

January 18, 2013, 04:14:26 AM

Yes, because the program uses layer 0 for internal processes. That is not to say that it can never be turned off but some processes will not work if it is. I have never found a reason to turn it off. I too create everything on layer 0 and assign to layers afterwards. Some things, such as blocks, must be created as block on layer 0 and assigned to layers after creations otherwise issues can arise when turning making layers visible or not.

January 18, 2013, 05:49:28 AM
Personally, I always try to draw on specific layers from the start. Most of my drawings require overlaid plans and in conjucntion with the Zlayer tool I can easily isolate certain objects. I guess though that when chosing the 'Layer on Selection' tool that will also turn off the 0 layer but I'm not aware of any problems in doing so. Don's comment about blocks is interesting as I always place those objects on specific layers before making the block so they turn off when all on that layer is off. I haven't experienced any problems with that though. Maybe Don could elaborate on that point?

Nick
(United Kingdom)
TurboCAD 20 Pro Platinum.
Windows 7 64 bit.

January 18, 2013, 05:54:44 AM
Personally, I always try to draw on specific layers from the start. Most of my drawings require overlaid plans and in conjucntion with the Zlayer tool I can easily isolate certain objects. I guess though that when chosing the 'Layer on Selection' tool that will also turn off the 0 layer but I'm not aware of any problems in doing so. Don's comment about blocks is interesting as I always place those objects on specific layers before making the block so they turn off when all on that layer is off. I haven't experienced any problems with that though. Maybe Don could elaborate on that point?

Many blocks are created with multiple objects. If they are all assigned to the same layer you will not likely see any issues, but if they are made up of multiple objects which are assigned to different layers then you will have all kinds of visibility issues when turning layers on and off. I am pretty sure too, that the help files advise creating blocks on layer 0.

January 18, 2013, 06:42:06 AM
Yeah, I can see what you mean Don. In my case a block usually consists of things such as a 2D window so it's much more simple and made up of single objects making up the frame etc.

Nick
(United Kingdom)
TurboCAD 20 Pro Platinum.
Windows 7 64 bit.

January 18, 2013, 06:55:09 AM
XRef's come in on layer 0...Or maybe not....need to check
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 07:11:03 AM by Darrel Carl Durose »

Daz…

January 18, 2013, 03:08:03 PM
Confirmed

You need Layer 0 on to insert Xref's, Blocks within the drawing will drag in without error but will not display until Layer 0 is visible, even if the block has been assigned to another layer...TC wants it on 0  :P
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 03:38:47 PM by Darrel Carl Durose »

Daz…

* January 18, 2013, 10:27:40 PM
For Models I draw blocks mainly on layer 0 if there are items I want hidden within a block,  then I assign a layer I can turn off.
I find this useful especially when viewing complicated 3d blocks in plan view.

For detail blocks I assign each item in the correct layer. I dont have a problem but I use the same layers on all my drawings
and I dont often freeze layers.

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

January 19, 2013, 02:31:20 PM
Not you. The guy who said Layer 0 is not to be used was wrong.
Henry H

Oh yah well  it struck me as rather perverse that  the very first layer available  when a drawing opens would be one that you should never use and also why have a layer in the first place if it is some how reserved for  software operational stuff?   His explanation for why he thought it was VERBOTTEN made absolutely no sense. 

Maybe  his thinking was rooted in the  External Reference thing?   

* January 20, 2013, 06:45:31 AM
Talk about coincidence, for an example of how layer0 affects things, see http://forums.turbocad.com/index.php/topic,10733.0.html

Gary Wooding
Win10 64-bit,
TC21.2 x64 Plat, Bld59
TC16.2 Plat, Bld54.0
TCC 3.5

January 20, 2013, 09:50:46 AM
I just did a 3-D render and then turned layer 0 off and the whole  rendered part turned black.

January 20, 2013, 11:51:36 AM
I just did a 3-D render and then turned layer 0 off and the whole  rendered part turned black.

This is probably because the lights are on layer 0.

* January 27, 2013, 07:07:14 PM
My original post that started this topic was that the program was not automatically returning to the 0 layer as all previous versions. All versions I have used since 10 have always placed what is drawn on the 0 layer and then you move them to the layer you want them on. This means that when you select something and place it on the chosen layer the green check mark moves to that layer. When you select something else on the 0 layer the green check mark returns to the 0 layer to show that those items are on the 0 layer. For some reason in 19 the check mark does not return to the 0 layer. If there is a need to place something else on the your previous layer you need to move the check mark back to the 0 layer because it did not return to the 0 layer when you select something on the 0 layer.
  I did learn something from all of your posts, I did not know that new blocks must be created on the 0 layer that answers other problems I have had.
   Is there a solution for the check mark problem I have been having.
    Myron TC Plat 32 bit 54.2

January 29, 2013, 01:50:04 PM
TC Plat 32 bit 54.2

I was unaware that TC had a Version numbered 54.2  I thought they were only up to Ver. 19
I have 16.1 pro platinum and
1) I  create my layers or as many as I please at the time
2) Then start a drawing tool - ( TC flips back to  the formerly used layer for that tool or Layer ZERO)
3) then  I must return to the Design Director and re-set the layer I want to draw in

From then on that tool will constantly end up flipping back to that layer unless I have subsequently used it on another layer in which case  it goes to that layer.
I too would very much like to turn this feature off.  I would prefer to set a layer and then draw in it until such time as I choose to go to another layer.

Now here's something interesting.
 In the Design Director ( and probably a dozen other places): You can set the individual layers to a distinct color and when you select a color for a drawing tool it'll flip to that colored layer.
Kind of neat if you like to  use colors to keep things organized

I  do  not know what a "check mark" is
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 01:53:53 PM by Cliff »