TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

Why can´t I get a window sill to display in top view ?!
Read 2524 times
* August 21, 2012, 02:34:41 AM
Hey folks,

I simply do not get it. An old complaint, I know, but here we go again.

I just now kind of got used to the not-so-well-suited-for-construction work-outside-of-the-US window style manager. The not so well part had to be mentioned because apparently the windows you use in the US are infinitely simpler than what is used over here in Germany and most parts of Europe. An example how a window sits in a wall with all details can be found here http://www.brillux.de/fileadmin/redaktion/downloads/detailzeichnungen/pdf/D5_1_1.pdf (vertical section) and here http://www.brillux.de/fileadmin/redaktion/downloads/detailzeichnungen/pdf/D5_2_2.pdf (horizontal section).

I do not get why the frame and the windows always sit in the same plane, and you will understand this when you look at the details in the links above.

But what I really do not get is: how do I get Turbocad to automatically give me two simple lines in my openings that show the inner and outer window sill (or at least the outer edges of the wall opening that I just cut open by inserting a window? It´s just additional work when I always have to draw those lines myself, especially when I simply want to move a window a few cm´s?

Or is it common to show a wall opening in construction drawings always the same way in the anglo-saxon world, regardless of it being for a window, a door or something else?

I am getting more and more frustrated here at the functions meant for professional architectural work.

Michael

* August 21, 2012, 12:59:12 PM
If using V19 Platinum (or 18), have you tried a Custom Block in your Window Style? You could use a simple Box or Extrusion, make it a Block, then apply the Block through the Design section of your Window Style.

The window on the left uses a simple extrusion as a Block. The window on the right uses a slightly more complex extrusion; slanted and has a drip-edge.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

* August 21, 2012, 02:34:33 PM
Joe, thanks for taking the time to create those screengrabs!

Uh-oh. I think I´ll get a slap into the neck from Marek. Because I somehow remember something about custom blocks and boxes and all.

So I guess this is a new feature in the 18, compared to 17, right?

I guess that with the custom blocks it would be possible to create completely custom windows that work with the window style manager? That would be a huge leap for me. Any tutorials out there showing how this is done?

* August 21, 2012, 03:27:56 PM
The "Custom Block" feature was introduced in V18. I looked in two Help files and didn't see anything on a quick look; Fensterstile and Window Styles. The graphics are… :(

It takes about 3-4 years for IMSI/Design to update their Help files. I think they only have one person handling it, along with his 20+ other tasks. I thought there was some sort of explanation on this, but I can't locate it at the moment.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

* August 21, 2012, 05:16:09 PM
I hope you can get the idea  of creating custom blocks for windows from the attached video link. I get consistent results if the window block is created in world plan/plane by world starting at 0,0. Pay attention to the coordinate fields at the lower right as I create the blocks. I also attached a side view of the window.
           http://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/cljr0Rs24
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 05:18:44 PM by Dean »

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > 2019-2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21,20,19 and 18.Using LightWorks, Anilab lab 5.  HP all in one  23" Touch smart screen with Nvidia Geforce 210, open gl 3.3. Intel Core i5 ,2.27GHz,4 GB ram.

* August 22, 2012, 04:10:58 AM
Hey guys, thanks for the input!

Dean, your video´s been watched 26 times since you´ve uploaded it, which to me shows that there is much interest in window customization! I hope IMSI does notice this ;)

Now if the material i.e. the construction type of windows coming with TC would not be wood centric I´d be happy. If I could use different profiles (and I am not talking about the front view of a window, but the actual profiles used to BUILD the windows) I´d be more than happy.

If I got that right you can only add to a window, and not remove or exchange parts, right?

Only a handful of steps to make TC really useful for architects, but the constant radio silence from the developers kind of kills the fun.