TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

Simple Fabrication
Read 56 times
* December 11, 2019, 05:39:36 PM
Got a request to create a simple object, then it morphed into a more complex design, so how can I simulate the requirements. Starting with the specs.jpg I created the required object, then received a request to design by the fab lines.jpg. Seems that the customer wants a complete build by incrementally bending the object, unless theres another way forward?

Daz
TCW V21, 2015-2019 PP, Animation Lab V5.2 & Redsdk enabled, LightWorks rendering mostly.

* December 11, 2019, 05:50:59 PM
Yeah, I agree that's what he seems to want. But I don't think he's gonna get it, because I don't think it's feasible for several bend lines to meet at one point. Wouldn't bet much money on that opinion, though.

Henry H

* December 11, 2019, 05:59:46 PM
I used to have a technical fabrication manual from my navy days that was published in the 70s that covered this  type of design ( in general ) oh how I wish I had it now.

Im thinking that its possible but its gunna take a lot of trial and error to get it right. Im also tipping that its not gunna be cost efficient for the customer.

Daz
TCW V21, 2015-2019 PP, Animation Lab V5.2 & Redsdk enabled, LightWorks rendering mostly.

* December 11, 2019, 06:15:26 PM
I'm starting to change my mind; I think mebbe it can be done. I can't do it in TCad with more than 3 lines meeting at a point, but in real life it might work.

Henry H

* Today at 06:34:06 PM
Punch out or allow clearance around the coincidence point (ie so that the lines don't meet) and bend material and it'll work.   

* Today at 06:56:18 PM
Punch out or allow clearance around the coincidence point (ie so that the lines don't meet) and bend material and it'll work.

Bend relief. Yup. Except that it is usually made large enough to keep bends from encroaching on their neighbors. With seven bends converging to one point, wouldn't the bend relief become enormous?

Henry H

* Today at 07:02:23 PM
It would be a practical necessity though, not only a theoretical CAD issue.

If it were done in material say .4mm or thinner, it wouldn't be difficult, the drawing doesn't specify a radius either. 
« Last Edit: Today at 07:05:14 PM by murray dickinson »

* Today at 07:14:57 PM
I just realized that the smaller the bend angle the less it encroaches upon its neighbor, so maybe the relief needn't be so humongous after all.

Henry H

* Today at 07:42:14 PM
Looked like an interesting TCad exercise, so here it is...

The bends don't quite meet at a point, BTW.

Henry H