TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

Seeding an Object’s Coordinate System
Read 117 times
January 25, 2020, 01:55:03 PM
TurboCAD 2019 Deluxe 64-bit on Windows 10 Professional

I'm trying to get the LightWorks wood materials to have the wood grain direction correct for objects that are using the same material but are aligned to a different xyz axis. I read about using a Seed object to change the entity's coordinate system but I can't get that to work. This is what I followed;  http://www.textualcreations.ca/TurboCAD%20Tips/TurboCAD%20Tip%206.pdf What i end up with is the same as not using a seed and just applying the material as you normally would.When I do the 3D Add I've tried selecting the seed first and also the destination object first but end up with the same result. Does this seeding technique work with Deluxe, if so, are there preferences that need to be set?

My work around is to duplicate the material with a new name and change the trunk direction appropriately, but, I'd rather do the seeding if that will work when using TurboCAD Deluxe.

Thanks,   -phil
« Last Edit: Today at 11:56:36 AM by vbphil »

Retired Software Engineer, Amateur Woodworker
TurboCAD 2019 Deluxe 64-bit
Windows 10 Professional

January 25, 2020, 02:15:02 PM

I'm trying to get the LightWorks wood materials to have the wood grain direction correct for objects that are using the same material but are aligned to a different xyz axis. I read about using a Seed object to change the entity's coordinate system but I can't get that to work. This is what I followed;  http://www.textualcreations.ca/TurboCAD%20Tips/TurboCAD%20Tip%206.pdf What i end up with is the same as not using a seed and just applying the material as you normally would, but, the seed is changing instead. When I do the 3D Add I've tried selecting the seed first and also the destination object first but end up with the same result. Does this seeding technique work with Deluxe, if so, are there preferences that need to be set?

My work around is to duplicate the material with a new name and change the trunk direction appropriately, but, I'd rather do the seeding if that will work when using TurboCAD Deluxe.

Thanks,   -phil

Hi Phil,

I believe the answer lies here:

https://forums.turbocad.com/index.php/topic,5625.msg32066.html#msg32066

Regards Tim

You can design without engineering, but you cannot engineer without design.
Using Win 10 with Designer 2016/2017 and TurboCAD Pro. Plat. 2018/2019 + Lightworks (64-bit versions) + AnimationLab 5.2.
Windows 10 Pro (1909) 64-bit

* January 25, 2020, 06:37:17 PM

I'm trying to get the LightWorks wood materials to have the wood grain direction correct for objects that are using the same material but are aligned to a different xyz axis. I read about using a Seed object to change the entity's coordinate system but I can't get that to work. This is what I followed;  http://www.textualcreations.ca/TurboCAD%20Tips/TurboCAD%20Tip%206.pdf What i end up with is the same as not using a seed and just applying the material as you normally would, but, the seed is changing instead. When I do the 3D Add I've tried selecting the seed first and also the destination object first but end up with the same result. Does this seeding technique work with Deluxe, if so, are there preferences that need to be set?

Thanks,   -phil

Hi Phil,
It should work.
I tried it in Deluxe Lightworks 2017.
> LightWorks "wood patterns"  and "Wrapped image" materials accepted the seed material coordinates. I tried it on a "Box" 3d primitive.

Maybe, make sure "transfer material from operand on its facet" under > Options > "advanced preferences" is unchecked.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 07:16:31 PM by Dean »

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > 2019-2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21,20,19 and 18.Using LightWorks, Anilab lab 5.  HP all in one  23" Touch smart screen with Nvidia Geforce 210, open gl 3.3. Intel Core i5 ,2.27GHz,4 GB ram.

* January 25, 2020, 07:18:57 PM
Dean, how'd you make it work? I haven't been able to.

Henry H

* January 25, 2020, 09:25:09 PM
Dean, how'd you make it work? I haven't been able to.

Henry H

Henry, Using Deluxe 2017 > if the 3d primitives and or extrudes are not drawn on the world plane.

Try the attached..
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 09:40:41 PM by Dean »

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > 2019-2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21,20,19 and 18.Using LightWorks, Anilab lab 5.  HP all in one  23" Touch smart screen with Nvidia Geforce 210, open gl 3.3. Intel Core i5 ,2.27GHz,4 GB ram.

Today at 08:57:45 AM

Henry, Using Deluxe 2017 > if the 3d primitives and or extrudes are not drawn on the world plane.

I agree with Dean. If the objects are not drawn on the World plane the seeding worked. I seeded a TC Surface object from a Box seed.

Nice to know but I got in the habit of drawing off the World plane so I'll have to rethink that if I need to use materials in the final drawing.

I wonder if this behavior is by design or an undesired consequence of something else?

Thanks for the replys,  -phil

Retired Software Engineer, Amateur Woodworker
TurboCAD 2019 Deluxe 64-bit
Windows 10 Professional

* Today at 10:01:48 AM
Yup, it works, but quite differently from Pro/Platinum. I'm still not sure whether it's possible to shift the origin of a pattern by seeding in Deluxe.

Henry H