TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

Sketchup push-pull equivalent in TC?
Read 6800 times
* November 15, 2012, 05:18:38 PM
Hi,

Lets say I create a 3d Box in Turbo Cad and I want to cut a cylinder through the block, or a slot on one face of the block.  I assume the way to do it would be to draw a circle on the face of the block to start with.

What would be the equivalent method in TC to using the push pull tool in sketchup to do this?

* November 15, 2012, 07:00:36 PM
Imprint, Projection works for me when I need perform this sort of task
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 07:48:49 AM by wd »

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

* November 16, 2012, 12:11:06 AM
Imprint is only available in the Platinum edition.
Quick Pull is available in Pro Basic and Platinum.

In Deluxe, you'll have to create the object, then 3D Subtract.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

* November 16, 2012, 04:47:07 AM

So I just create a cylinder and merge - intersect it with the box then 3D subtract?  Does the subtraction create cylinder walls in the box?

Quick Pull is available in Pro Basic and Platinum.

I could not find Pro Basic anywhere on the tc site, only tc pro...
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 04:53:10 AM by nadsab »

* November 16, 2012, 05:22:01 AM
Quick Pull Tool is the Insert menu

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

* November 16, 2012, 05:31:59 AM
Oh sorry I meant I could not find the software application itself - the "Turbo Cad Pro Basic" application on the Turbo Cad web site...I could only find Turbo Cad Pro...

I wanted to check the price of the basic...

* November 16, 2012, 05:51:08 AM
If I'm not mistaken... Pro is the basic... and Pro Platinum is the upgraded version.

AMD Phenom 1090T
8GB RAM
Radeon 5450 1GB
Windows 7
Redsdk  - Off
Editing History - On
v19.2 Platinum, x64

* November 16, 2012, 07:00:57 PM

So I just create a cylinder and merge - intersect it with the box then 3D subtract?  Does the subtraction create cylinder walls in the box?

Yup. If both ends of the cylinder protrude beyond the box, the hole will go all the way through.

Henry H

* November 17, 2012, 12:14:34 AM
re: If I'm not mistaken... Pro is the basic... and Pro Platinum is the upgraded version.

You are correct. See Help / About in the Wiki.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

* December 14, 2012, 08:19:13 AM
Coming back to this, I am trying out Pro, and tried to select a planar face on a 3d object in wireframe and hidden line modes using the quick pull tool, and the face would not select.  Do I need a different tool to select the face?

Prompt at bottom says use pick point.  Can I do that with the select tool?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 08:23:07 AM by nadsab »

* December 14, 2012, 08:36:03 AM
Just wondered - are you using one of your Deluxe drawings by any chance, as they would be TC surfaces, quick pull only works with Acis solids (in pro version), try this simple test, draw a 3D box, making sure its an Acis solid (right click the object, choose properties and 3D), select quick pull tool, hover over a face and the face should highlight as a grid.

Caution, always save your Deluxe drawings as a new name immediately they are opened in pro, as if you create any Acis drawings in pro they won't subsequently work properly in Deluxe if you decide not to carry on with Pro.

Andy 

* December 14, 2012, 11:23:10 AM
Thanks yes I changed the file name thought that might be a problem.

Yes it was a deluxe 19 file I am editing in pro.  OK in properties>3d the two options that appear for the object are "Solid" and "TC Surface".  ACIS is not listed.  Does "Solid", mean "ACIS Solid"?  I switched to solid, and used the quick pull tool and it did not highlight the surface as a grid. 

I tried drawing a box from scratch and it did not work either.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 11:38:03 AM by nadsab »

* December 14, 2012, 11:46:41 AM
Thanks yes I changed the file name thought that might be a problem.

Yes it was a deluxe 19 file I am editing in pro.  OK in properties>3d the two options that appear for the object are "Solid" and "TC Surface".  ACIS is not listed.  Does "Solid", mean "ACIS Solid"?  I switched to solid, and used the quick pull tool and it did not highlight the surface as a grid. 

I tried drawing a box from scratch and it did not work either.

Oughta work. Start a new drawing, and be sure to create the Box as a Solid (Click the Properties icon on the Inspector Bar after activating the tool but before using it).

Henry H

* December 14, 2012, 12:02:39 PM
Yes I started a box from scratch in Pro and it worked.  THe other drawing I started in scratch in pro did not work - solid was not on at the time.  I tried converting the old box made in pro to a solid and it would not pull.

Does this mean that any drawing I create in Deluxe 19 - I won't be able to get quick pull to work?  No way to convert it to a solid?

* December 14, 2012, 12:09:24 PM
Yes I started a box from scratch in Pro and it worked.  THe other drawing I started in scratch in pro did not work - solid was not on at the time.  I tried converting the old box made in pro to a solid and it would not pull.

Does this mean that any drawing I create in Deluxe 19 - I won't be able to get quick pull to work?  No way to convert it to a solid?

Works for me. Created a Box in v19Deluxe; saved the drawing; opened it in v19Pro; converted the object into a Solid. Quick Pull worked just fine.

Henry H

* December 14, 2012, 01:17:15 PM
That's strange.  I checked every property between both boxes from scratch, and there is no difference between the two.

I wonder why I can't do the quick pull on an already created box?

THe only difference between the two, was one box that was not created as a solid, but I changed it to Solid in properties after I drew it, and it still shows as a solid in properties,