TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

TurboCAD Equivalent to creating a component in Sketchup?
Read 7635 times
* November 18, 2012, 08:19:41 AM
Hi,

Is there an equivalent method in TurboCAD for creating a 3d part, and then saving it as a component in a component directory, so that I can access that same part and import it into other drawings – as in Google Sketchup?

If so, what is the method or where could I find a tutorial on it?

Thanks for any info.

* November 19, 2012, 01:22:19 AM
I believe you want to create a Symbol. See Library in the Wiki or Help.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

* November 26, 2012, 02:02:23 PM
Thanks much.

A few symbol questions...

I went through the Deluxe 19 help menu and although there is info on there about opening symbols, how would I select a part in a drawing and make it a symbol? 

Can I create a symbol out on an individual 3D part in a drawing that contains several other parts, while working on  that drawing?  Or would I need to copy the part, create a new file, paste the part in the new file, and save it as a symbol with a seperate file name?

Also, If I create a symbol out of a part, and then import that symbol into other drawings, if I need to go back and edit that original symbol, will any changes to that drawing (symbol) in the Symbols library update through all other drawings that contain that imported symbol?

I read this thread:  http://forums.turbocad.com/index.php/topic,4750.msg26386.html#msg26386

and tried dragging and dropping a part into the library symbols folder but it would not drop in there...

Is there an actual "Symbols Palette"?  Or do I just use the library?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 02:42:30 PM by nadsab »

* November 27, 2012, 05:04:23 AM
Let's see…

re: …I went through the Deluxe 19 help menu and although there is info on there about opening symbols, how would I select a part in a drawing and make it a symbol?
Select the part or parts with the Selection tool, then drag-n-drop into the Library palette (formerly known as the Symbols palette). I would recommend placing them in the My Symbols folder or a sub-folder, not one of the symbol folders in Program Files. See Loading an Individual Symbol into the Library in the Wiki.

re: …if I need to go back and edit that original symbol, will any changes to that drawing (symbol) in the Symbols library update through all other drawings that contain that imported symbol?
No. If you bring in a symbol to a drawing, then make it a Block, editing the Block will update copies of that particular Block within that drawing. It won't affect any other drawings.

re: …tried dragging and dropping a part into the library symbols folder but it would not drop in there…
Did you try dropping in the lower or upper pane? Was the palette set to "All Symbols"? I find you need to be in a folder or drop the symbol onto a folder to create a symbol.

I hope some of this helps.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* November 27, 2012, 06:31:47 AM
Thanks - the problem was, the part would not drag and drop unless it was wireframe mode.  For some reason it wont drag and drop into the library palette if it's in hidden line mode.

No. If you bring in a symbol to a drawing, then make it a Block, editing the Block will update copies of that particular Block within that drawing. It won't affect any other drawings.

I'd like to be able to edit symbols and once edited - altered, would like those changes to appear in every instance of every drawing the symbol is placed into.

Is there any way to have any changes made to a symbol filter down into all drawings that the symbol appears in? 
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 07:53:39 AM by nadsab »

* November 27, 2012, 08:26:40 AM
re: …Is there any way to have any changes made to a Symbol filter down into all drawings that the symbol appears in?

I think External References would do what you want. Instead of dragging in a symbol, you would reference a drawing file. This external file could then be edited and drawings in which you referenced this file would show any changes made to it.

In your setup, I believe it's at "Insert / Create External Reference" or "Shift+Alt+X".

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* November 27, 2012, 09:01:21 AM
Thanks,

I tried Insert>Create External Reference, and all it allows me to do is open an existing file.  How would I select a part in a drawing and make it into an Extrenal Reference?

I tried creating a drawing file from scratch, with a new file name, and with an individual part I want to use throughout other drawings (so that I can edit it and changes filter through all other drawings).   I then tried just saving it as a normal drawing, and then chose Insert>Create External Reference, and tried importing that file I just created into an existing drawing, and that would not work either...

In that Link you provided above it reads:
"Note: If you edit the original file from which the xref was created, the block in the current library will not change. You will need to recreate the xref."

In my case, I want to edit the original file for that part, and have the block(s), in all drawings I am using that part in,  for that xref file, to automatically change to reflect those new edits to the original part, when ever I edit that part.

Does this above quote mean there is no way to do this?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 09:15:00 AM by nadsab »

* November 27, 2012, 09:45:15 AM
"I tried creating a drawing file from scratch, with a new file name, and with an individual part I want to use throughout other drawings (so that I can edit it and changes filter through all other drawings).   I then tried just saving it as a normal drawing, and then chose Insert>Create External Reference, and tried importing that file I just created into an existing drawing, and that would not work either..."

In my Deluxe installation, an External Reference enters the target drawing as a Block. I have to drag it out of the Blocks palette to make it visible in the drawing.

Henry H

* November 27, 2012, 10:21:15 AM
So does this mean as a Block, changes - edits to the External reference, will not show in all drawings that use the External Reference?

If so, is there a way to have these changes to the external reference show in all drawings xrefs are used in?

* November 27, 2012, 10:42:43 AM
So does this mean as a Block, changes - edits to the External reference, will not show in all drawings that use the External Reference?

If so, is there a way to have these changes to the external reference show in all drawings xrefs are used in?

In a quick test I just ran, a change to the XRef "master" file DID show in the destination file.

Henry H

* November 27, 2012, 10:58:24 AM
I started a new drawing and inserted your "RodAfterSubtractSubtract1.tcw" into as an External Reference (Xref).
I dragged-n-dropped it from the Blocks palette.
Saved and closed the drawing.
I open "RodAfterSubtractSubtract1.tcw", edited the rod (subtracted a cylinder from it) and saved.
I reopened the first file, the editing appeared in the Xref.
I did some more editing to "RodAfterSubtractSubtract1.tcw" and saved while both files were open.
The first file did not show the changes until I selected the Xref in the lower window of the Blocks palette and used "Reload" (right-click).

I think External References in the Wiki may be more up to date than the Help.

Hopefully this is what you want.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* November 27, 2012, 11:00:40 AM
OK thanks,

I just tried it too and the changes filtered through.  I wonder then why the manual states:

"Note: If you edit the original file from which the xref was created, the block in the current library will not change. You will need to recreate the xref."

The opposite appears to be true.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 11:03:38 AM by nadsab »

* November 27, 2012, 11:11:26 AM
I believe that Note was written before Version 16, after which they added the Reload option.

They have some poor underpaid person juggling 7 different Help files at once, so discrepancies do creep through.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* November 27, 2012, 11:30:58 AM
:)

I noticed that when I go to insert an External Reference as per above, it brings up the "Templates" file folder.  So I am assuming that external references are considered a template for an entire drawing, and not for individual parts in drawings.

Is there a way to set Deluxe 19 up so that I can have a separate file folder for individual parts in a drawing - saving those parts as Xrefs, and also keep the overall template folders for a drawing?  And then independently set the paths for both folders?

I went into Program Setup>File Locations, and although I can modify the path for Templates and Drawings, and Symbols, there is not a way to create or modify paths for individual components or parts file locations and saving those parts as xrefs.

So I am wondering if there is a way to do this, to keep the separate template folder for xrefs, and also make separate folder(s) for individual parts I want to import and later edit those parts for drawings as in Google Sketchup... so that I can keep track of where I am saving individual parts or components of drawings...seperate from the xref template files...
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 11:33:31 AM by nadsab »

* November 27, 2012, 12:05:15 PM
:)

I noticed that when I go to insert an External Reference as per above, it brings up the "Templates" file folder.  So I am assuming that external references are considered a template for an entire drawing, and not for individual parts in drawings.

Is there a way to set Deluxe 19 up so that I can have a separate file folder for individual parts in a drawing - saving those parts as Xrefs, and also keep the overall template folders for a drawing?  And then independently set the paths for both folders?

I went into Program Setup>File Locations, and although I can modify the path for Templates and Drawings, and Symbols, there is not a way to create or modify paths for individual components or parts file locations and saving those parts as xrefs.

So I am wondering if there is a way to do this, to keep the separate template folder for xrefs, and also make separate folder(s) for individual parts I want to import and later edit those parts for drawings as in Google Sketchup... so that I can keep track of where I am saving individual parts or components of drawings...seperate from the xref template files...

You can save a drawing in any folder you wish, but if it's not the default folder, you'll have to navigate to it when saving.

Henry H

* November 27, 2012, 12:08:44 PM
re: I noticed that when I go to insert an External Reference as per above, it brings up the "Templates" file folder.

I believe it opens at the last folder that you used. When I used Create XRef, it opened in the Downloads folder. You can set up a folder anywhere, though I think a sub-folder in Drawings would be best.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* November 28, 2012, 06:11:08 AM
Is there a way to change the default folder for xrefs?  So that every time I save an xref, the save dialogue box brings up that (new) default folder I set up for xrefs?

* November 28, 2012, 07:39:27 AM
Open "File / Save".
Expand the list under "History" and select "Custom".
Click on "New" to create a new title.
Click on the Browse button and select the folder that you're storing your XRef's.
You can leave File Extensions to show any file or specify certain extensions.

When you want to save a drawing to the XREF folder, select the XREF title from the left pane and you're at that location, then Save.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

* November 29, 2012, 05:31:16 AM
OK thanks,

Form the above  it appears I have to create the folder I want to store xrefs in prior to your above.  Correct?

* November 29, 2012, 05:33:05 AM
Correct.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled