TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

All posts discussing pricing or where to buy TurboCAD will be deleted.

How to add knurling on dial edge
Read 7432 times
* December 08, 2012, 12:05:42 PM
I created a dial and want to put knurling on the edge..  I already created a rectangle and extruded it so I have one 3d rectangle on the edge of the dial and all I need to do now is copy it and rotate it about the axis of the dial.  The rectangle matches the size of the facet on the edges so I think I am OK there.

How would I do a copy of the 3d rectangle (looks like a pup tent) and rotate and paste the tent (the knurls) around the circumfrence of the edge?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 12:12:54 PM by nadsab »

* December 08, 2012, 12:42:26 PM
Different approach would is to wrap with a material.Few samples at the following link

http://forums.turbocad.com/index.php/topic,7102.msg40828.html#msg40828

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

* December 08, 2012, 12:46:52 PM
How about this...I used the rotate tool to copy and paste it around the dial, it works, but I am trying to use the repeat button so I can continously wrap.  So far all I can do now is do them one at a time...how would I use that repeat icon for the rotate tool?

* December 08, 2012, 01:10:59 PM
All depends on the information you load in the lower left and the rotation,sets,angle to get repeat.Which would you need before hand to make a accurate positioning of multiple copies.Would be helpful if attach a tcw. file.The tool your using to accomplish what you want is not ideal for the task.

http://www3.turbocadcommunity.com/tiki-index.php?page=Radial+Copy
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 01:28:47 PM by wd »

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton

* December 08, 2012, 01:19:42 PM
Read it - that's the problem I can't find the "sets" field in the inspector bar.  Is it lower left?  The angle field is there, repeat, but not sets...

* December 08, 2012, 01:20:56 PM
If you use the pyramid method, be sure to turn it into a block, it will drastically reduce the file size and also the rendering time.

* December 08, 2012, 01:33:10 PM
here is a video at this link i made while back on copying

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU3p4VNqvbI

* December 08, 2012, 01:38:28 PM
I don't have an Edit>Copy Enteties>Radial on the menu.

Is it located somewhere else?

* December 08, 2012, 01:58:15 PM
According to my matrix you do have it.It may not be set in workspace configuration.Look in the commnad tab

* December 08, 2012, 02:04:48 PM
OK I found the tool.  It works only problem is it seems to be only copying the pup tent shape in 2D, one of the faces is missing.  Is there a 3D switch?  The other method I used with rotation has the same problem.  I created the ends of the pup tent shape by creating a polyline...
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 02:06:55 PM by nadsab »

* December 08, 2012, 02:11:51 PM
I suspect than you have an open line somewhere in your 2d profile that may be the cause.Reevaluate and close if so.

* December 08, 2012, 02:56:50 PM
Ah I got it I re drew the triangle it's closed now thanks for all the help!  :)

* December 08, 2012, 05:18:51 PM
If you use the pyramid method, be sure to turn it into a block, it will drastically reduce the file size and also the rendering time.

How would I make it a block?

* December 09, 2012, 09:06:49 AM
I created a dial and want to put knurling on the edge..  I already created a rectangle and extruded it so I have one 3d rectangle on the edge of the dial and all I need to do now is copy it and rotate it about the axis of the dial.  The rectangle matches the size of the facet on the edges so I think I am OK there.

How would I do a copy of the 3d rectangle (looks like a pup tent) and rotate and paste the tent (the knurls) around the circumfrence of the edge?

Although your approach will produce an accurate model, it will result in an enlarged file and increased render time and redraw time, and thus it might be advantageous to apply a material with a "Wrapped knurl" Texture instead. Do you want a diamond knurl or a straight knurl? What are the diameter and width/thickness of the knurled edge?

Henry H

* December 09, 2012, 09:41:25 AM
One inch in diameter and 1/8" thick.

Can I do your method in deluxe 19? 

DIamond would be nice just did not know how to do it.

One reason why I did the above for now - is that I have to produce black and white line drawings with no color or grayscale.

* December 09, 2012, 01:17:40 PM
John has few helpful tips that can help you out about materials if toggle around few links.

http://www3.turbocadcommunity.com/tiki-index.php?page=Materials+Example

Henry's book is help as well.But all is need some time to read the material.If you type knurl in the forum search Henry has few knurl patterns on sample images available well worth the studying.Which can give the black & white output you need

http://forums.turbocad.com/index.php/topic,5465.0.html,

* December 09, 2012, 02:49:14 PM
One inch in diameter and 1/8" thick.

Can I do your method in deluxe 19?

DIamond would be nice just did not know how to do it.

One reason why I did the above for now - is that I have to produce black and white line drawings with no color or grayscale.

Yeah, but it's a real hassle in Deluxe. (Attached screenshot shows an example.) I think your method is better.

Henry H
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 03:03:47 PM by Henry Hubich »

* December 09, 2012, 03:55:02 PM
Made this in Deluxe...

Created a Cylinder. Then created a "Cone," using a diamond-shaped Polyline, .0625" wide x .125" high, as the "2D Base" (which results in a pyramid). Placed it by eye on the surface of the cylinder; Radial-copied it (50 copies) to pave the entire cylindrical surface. Added all the little pyramids to make a single object. Copied this; moved it upward a distance equal to one-half its height and rotated it 3.6 deg about the Z axis. Did the same thing again, this time moving the copy downward. Added these 3 objects and the cylinder. Made the chamfers by subtracting revolved polylines from the basic object.

Henry H

* December 09, 2012, 06:59:20 PM
If my memory serves me, I knurled something with V5 deluxe or equivalent somewhere between ten and fifteen years ago by intersecting a left-hand spiral extrusion (a length of bolt thread) with a right-hand one.  Just mirror the thread across the axis.   It might still work.  Intersecting a normal extrusion of a serrated circle with a revolved sawtooth will do it too. 
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 07:46:38 PM by murray dickinson »