TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

settings don't save
Read 5915 times
* November 13, 2011, 06:16:01 PM
Hi
I have a problem with my settings not saving on exiting TC 18.2 Plat/Pro. I have the 'save settings' checked in the Options menus.
It looks like my menu bars are all pulled to the right of the screen and I need to pull them all back each time.
I also have a 2d, 3d and full button on the menu bar nest to Help, which when I left click give me a message that I coul loose all my settins if I proceed. These appeared with the 18.2 patch. Does anybody knowwhat  are they for please?
Axel

December 03, 2011, 11:57:56 AM
Since I know TC (v3), I always have problems with that. Sometimes I need reload the settings each time I open TC, sometimes it happens once a month, or once a year, it depends on the version or the computer.

Yesterday a friend calls to me to say that he has lost his personnals keyboard shortcuts (v18 DL)   ;)

since v3, now v2016 PP on Windows 10 Pro

December 03, 2011, 01:28:00 PM
And when you update v18 --> v18.1 or v18.1 --> v18.2, you must reload your settings (if you have save it), but it is only the toolbar and the keyboard shorcuts. If you have not save it, you must all redo.

All the other settings "option" and "snap" are to rebuild  >:(
It means : you have to remember all of them  >:(

* December 03, 2011, 01:50:07 PM
And when you update v18 --> v18.1 or v18.1 --> v18.2, you must reload your settings (if you have save it), but it is only the toolbar and the keyboard shorcuts. If you have not save it, you must all redo.

All the other settings "option" and "snap" are to rebuild  >:(
It means : you have to remember all of them  >:(

You can save these settings, and reuse them with each new update of the same version... 18.0 to 18.1 to 18.2... etc. Depending on which UI you are using, you want to save backup the following files:

1. Your .cfg file for the Standard UI, or the .xcfg and .xml files for the Themes UI.

2. The tcw18_xml.ini file

3. The desktop18.ist file (optional)

Sometimes, the tcw18_xml.ini becomes corrupt, so it always a good idea to backup and save this file after you first setup TC the way you want it.

AMD Phenom 1090T
8GB RAM
Radeon 5450 1GB
Windows 7
Redsdk  - Off
Editing History - On
v19.2 Platinum, x64

December 04, 2011, 05:10:48 AM
I have 2 files in "config" folder: name.XCFG and name.XML

In "customise", I see only "name", I don't know witch one it is. After choosing it, toolbars and SEKE are OK.

I don't find on the hard drive "desktop18.ist".
I found tcw18_xml.ini, must I backup this file and replace it after the upgrade?

I can't believe that IMSI don't ask, during the install, if we want to keep the settings...

* December 04, 2011, 06:00:30 AM
The .xcfg and .xml files are the ones that restore your SEKEs, Toolbars... etc.

The tcw18_xml.ini stores other settings.. the ones under Options/Program Setup. So, Yes... back that up as well.

AMD Phenom 1090T
8GB RAM
Radeon 5450 1GB
Windows 7
Redsdk  - Off
Editing History - On
v19.2 Platinum, x64

December 04, 2011, 06:09:25 AM
OK, Thank you!

* December 04, 2011, 12:44:37 PM
You're welcome.

AMD Phenom 1090T
8GB RAM
Radeon 5450 1GB
Windows 7
Redsdk  - Off
Editing History - On
v19.2 Platinum, x64

January 24, 2012, 08:59:19 AM
You can save these settings, and reuse them with each new update of the same version... 18.0 to 18.1 to 18.2... etc. Depending on which UI you are using, you want to save backup the following files:

1. Your .cfg file for the Standard UI, or the .xcfg and .xml files for the Themes UI.

2. The tcw18_xml.ini file

3. The desktop18.ist file (optional)

Sometimes, the tcw18_xml.ini becomes corrupt, so it always a good idea to backup and save this file after you first setup TC the way you want it.
[/quote]

I'm glad that I took Greg's advice last week and saved these files. I don't know what caused it (could have been using regedit ??) but I went back into TurboCAD to find that I just had the top menu but nothing else. Having spent some time customising my personal toolbar and adding some extra ones it would hve been very annoying to have to start from scratch. I was just able to copy the saved files over to the relevant directories and everything was back the way it was. One little thing that I found that helps though is to put a text file into those saved directories that states where those files are located as it can take a bit of time to locate them again.
Thanks for the very uesful tip Greg!

Nick
(United Kingdom)
TurboCAD 20 Pro Platinum.
Windows 7 64 bit.

February 13, 2012, 02:35:37 PM
I'm having problems locating these files on my windows 7 machine. Can someone tell me where they will be located?

Nick
(United Kingdom)
TurboCAD 20 Pro Platinum.
Windows 7 64 bit.

* February 13, 2012, 03:22:19 PM
They should be located in the folder: C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Roaming\IMSIDesign\TurboCAD\18\Professional\Profiles\Built-in. I believe this is a Hidden folder. Going to "Tools / Folder Options" in Windows Explorer, then change the "Hidden files and folders" setting will reveal it. I think that the Windows Search function doesn't look in those areas.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit