I've just started using Xrefs myself. So far I'm trying to keep that to objects that won't require much editing after insertion. Yes I am using solids, but only for the last year as I just upgraded to 18 Plat. Before that I was at 16 Deluxe. When you say you need to adjust sizes using delta editing, do you delta edit nodes? I can see how that would be easy. I guess I don't know the difference between surface objects and solids when they are made into blocks. I suspect in order to node edit a surface block or group of blocks they would have to be exploded back to the object level? Which would then nullify the advantages of blocks, correct? In that case to speed up the drawing I would think it would make sense to use symbols instead. I do like using blocks though because it makes for much faster drawing when I can just drag n drop a cabinet, make some size/name/material adjustments and move on as well as keeping file size manageable. Also, it's easy to get the information I need for my reports.
My blocks are nested only twice ( I think ), and I usually will have to explode each instance one time anyway. At least this is what I am planning for. My planned methodology goes like this. Start a new drawing with a floorplan, drag a cabinet block, explode once, this gets me to a group of blocks that are the individual cabinet parts. The group does two things, first makes it easy to select the cabinets, second allows me to give that cabinet a name that helps to organize the report. I then can resize the cabinet by going into group edit mode, selecting an appropriate iso veiw, selecting the appropriate block/blocks (cabinet part/parts) that need to move, delta move them, then select all the other blocks that need to resize to the moved blocks and stretch them to proper location. I can also add other blocks as the design calls for. Exit group edit. Takes longer to type than to do of course. The reasons I have developed this method is:
1: reduce drawing time
2: make it easy to make changes/updates
3: Keep file sizes smaller
4: Keep things flexible
5: Have the ability to extract all the information I need in reports.
6: Keep that information organized to make it easier to send to cutlistplus.
It's taken a bit of trial and error to get to this point but I think I am on the right path (at least I hope so!). I certainly can keep everyone updated once I am comfortable this is working well (in a new thread). I know Don Cheke created a tutorial a while back along these lines that actually inspired me to play with the database functions. If there is anything here that he would like to use for a possible update to that tutorial or anything else he would like, he is most certainly welcome to it.
As far as doors go, that has been a source of frustration for me. It's easy to draw, but very difficult to resize, unless you don't mind having the stiles and rails change width and make the door look distorted. A little while ago, I successfully created a door that is easy to resize using constraints. The next step for me is to make that a parametric part. I was close once but couldn't find the right answer. I've attached that file if you want to play with it. I tried Sketchup too, but not being proficient with it, I was unable to make that work either, and gave up on it.
Good luck on your quest, and if I can be of assistance let me know.