TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

Question: How to Set Text Styles for Printing to Multiple Scales
Read 2617 times
* August 23, 2012, 03:59:47 PM
Hello All!

Newbie Question:

I have been working on preparing a set of residential construction drawings for printing with TC.

1) A floor plan, which I would like to print at a scale of 1/4" = 1'-0" on one sheet of paper
2) Several detail drawings that I would like to print together on another sheet of paper at a scale of 1/2" = 1'-0"

These were developed at a recommended scale of 1" = 1" (Full size) in model space. While testing printing, I realized that I needed to scale components (e.g dimensions and text) in model space such that they would be printed correctly after being scaled in the Viewport.

Currently, I have several text styles that are labeled with a print scale. 

STYLE NAME: GeneralText_14
PRINTED HEIGHT: 3/32"
1/4 SCALE MULTIPLIER: 48
MODEL SPACE HEIGHT FOR 1/4 SCALE: 4.5"

STYLE NAME: GeneralText_12
1/2 SCALE MULTIPLIER: 24
MODEL SPACE HEIGHT FOR 1/2 SCALE: 2.25"

My question: Is there a more efficient way to set scale multipliers for text elements that might be printed at different scales?

Thank you very much for your help,

Kate---

Kate---

TurboCAD Professional V19.1 x64

* August 23, 2012, 06:34:02 PM
Hello All!

Newbie Question:

I have been working on preparing a set of residential construction drawings for printing with TC.

1) A floor plan, which I would like to print at a scale of 1/4" = 1'-0" on one sheet of paper
2) Several detail drawings that I would like to print together on another sheet of paper at a scale of 1/2" = 1'-0"

These were developed at a recommended scale of 1" = 1" (Full size) in model space. While testing printing, I realized that I needed to scale components (e.g dimensions and text) in model space such that they would be printed correctly after being scaled in the Viewport.

Currently, I have several text styles that are labeled with a print scale.  

STYLE NAME: GeneralText_14
1/4 SCALE MULTIPLIER: 48
MODEL SPACE HEIGHT FOR 1/4 SCALE: 4.5"

STYLE NAME: GeneralText_12
1/2 SCALE MULTIPLIER: 24
MODEL SPACE HEIGHT FOR 1/2 SCALE: 2.25"

My question: Is there a more efficient way to set scale multipliers for text elements that might be printed at different scales?

Thank you very much for your help,

Kate---

FWIW  Do all your drawing full size in model space, create views and scale them into paper spaces.  Set Dimension properties....Format [Dimension Size Scale] 1..... Text height 3/32". Those properties can be used thru out all dimensioning done in paper space and show correct values regardless of Viewport Scale. The same procedure applies to Text.   
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 06:51:10 PM by Don W, »

DonCW
2017 Pro with Light Works Plug in
2018 Platinum

Windows 10
There's so much to learn and not much time left to learn it.

* August 23, 2012, 09:08:52 PM
Hi Don,

Is there a text size scale attribute for text objects? I looked for one but did not see it. I might not have been looking in the correct place. I am using TC 19 Professional Platinum.

Thank you, Kate

Kate---

August 24, 2012, 07:21:45 AM
Hi Don,

Is there a text size scale attribute for text objects? I looked for one but did not see it. I might not have been looking in the correct place. I am using TC 19 Professional Platinum.

Thank you, Kate

Don't think so Kate.  But I don't get it:  Just as quickly as you can Select a text size scale- if there were one- you can go up there in the Property Bar and type "5", or "3".  I've typed a lot of Text- and placed a lot of Dimensions- with different parameters on different Layers, and switching to different Text Sizes has always been quick, quick, quick.

Two things:  Remember to use Property Values Presets so that you quickly grab a "style" up there in the left field of your Property Bar.
And- you might find it quick and useful to alter your Dimension Text size via the Dimension Size Scale in Dimensions|Properties|Format; that way your Ticks (Arrowheads) change in scale as well as the Text.

----
Like I say, though-  even without the ability to set a pre-defined "text size scale", I have always been able to change my Text size very quickly.

-Alvin

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* August 24, 2012, 08:13:47 AM
Good Morning Alvin,

Ah-ha!  The Property Value Presets is just what I needed.  That does make it very easy to grab a different style of text.

And setting the text size in the Property Bar is also very efficient, and, as you said, quick, quick, quick.

Thanks so much!

Kate---

Kate---

August 24, 2012, 09:09:07 AM
Good Morning Alvin,

Ah-ha!  The Property Value Presets is just what I needed.  That does make it very easy to grab a different style of text.

And setting the text size in the Property Bar is also very efficient, and, as you said, quick, quick, quick.

Thanks so much!

Kate---

You're welcome Kate.  One more thing sorta' on this Topic- at least I know you will find it useful:

Regarding that Property Value Presets, you might tend to use lengthy "names" or verbage for your Presets.  If so, you'll likely get frustrated that you can't see the whole "name" in the Field box in the top/left of the Property Bar.  Here's how you can change the size of that field-box (I was into TurboCAD a few years before I- happily- discovered this):

Go to Tools|Customize up there in the menu bar.  While that Customize window is open, click in that Property Value Presets field-box in the left of the Property Bar- it will outline black; now drag the right side of that field-box open some to the right to make it larger.  Now Save that in the Customize window in your "default" Workspace ("Save In" field) configuration file.

-Alvin
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 02:15:21 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio
(mostly Residential Architectural 2D; no formal CAD Training; intermittent TurboCAD user since yr. 2000 [ver6.5])
---TurboCAD: V21PP; V20.2PP; V19DL; V11.2Pro; Windows-7-Pro/64-bit; Intel-Core-i3 CPU; 2.27ghz; 4GB RAM; Intel HD Graphics (CPU based)

* August 24, 2012, 05:31:09 PM
Hi Alvin,

That is a great trick! It should be posted in the "Tips and Tricks" section of the forum, if it is not already.

(And yes, I tend to be *somewhat* verbose when naming things.....)   ;-]

Kate---

Kate---

August 24, 2012, 06:07:47 PM
Hi Alvin,

That is a great trick! It should be posted in the "Tips and Tricks" section of the forum, if it is not already.

(And yes, I tend to be *somewhat* verbose when naming things.....)   ;-]

Kate---

Verbose:  Hey, that's me!  I used to say I was loquacious... but verbose, that's more correct.  You should see, Kate, how long I can make a simple email with all my added words... and sentences... and paragaphs.... much... like.... this.

Thanks for the word of the day.  I like words- keep a little dictionary above the glovebox in my truck.

-A.

The customize field-box procedure I detailed previously this Topic is not so much a "trick", I think all users of an intermediate level or above pretty much know it.  Shoot, there is so much that can be learned in this little TC program.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 06:19:01 PM by Alvin Gregorio »

Alvin Gregorio