TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Remember to do a search before you ask a question!!!

Tire treads again
Read 2606 times
* January 30, 2012, 09:37:14 AM
Hi,

New user here with TC Pro 14.2 Mechanical.

I have been trying to follow the instructions to make a tire tread, as shown in this thread - http://forums.turbocad.com/index.php/topic,2980.0.html

I can't follow the instructions at all and wondered if anyone could simplify it or break the stages down a little?

Thanks very much

Pete

* January 30, 2012, 12:22:17 PM
I guess it's up to me to help out since I made the thread even if I can hardly remember.  :-)  Find the circumference of the tire via diameter and lay it out flat into a rectangle.   Choose a width.  Then make a thickness to it, maybe .100".  Now make polylines (mine are .100" wide) to intersect and criss-cross the rectangle and subtract them from the rectangle.  You now know your dimensions and you can make a cylinder and Radial Fit polylines to subtract.  After that you can add the rest of the thickness of the tire, from the bottom of the tread to the rim.

"If I make a layout of 18.8496" X 1.25", it is the same as the circumference of a 6" circle.  I can then make my .100" wide polylines (Rotate and Mirror) and choose how many Sets I want in the 18.8496" length of the circumference.  The width of the polylines make the gaps between the squares.  The more Sets I have the smaller the squares and visa versa.  The polylines are the constant and the squares are the variables."

I'll check up on your progress and make any necessary amendments.

John B.

John B.
TCv2019 Platinum
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
1 GB Hard Drive 16 GB RAM
AMD Radeon RX 580 Series

* January 30, 2012, 12:49:27 PM
I guess it's up to me to help out since I made the thread even if I can hardly remember.  :-)  Find the circumference of the tire via diameter and lay it out flat into a rectangle.   Choose a width.  Then make a thickness to it, maybe .100".  Now make polylines (mine are .100" wide) to intersect and criss-cross the rectangle and subtract them from the rectangle.  You now know your dimensions and you can make a cylinder and Radial Fit polylines to subtract.  After that you can add the rest of the thickness of the tire, from the bottom of the tread to the rim.

"If I make a layout of 18.8496" X 1.25", it is the same as the circumference of a 6" circle.  I can then make my .100" wide polylines (Rotate and Mirror) and choose how many Sets I want in the 18.8496" length of the circumference.  The width of the polylines make the gaps between the squares.  The more Sets I have the smaller the squares and visa versa.  The polylines are the constant and the squares are the variables."

I'll check up on your progress and make any necessary amendments.

John B.

Very clever John,
Thanks for sharing.

DonCW
2017 Pro with Light Works Plug in
2018 Platinum

Windows 10
There's so much to learn and not much time left to learn it.

* January 30, 2012, 01:54:21 PM
Pete
Some more miscellaneous related tire stuff.

http://forums.turbocad.com/index.php/topic,4420.0.html

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

* January 30, 2012, 02:28:59 PM
"Very clever John,
Thanks for sharing."

I just hope someone can understand this time.  I wasn't too clear before and even I couldn't understand.

John B.

John B.
TCv2019 Platinum
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
AMD Radeon RX 580 Series

* January 31, 2012, 02:10:27 AM
Thanks John, I have managed to get a tire tread drawn, but I don't think I followed your instructions right, or maybe I did?

I laid out the rectangle, made it into a shallow box and removed the lattice work to leave the treads. I did this using 3D boxes rather than polylines. Then I tried to bend the whole thing, which didn't work.

Then I looked at your original drawings and saw you had only selected one 'row' of treads to copy. This led to some huge rings created until I realised I had to set the tread on the edge of the cylinder, and count the number of sets needed from the layout. Then I kept changing the +Rot to '0', which I worked out was the wrong thing to do.

I have produced the attached, but at present each tread is a separate solid and I'm not sure how to make it once piece without individually adding them, so need to work out some more things.

Thanks again for your help.

Pete

* January 31, 2012, 08:02:09 AM
Pete,

When the rectangle is laid out is when you start with the polylines in order to find out how many you would need or want.  The thickness of the polyline will stay the same but how many times you copy it will determine the thickness of the tread.  Then you make a cylinder and start a polyline.  Don't try to make the rectangle round. Then rotate the polyline, mirror copy it and add the two together.  Now you can Copy/Fit Radial the polyline according to how many you want.  It makes it easier to find that out with the rectangle.  After the Radial Fit, subtract the polylines from the tire.

Good luck,

John B.

John B.
TCv2019 Platinum
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
AMD Radeon RX 580 Series

* January 31, 2012, 11:02:04 AM
Thanks very much again John - I understand now :)

I'm amazed my first attempt even worked, I was so far out.

Here is my new version using your method, with a couple of grooves all round, and V treads.

I just guessed the set number...it probably needed a couple more.

Pete
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 11:19:13 AM by mon »

* January 31, 2012, 11:35:27 AM
Looks good!  I like the design variation.  Now add the rest of the tire.

John B.

John B.
TCv2019 Platinum
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
AMD Radeon RX 580 Series