TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

All posts discussing pricing or where to buy TurboCAD will be deleted.

Huge bounding box around xref block insert and un deletable layers
Read 6969 times
* December 08, 2012, 07:04:09 AM
Hi,

When I import a file into a drawing as an xref block, there is this huge bounding box around the part I import when I click on the part.  I checked the original xref drawing however and this bounding box appears as normal - the size of the part itself.  What can I do to make the bounding box the same size as the part?

Also on the layers question this might be related I don't know, when I open up the layers palette for this same drawing I am working on, there are several layers that I am unable to delete.  The icon for these un delete-able layers are different from those icons for layers which I can delete - the delete icon on the palette is grayed out when these un delete able layers are highlighted.  These icons show an arrow in the lower left hand corner of the icon.

I believe I created these layers some time ago but deleted the part that was contained on these layers so that may be the problem - I think the un deletable layers are empty not sure. What can I do to delete these no longer needed layers?

December 08, 2012, 01:35:26 PM
Post a screenshot!

It be easier to see whats going on.

FerrariDrafting (Find me on Facebook)
Australia
V16 deluxe
v17 plat
v19 plat
V20 Plat
V21 Plat
TC2016 plat

* December 19, 2012, 06:01:57 AM
Of what?  The layers palette?

December 19, 2012, 12:25:37 PM
Both and are blocks-xrefs deleted from the blocks pallete fully.

FerrariDrafting (Find me on Facebook)
Australia
V16 deluxe
v17 plat
v19 plat
V20 Plat
V21 Plat
TC2016 plat

* December 23, 2012, 02:13:22 AM
re: huge bounding box on XRef
If you do a Select All (Ctrl+A) in the XRef file, does it also show a large bounding box? I suspect the XRef bounding box is showing 'everything' in the drawing.

re: Can't delete layers with strange icons.
Those are most likely the layer names in the XRef file. If you detach the XRef, then those layer names will go away. If you use the Design Director palette, the XRef layers are hidden in Layer Filters.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

December 23, 2012, 09:18:44 AM
Nadsab

Like John mentioned, the layers that are not editable are from the XREF. You can only delete them in the XREF file itself.

With regards to your large bounding box, a few things I would check is that the reference point is in the default location, if it is there is, more than likely some hidden geometry..... it could be the lights?  :P

« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 10:10:13 AM by Darrel Carl Durose »

Daz…

V2019 Plat 64bit, Lenovo P72 Laptop, Window 10 Pro for Workstations, Intel Xeon E-2186 CPU @ 2.90 Ghz (6 cores/12 threads), 32GB RAM, 512GB & 1TB SSD's, Nvidia P5200 c/w Max=Q Design GPU, Display UHD 3840 x 2160 pixels
TurboCAD user since V3 and Turbocad 3D V1.

* December 23, 2012, 10:13:28 AM
So I either delete the layers in the xref file(s) itself, or I detach the xref file(s) from the drawing - that the unwanted layers appear in? And the layers stay in the xref files but just don't appear in the drawing I want them eliminated from?

For the latter, does this mean deleting thumbnails of the xref drawings from the blocks pallet associated with the drawing that the unwanted layers appear in?

Another question - instead of either deleting the layers in the xref files or detaching the xref, is there a way I can just hide them from showing in my layers palette - so the palette is not cluttered with layers I can't edit in the drawing they are linked to?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 10:17:49 AM by nadsab »

December 23, 2012, 10:30:27 AM
I would just delete the layers in the XREF if there is nothing on them.

Close the drawing first that contains the XREF. Then when you have done the above, close that and re-open the file.

Daz…

V2019 Plat 64bit, Lenovo P72 Laptop, Window 10 Pro for Workstations, Intel Xeon E-2186 CPU @ 2.90 Ghz (6 cores/12 threads), 32GB RAM, 512GB & 1TB SSD's, Nvidia P5200 c/w Max=Q Design GPU, Display UHD 3840 x 2160 pixels

* December 23, 2012, 10:36:18 AM
Thanks.

So what's the difference between the Library palette and the block palette?  I have thumbnails in both palettes.

Also, is the design director the same thing as the layer palette for that drawing?

Also is there a way from any of the palettes to find - from the palette alone -  if the xref actually exists or appears in the drawing, without having to hunt through the entire drawing?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 10:47:54 AM by nadsab »

December 23, 2012, 01:29:50 PM
Library Palette is for bringing in symbols and PPM graphics etc. These generally are stored in your drawings so the file can become massive in MB's depending on what you are doing.

Block palette is for either creating blocks within your actual drawing for repeated use or for bringing in XREF's both of which keep your drawing files small as they are references, and make complex drawing easier to manage. You can also delete a block and it removes all the instances in your current drawing.

You can bring all the info you need by customising your desktop, like many Window apps, right clicking anywhere on your TC app window (where all your tool bars are) you can show and hide menu's and tools....

Daz…

* December 23, 2012, 05:15:42 PM
So what's the difference between a symbol and an xref?  Aren't they pretty much the same thing?

December 23, 2012, 05:23:38 PM
Well sort of.
They are separate files in there own right but blocks have the benefit of keeping your main file small, especially if you are working on a large project. Symbols work differently, and have certain benefits as they are being made part of your drawing so layers will come with them and are editable etc.

I personally hardly use the "Library" as I prefer it this way and a habit from the 32bit days trying to stop OOM errors.  :P

Daz…

* December 31, 2012, 10:26:04 AM
So if I detach (or delete - same thing?) the layers or blocks or icons in the Blocks palette, want to make sure - all I am doing is removing that reference in the file that I have open, but I'm not deleting the actual xref file that those layers or blocks reside in - is this correct?

December 31, 2012, 10:36:07 AM
This should help:

Taken from TC 19 Help PDF:

Open: will open the xref in TurboCAD.

Reload: will reload the reference file, including any updates.

Detach: will detach the referenced file, and any insertions of that file in the drawing will be deleted. You cannot detach nested xrefs. You must open the file to which they are attached to remove them.

Bind- Bind embeds the selected XREF as a Block in the drawing. All attachment to the external drawing is lost.

VISRETAIN- Through the Design Director it is possible to edit the various properties of the layers within an XREF. These changes do not affect the original drawing. Even if the external referenced drawing is altered these layer changes will be retained. However, if the XREF is reloaded the changes will be lost. It is possible to disable this feature by changing the $VIZRETAIN variable through the DCExplorer Palette.

Exploding XREFs: When an XREF has been bound to a drawing it becomes a block. Instances of that block in the drawing can be exploded so that you can edit the geometry directly in the drawing
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 10:49:37 AM by Darrel Carl Durose »

Daz…

* December 31, 2012, 05:37:39 PM
So if I detach (or delete - same thing?) the layers or blocks or icons in the Blocks palette, want to make sure - all I am doing is removing that reference in the file that I have open, but I'm not deleting the actual xref file that those layers or blocks reside in - is this correct?

Correct. The actual Xref file remains intact.

Henry H