TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

All posts discussing pricing or where to buy TurboCAD will be deleted.

Patching from Turbocad Pro Plat 18.1 to 18.2
Read 2710 times
* September 08, 2012, 03:19:25 AM
I have Turbocad Pro Plat 18.1, and have not yet updated it with the Turbocad Pro Plat 18.2 patch, because my system was running ok for the biggest part, and did not want to lose any of my settings, materials luminances etc in the process.

Can anyone give me some help with the best method to go about patching, while retaining all my settings?.

My system is Win XP sp3.

Thank You!.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 03:21:19 AM by Michael Geraghty »

* September 08, 2012, 04:37:30 AM
as a precaution it wouldn't hurt to back up your Config folder and its contents and rename with a special name.If did lose the settings copy paste it contents in the new folder.In theory shouldn't have to be done.But it wouldn't hurt.In the past lot of end users run into this kind of issue and by not backing things up end up doing the regrettable restore process or have start from scratch.If there is any duplicate files created normally w7 pro prompts a warning dialog requiring a choice to be made.Don't know if will do this in Xp Pro

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

* September 08, 2012, 08:21:09 AM
Thanks WD, that gives me a good starter, even though I am still reluctant as my system has few crashes at present, but got to bite the bullet soon.

* September 08, 2012, 08:21:44 AM
In my opinion, the first thing to do is Save/Update your custom Workspace (Tools / Customize—›Options" page), if you have one. If not, create one by overwriting the current name in the "Save In" list with a unique name and click on the "Save In" button. This will save how your Toolbars, Menus and Palettes are setup, your Workspace, nothing else. I have never found it necessary to save a copy of the "Config" folder (C:\Users\your user name\Documents\TurboCAD Professional 18\Config), as the only items that may be changed are the company supplied files. User files are not touched.

One item that you may want to save is a copy of your INI file in the Built-In folder (C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Roaming\IMSIDesign\TurboCAD\18\Professional\Profiles\Built-in), which is normally Hidden by Windows. The file name is "TCW18_XML.ini". Do not save a copy in the Built-In folder, I usually place a copy in the "Profiles" folder one step above (easier to find). After the Update has been run and you start TurboCAD for the first time, everything in the "Built-In" folder will be destroyed and replaced by new files. Once TurboCAD has been shutdown, replace the new INI file with a copy of your Copy that's in the Profiles folder. To un-hide hidden files, go to Windows Explorer and go to "Tools / Folder Options—›View" page and check the radio button for "Show hidden files and folders".

Restart TurboCAD. You'll have most of your settings, but now you need to load your Workspace. Go to the "Tools / Customize—›Options" page", select your custom Workspace from the "Load From" list, then click on the "Load From" button. Your Workspace should load up to what you had before. OK out of the Customize dialog. You should be back to where you were before the Update.

Your LightWorks items are not touched in an Update or reinstall. They are located in the same area as your INI file. Their folders are Luminance, Materials, RenderSceneEnv and RenderStyles.

The addresses I gave you are for Vista and Window 7. For XP, look at "C:\Documents and Settings\your user name\Application Data\IMSIDesign\TurboCAD\18\Professional\Profiles\Built-in

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2020
Designer, Deluxe, (Basic, Expert, Professional), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1909), 64-bit

* September 08, 2012, 10:41:48 AM
Thanks for the information John, I don't mind saving extra folders as a precaution, as I can always delete them, my main concern was with materials luminance's , environments etc.

* September 08, 2012, 05:35:03 PM
I have Turbocad Pro Plat 18.1, and have not yet updated it with the Turbocad Pro Plat 18.2 patch, because my system was running ok for the biggest part, and did not want to lose any of my settings, materials luminances etc in the process.

Can anyone give me some help with the best method to go about patching, while retaining all my settings?.

My system is Win XP sp3.

Thank You!.
Hi Micheal again
with regards to your concerns with materials,Luminance etc. I don't think you have to much concern there but precautions still wouldn't hurt those particular files are save as dat.,mat. extensions if right click in the palette can make a back up with a special name than do a save you'll have duplicate file.Keep in mind the extension work for me by manually typing them in. Like mention earlier post it always can be deleted at later time.
What would could change if they did some sort revision in the palette contents. With regards to ini. file is to just delete it and let Tc rebuild new one instead of a back up so I have new fresh file. Reason being so I don't have navigate back to it folder to reloaded it.But that my particular preference.After while it gets redundant with that ini. file.Sorry didn't mention it earlier but I got interrupted at my end.

w.d.

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

* September 10, 2012, 06:36:53 AM
Thanks again for all the feedback everyone, I will be patching sometime this week.