TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When posting a problem be sure to include which version you are using.  Give as much information as possible.  If the problem is with a specific file be sure to attache it to your post.

Coordinate systems
Read 1700 times
* January 24, 2012, 10:06:36 PM
I'm having some trouble understanding the relationship between WCS, the World Coordinate System, and UCS, the User Coordinate System.  Suppose I'm working in 2D and I want to set the origin of UCS at the point (10,10).  How would I do that?  And should the markings on the X and Y axes shift somehow?  I know there's a "set origin" operation, but that seems to affect only relative and polar coordinates.

* January 25, 2012, 12:08:03 AM
Perhaps a different approach might yeild more a precise result.What works for me when I need the UCS at specific location.The Edit Current Work Plane tool is my choice along with loading the required values in the X,Y position selections in the inspector bar.On page 362 of in the Help section offers some explanation regarding WCS,UCS.Also like to mention it would be a good idea to set the workplane in the Design Director as a added precaution in case you have to reference it later.By just clicking on it will reset the origin.

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

* January 25, 2012, 08:18:16 AM
If I'm only working in 2D, manipulating the workplane seems like an unnecessary complication.  I assume that the rulers are relative to UCS, not WCS (though of course they might be the same).  So relocating the origin of UCS seems like it ought to recalibrate the rulers so that (0.0) is at the selected origin, and I haven't found anything I can do that causes the rulers to be recalibrated in that manner.  What I often want to do is to have the (0,0) point on the rulers be at one corner of the area I'm working on.

It may be that I have some major conceptual misunderstanding here, but I can't figure out what it would be.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 10:30:05 AM by pwabrahams »

* January 25, 2012, 10:49:09 AM
agree the rule will be out from location.The other simpler step is to relocate the reference point of the object and position it to the UCS.

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

* January 25, 2012, 11:08:57 AM
I now realize that I didn't really articulate my questions too well, so I'm starting a new thread on rulers.