TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

Suggested approach to model this bracket ?
Read 1917 times
* February 01, 2012, 05:07:38 AM
Hello all,  I posted last week - I am evaluating TurboCad Professional at the moment to see if it will meet my needs - I'm interested in drawing up WW1 fighter aircraft in full detail.  While most of my output would be in the normal 2D views of the parts, I need to be able to assemble the parts into a full model as well.  With a background in other packages that deal with 3D, but not CAD, I am quite comfortable with the 2d tools in TurboCad, but can't really feel comfortable in assessing the 3d tools.  My post last week got a few helpful replies, and of course one of them was to post an example of what I am trying to do.
I have included a couple of images here of a metal bracket that would go around a wooden spar in the wing.  The two 'isometric' views are from 180 degrees apart, with a side elevation thrown in for good measure.  As the sketch is so poor, let me describe the part a little.

The bracket consists of a sheet of steel that has been bent to fit a wooden spar (not shown) that is a bit like a parallelogram in cross section.  At the front of the bracket there are three holes allowing the slot-topped bolts to pin the bracket together.  There are 'lightening' holes in the vertical part of the bracket at the front, both above and below the rounded flanges in the front of the bracket.

At the top of the bracket there is a 'blob' of steel which is an odd shape as a result of sitting on the slope of the bracket.  This blob also has - 1 slot headed bolt, one domed piece of steel in the middle that has a slot cut into the hemispherical dome, and at the end a cylinder which has been cut out down the middle - and then holes into the sides of what remained.

At the back of the bracket (scan2.jpg), on the right of the image there is a flange with a hole in it coming out from the edge and being bent backwards.  Next, in the middle is a steel tube that comes out of the bracket, and next to that is another flange with a hole in it.  This time it is clear that this flange material comes from the body of the steel, and has been bent away from it.

So,  there is one sample and there are a lot of weird and wonderful shapes in it.  I have measurements for most of the key dimensions, so I will be looking to have a very accurate model built in due course.

Can anyone be so kind as to give me a few pointers as to how to best generate a bracket like this ?  Should I be using primitives and moving, scaling and booleaning them together, or taking 2d shapes and extruding them ?  I'm not looking for someone  to model this for me, just to give me a little direction, before my trial period expires.

* February 01, 2012, 06:29:27 AM
Had a bash.  I swept an open profile for the shaped main part, and each of the sweeps were done with compound profile enabled to permit downstream editing.  I didn't fillet the polyline because TC will blend zero-thickness sheets, and blends can be suppressed and the radius edited downstream with the blends kept tangential automatically, while that has to be done manually with polylines.  Which is a knuckle-chewing chore.  After the longitudinal blends, I shelled the part.  Then I simple swept the lateral closed profile and intersected the two sweeps, which allows editing the angle of the end cuts by node editing the lateral profile, then applied blends to the tips of the bolt flange.  Another smaller profile (again, the polyline not filleted) for the mounting face on the side, extruded a tad and then its face extruded to that of the major body.  Blends applied, first at the corners of the profile, then to the intersections with the major part.  Holes and screws can be detailed conventionally.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 05:09:50 PM by murray dickinson »

* February 01, 2012, 09:10:11 AM
My 2 bits at this.

I created a 2D profile of the bent sheet, then offset a copy a 1/16" and closed the ends. I used Simple Extrude with the 2-sided option (easier to access the profile if necessary) to make the main part.

I used Workplane by 3 Points to create workplanes on the sides (though there are many ways to do this) and drew profiles for the other objects. I used the Quick Pull tool to punch holes through both end tabs, then used the Fillet Edges tool to round over the corners. On the side portion, I used the Imprint tool on the various profiles, pulling them up from the main face at different times.  Quick Pull was used again to punch holes in that flange.

It's a start.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 04:59:25 AM by John R »

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

* February 02, 2012, 05:02:25 AM
Wow !Murray and John - thank you both very much for looking at my little issue and taking the time to resolve it,  and even post some images and files to make everything so clear.  It is very much appreciated !  I'll work through both approaches in some detail, and see what learnings I can come away with regarding Turbocad.  It is certainly suggestive that I may be able to use TurboCad for my bigger project.  Once again, thanks for your time. :)

Alex

* February 02, 2012, 05:17:57 AM
You're welcome. 

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

February 02, 2012, 07:37:21 AM
John, is quick pull a "better" method for doing the holes as opposed to the hole tool or 3D subtract?

TurboCAD user since v3
 TurboCAD on flickr || My twitter ||

* February 02, 2012, 07:46:49 AM
It can be easier, in that you have an editable profile to work with, if adjustments are needed.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
RedSDK enabled

February 02, 2012, 07:51:50 AM
Thanks John. That makes sense

TurboCAD user since v3
 TurboCAD on flickr || My twitter ||