TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

Graphics card upgrade advice.
Read 2885 times
* April 06, 2012, 08:39:23 AM
Hello, I have recently purchased Turbpcad Pro Platinum 19 with the intention of drawing floorplans, elevations and cross sections for large houses as well to make 3d models in the 5,000 to10,000 polygon range.

My current system spec is:
Intel I7 920
12GB ram
Radeon HD 4850 In a two card crossfire array.
Win 7 pro 64bit

I was wondering if I put in a firepro v4900 would I notice any improvement to performance and if so by how much.

Cheers
stonefisher

* April 06, 2012, 10:12:58 AM
There is about 8 varietys of that card.If works with Redsdk option I wouldn't bother changing cards.Your existing card could be slated for retirement.I'm wondering since your machine use two cards will it support the single card.This would be a good question to address or call on the phone to AMD support.The links below would be to look over for suggested reading.I use the Firepro and works well at my end having higher memory would be advantage though.There other thing to keep mind is driver compatibility what is present compared to what will be installed,

http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDSupportHub.aspx

http://support.amd.com/us/certified/graphics-cards/Pages/listing.aspx

http://www.redway3d.com/pages/redsdk.php

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

* April 06, 2012, 01:04:38 PM
I chose two XFX 4850 512mb graphics cards as it performs as well as a GTX 460 which I was going to get but the two older cards together cost over £100 less at the time.

The two 4850 cards are duel slot which leaves me one pcie x16 slot for a workstation card. My system has the power and coolling to handle the extra card.

I was thinking of making my system as a duel boot so one OS would be with the two 4850's and the other just the workstation card to avoid driver conflicts and distractions while working.

As for redsdk, I cant say if it works with it or not. I have inly just got the program.

In the program settings menu, under the desktop heading there is a tick box for OpenGL Hardware acceleration. It is ticked but the tick box and line is grayed out and the tick box cannot be toggled. Does this mean its active but cant be turned off or that its not available to be turned on?

Current performance is unimpressive and I have no idea how to check for bottlenecks with this software. But I was hoping a workstation card would perform better as its designed for this.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 01:09:45 PM by stonefisher »

* April 06, 2012, 01:14:20 PM
The 4850 should work fine with the RedSDK. It's one of the supported chipsets.

WillR
SW:TC 21 Pro Platinum, FM15, 20 Pro Platinum 64 Bit, also V 19.1 64Bit & 32 bit 17.2 and 18.1; Furniture Maker 14 and 10. HW: Vista 64 Ultimate, AMD 1090 (6 core) 8GB memory Plus also an AMD  8 core systemFX

* April 06, 2012, 02:02:12 PM
Go to Options+Program Set-Up+Native Draw+GDI and tick GDI and let TC restart itself than check for Open GL that should clear the Gray out and now it can be unchecked or rechecked.

“In the program settings menu, under the desktop heading there is a tick box for OpenGL Hardware acceleration. It is ticked but the tick box and line is grayed out and the tick box cannot be toggled. Does this mean its active but cant be turned off or that its not available to be turned on?”

Activating Redsdk mode will disable the ability to turn off two application settings:
   *   OpenGL Hardware Acceleration
   *   Draw Form Building Edges
Redsdk requires these settings to be on at all times to function properly.

Returning to GDI mode will re-enable these settings.

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton

* April 06, 2012, 07:19:34 PM
Yep looked around more and does support redsdk though it complains about the drivers not being certified. I am using newer ones from AMD.

The image stutters badly when I move it when in Visual style hidden. Its most annoying.

So back to the original question would this card improve performance or is something else causing the problem. I monitor the CPU, Memory and GPU when in the program and nothing ever rises past half way in usage.

Anyone know any good relevant card performance websites?

* April 06, 2012, 10:03:58 PM
"The image stutters badly when I move it when in Visual style hidden. Its most annoying." I had similar issue.The graphic driver needed repair,That dialog that's complaining I just ignore since I have the latest driver installed.