TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

cam plugin
Read 1114 times
* August 14, 2012, 10:30:15 AM
i am thinking of updating my software so i don't have much time 1 day so someone please answer soon.
i want to update to v16 platinum w/cam plugin i don't understand 2 1/2 d ? so can the cam plug in simulate contour milling or is it just a flat plane 2d mil simulation? what can the cam plugin really do?

* August 15, 2012, 12:02:37 AM
For a 3D model, it generates a series of flat plane toolpaths that are 'stacked'.  Layered toolpaths, capable of achieving pretty much the same sort of resolution in z as in x,y.  No undercuts is the reason it isn't 3D, so you have to plan your milling to avoid them.

* August 15, 2012, 05:11:02 AM
thank you for the help.

August 15, 2012, 05:48:22 AM
For a 3D model, it generates a series of flat plane toolpaths that are 'stacked'.  Layered toolpaths, capable of achieving pretty much the same sort of resolution in z as in x,y.  No undercuts is the reason it isn't 3D, so you have to plan your milling to avoid them.

I have never tried to set up a CAM operation on a 3D model. Does the model need to be exploded first? Just curious.

TurboCAD user since v3
 TurboCAD on flickr || My twitter ||

* August 15, 2012, 07:13:09 AM
No.   The only proviso is that the job is set up has to have the widest part of the model at the base, so some models are split and machined in sections.    I'm using TCCADCAM V3, which is pretty old now, but it serves my needs, importing models saved back as ACIS 11.