TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

VERY ANNOYING 19.2 PATCH...!!
Read 3607 times
December 24, 2012, 02:43:00 PM
THIS SUCKS.  I ran the 19.2 update and it wiped out my very carefully built icon menus!  What a colossal waste of my time!!  IMSI, you need to provide an option to keep the icon/toolbar layouts as they were when applying a patch!!!!!!!!!!!!  I won't be doing a 19.3 patch, that's for sure!  In fact, 19.1 was working fine.  I AM PISSED.

SGEDESIGNS - - TurboCAD 20.1 Pro Platinum - - WIN7-64 Dell Precision M6700 -- Quadcore i5-3340M 2.7GHz -- 8Gb RAM -- Fire Pro M6000

* December 24, 2012, 03:29:11 PM
If setting are the same 18.2 you can load them back in the Config folder and recover what you lost.Usually it been repeatedly mention here in the forum to back the folder.I just make copy of the whole TC folder in My Documents and save them in jump drive.It save my butt many times.

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

* December 24, 2012, 04:03:48 PM
Thanks for the heads up.

* December 24, 2012, 09:18:15 PM
re: …IMSI, you need to provide an option to keep the icon/toolbar layouts as they were…

It's already there at "Tools / Customize—›Options" page. Save your Workspace under a custom name (I use version & build #'s), then Load it when the need arises, such as after a Reinstall, Repair or Update. If you wish to save or move a copy of the actual configuration files to another area, look for 2 like-named files with the *.XCFG and *.XML extensions.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

* December 25, 2012, 11:00:13 AM
My problem with the patch was I forgot to save my Prop-in, and after the patch I didn't even have many the default materials, had to re-load defaultsso I had some to play with.

But as I say it was my fault for not saving materials file, (though would have been nice if the patch asked if I wanted to keep my materials)

Andy 

December 25, 2012, 12:27:48 PM
I sympathise with Steve, and also see how easy it is to save various personal configuration files, if you think of it!  But, we are all lazy and nowadays many programmes update themselves in a way that is so transparent you hardly notice it happen.  Surely, it is not beyond the wit of IMSI programmers to reinstate the programme to it's existing configuration when updating, particularly when there have been no major changes to the look and feel of the programme itself?  At the very least, wouldn't it be polite to give a warning, that things are going to change to a default?  An option to bale-out of the update process would allow saving of any configuration files, if this was required.

Regards Tim

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Using Win 10 with Designer 2016/2017 and TurboCAD Pro. Plat. 2018/2019 + Lightworks (64-bit versions) + AnimationLab 5.2.
Windows 10 Pro 1903 (Build 18362.476) 64-bit

* December 25, 2012, 02:05:59 PM
When the Tim Allen "Home Improvement" show was current, I bought a merchandise cap that had the motto "Real men don't need instructions!".   I told my wife that it's ironic.

December 25, 2012, 03:06:30 PM
Although I sympathise also with you Steve, I think it is so easy to blame the program and/or the programmers for our own errors in not saving our configs etc.

I personally do not alter the layout to a great extent, and never have done any major alterations, with the tools and menus. I know and am always aware when updating, not only TC but other programs too, that configuration change. Yes, their could have been a warning but if you had put so much effort into creating your desktop you should have saved it and also done a backup if your system failed etc. to a external device if it was that important to you.... :P

I would just put it down to experience, take a deep breath and chill  8)

It is Christmas!  :)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 03:08:52 PM by Darrel Carl Durose »

Daz…

V2019 Plat 64bit, Lenovo P72 Laptop, Window 10 Pro for Workstations, Intel Xeon E-2186 CPU @ 2.90 Ghz (6 cores/12 threads), 32GB RAM, 512GB & 1TB SSD's, Nvidia P5200 c/w Max=Q Design GPU, Display UHD 3840 x 2160 pixels
TurboCAD user since V3 and Turbocad 3D V1.

* December 25, 2012, 08:01:43 PM
Is it really that difficult to create a warning prompt and have Genie save the current configuration for us?
“ Warning! Your current configuration is going to be lost during the upgrade. Would you like Genie to keep the current configuration?
I mean there must be a dozen or so warnings already.
 I am sorry Daz but my sympathies go to Steve. You and I both know that this forum is a life line to using Turbocad. If a user of turbocad is not aware of the value this forum along with its helpful members has to offer they are left swimming in a sea of doubt. You can’t rely on the help file for everything. C’mon on Imsi add another one of those warning prompts!  And let Genie do the work for us>

:The program settings are overwritten too! The tcw_xml.ini  file stores the most of the current program settings. So save this too!

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > 2019-2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21,20,19 and 18.Using LightWorks, Anilab lab 5.  HP all in one  23" Touch smart screen with Nvidia Geforce 210, open gl 3.3. Intel Core i5 ,2.27GHz,4 GB ram.

December 26, 2012, 12:38:58 AM
Dean, what did my first sentence say? I think sympathise was in there....

Daz…

V2019 Plat 64bit, Lenovo P72 Laptop, Window 10 Pro for Workstations, Intel Xeon E-2186 CPU @ 2.90 Ghz (6 cores/12 threads), 32GB RAM, 512GB & 1TB SSD's, Nvidia P5200 c/w Max=Q Design GPU, Display UHD 3840 x 2160 pixels
TurboCAD user since V3 and Turbocad 3D V1.

* December 26, 2012, 04:28:21 AM
Dean, Darrell may I mediate for I think you are both correct.

TurboCAD's strength is that it appeals to a wide range of customer skills and abilities unlike Autocad et al which are almost completely used by professionals.

That strength also requires, and please don't take this as a criticism, an idiot proof option for all that keeps customers happy. The professional user may find it a bit of an insult to his intelligence but then again give him the option of ticking a small box saying "Don't show me this again."

This would avoid unhappy customers like the thread starter on what is a much discussed issue regardless of the number of threads and solutions, the numeracy of which only underlines that the issue still exists.

I'm sure the development programmers devouring these posts prefer the "WOW, well done!" type to the "pissed off of Milwaukee" entries. Happy customers tell their pals good news much less frequently than bad but it is more profitable to bring a few to the table than lose at lot of diners. It's all about bums on seats working TurboCAD, the economies of scale which allow greater development and enhancement  which is what we all want. I think?

Happy Xmas to you all!

Windows 8 64 bit
TurboCAD 19.2 build 54.2
HP Pavillion g6
AMD Quad core graphics