TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

Can someone explain hatching philosophy?
Read 1587 times
* September 30, 2009, 07:16:09 PM
Hi everyone,

Ok, maybe this is something that works differently in Pro/Deluxe. I'm using tc v16 designer. I have "Associative Hatching" set in the Display Options panel. But it doesn't seem to do anything. When I insert a hatch into an object, I end up with two separate entities -- one for the original object, and one for the hatch. If I try to edit the nodes, scale, or any other factor of the presumably associated object, I then have to repeat the process for the hatching object (or vice versa). My assumption was that if hatching association was on, that modify one object would automatically do the same thing for the (hopefully) associated object. But that doesn't seem to be the case.

Which brings up the next question. If I can make an object that has pen, brush, and general properties, why do I need two objects anyways? Couldn't I just delete the starting object and use the remaining object with its brush/hatch abilities? Set the brush the way I want it and set the pen the way I want it? Why two nearly-identical objects to create one functional entity?

Thanks!
Mark 

TCW Pro 14.2
TC Deluxe 16.2 Build 53.2

* September 30, 2009, 09:05:13 PM
re: I'm using TC v16 Designer. I have "Associative Hatching" set in the Options / Display panel, but it doesn't seem to do anything.

Use the "Create Hatch" tool, , (found in the Format menu or in the flyout with the other Hatch tools) on a selected closed area. I find that is the only one that works with "Associative Dimensions"; Path Hatching and PickPointHatch do not (possibly a BUG).

re: why do I need two objects anyways?

If I have a closed polyline, I will just give it a hatch in it's Properties, but there will be occasions where these various hatch tools will come in handy.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

* October 01, 2009, 07:25:49 AM
Thanks John for the info. Kind of unfortunate that pick-point doesn't associate. I guess I can see the logic they're using though -- TCAD wants to make sure that the hatching matches actual underlying objects. The behavior with the associative hatch on is a little peculiar, kind of rubbery. Half to play with it.

It seems like what you're saying is that there are no major drawbacks (program failures) if I just brush in hatches, as opposed to doing the default two-object approach. I can see where being able to turn hatching on or off (by turning off layers) might be useful if you had a large application that needed to be printed with and without hatching, but if you're content to always print with hatching, then not having to edit twice seems like a time-saver to me.

Thanks!
Mark

TCW Pro 14.2
TC Deluxe 16.2 Build 53.2