TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

All posts discussing pricing or where to buy TurboCAD will be deleted.

Moving Turbocad to a new computer
Read 11187 times
March 18, 2012, 08:52:32 AM
I am a long-standing user of Turbocad and have upgraded regularly from V7 up to (now) v18 platinum. However, all that (i.e. several old versions) is on what is now an old computer running Windows XP. I now have a new computer running Vmware workstation with 64 bit windows 7 running on it as a client. I want to abandon Windows XP and move to Windows 7 64 bit.
BUT I understand that the upgrade requires the previous version to be installed (and of course that it recursive back through the years). Has anyone any guidance on how to proceed.
I have a good working copy of v18.1 on the XP machine and have not yet bought V19 but will do so once I have my plan for migration.

Ray
Currently: Turbocad 2017 Platinum  (64bit) on Windows 10 home premium under VMware virtualisation on top of Suse Linux.
4 Core (8 thread) Intel Core I7, 16Gbyte main memory (3 cores and 12gbytes allocated to TC).

Was: TC18, et al all the way back to 7.

March 18, 2012, 09:41:08 AM
Ray

It doesn't require the previous to be installed, you just need your old serial and activation codes from your TC18...
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 10:12:08 AM by Darrel Carl Durose »

Daz…

V2019 Plat 64bit, Lenovo P72 Laptop, Window 10 Pro for Workstations, Intel Xeon E-2186 CPU @ 2.90 Ghz (6 cores/12 threads), 32GB RAM, 512GB & 1TB SSD's, Nvidia P5200 c/w Max=Q Design GPU, Display UHD 3840 x 2160 pixels
TurboCAD user since V3 and Turbocad 3D V1.

* March 18, 2012, 09:53:22 AM
Shouldn't have to worry about the recursive back issues if down load the trail version from Tc's website since you haven't bought and install for your 64 bit machine.Although you can load 18.1 on your 64 bit.

FWIW:
Can I run 32-bit programs on a 64-bit computer?

Most programs designed for the 32-bit version of Windows will work on the 64-bit version of Windows. Notable exceptions are many antivirus programs.

Device drivers designed for 32-bit versions of Windows won't work on computers running a 64-bit version of Windows. If you're trying to install a printer or other device that only has 32-bit drivers available, it won't work correctly on a 64-bit version of Windows.

Can I run 64-bit programs on a 32-bit computer?

If the program is specifically designed for the 64-bit version of Windows, it won't work on the 32-bit version of Windows. (However, most programs designed for the 32-bit version of Windows will work on the 64-bit version of Windows.)

Device drivers designed for the 64-bit version of Windows won't work on computers running a 32-bit version of Windows. To learn how to check for drivers, see Update a driver for hardware that isn't working properly or go to the device manufacturer's website.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 04:14:20 AM by wd »

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

March 19, 2012, 01:46:49 AM
Ray

It doesn't require the previous to be installed, you just need your old serial and activation codes from your TC18...

Darrel, Many thanks for resolving my worries. I have serial and activation codes although they are about a year old now.
I will get on and load 64 bit TC19 on my shiny new computer and hopefully go a little faster than a 2003 windows XP laptop!

Ray
Currently: Turbocad 2017 Platinum  (64bit) on Windows 10 home premium under VMware virtualisation on top of Suse Linux.
4 Core (8 thread) Intel Core I7, 16Gbyte main memory (3 cores and 12gbytes allocated to TC).

March 19, 2012, 01:57:20 AM
Shouldn't have to worry about the recursive back issues if down load the trail version from Tc's website since you haven't bought and install for your 64 bit machine.Although you can load 18.1 on your 64 bit.

Thanks WD; well, if I have problems, I will give the trial version a go. To save excessive downloading I will start with the full package and see how I get on. If for some reason that does not work, then back to the drawing board (not literally you understand, just back to XP!)

Regarding your other info on use of 64 bit Windows, so far I have only used keyboard, mouse and Epson stylus pro 3800 network printer for TC all of which are well supported. On a virtual machine I am not sure how I would get on with other devices such as graphics tablets - but I don't have those yet. My BIG issue is whether the virtual machine accelerator pass-through for the Nvidia Quadro 600 graphics card will support the RedSDK accelerator library used by IMSI - heres hoping.

Ray

Ray

March 19, 2012, 11:17:21 AM
Thankyou for your help. I just bought TC19 update to TC18 and it installed with the TC19 serial and activation and the TC18 serial. Unfortunately RedSDK does not recognise the VMWARE 3D graphics driver so no redsdk. Still, it is considerably quicker to run than on my 10 year old laptop!

Regards, Ray Foulkes

Ray

* October 08, 2012, 06:15:11 AM
Hi _ Could anyone tell me where the turbocad settings for the blocks and the menu positions and other settings etc are.

I reinstalled my TC 11 to a new computer and want to restore ( move)  my settings. from the older computer to the new one.

thanks

V 11.2 Professional Win xP

* October 08, 2012, 03:13:11 PM
If you have a custom configuration saved, you can copy that file (*.cfg) from the Config folder to the Config folder in the new installation. Go to "Tools / Customize—›Setup" page, select your custom configuration from the "Load From" list, then click on the "Load From" button.

You could copy your INI file over, but the links to symbols will most likely be wrong. C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Roaming\IMSI\TurboCAD\11.0\Professional\Profiles\Built-in\TCW11_XML.ini
Your custom Templates can be copied over to the new Templates folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\IMSI\TCWP11\Template
You'll have to move and reload any Symbols. C:\Users\your user name\Documents\TurboCAD 11.0\Symbols and wherever else you have stored them.
Anything else in the "C:\Users\your user name\Documents\TurboCAD 11.0" folder that you created can be copied over.

The addresses quoted are from Vista.

I think that cover most of it.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit