TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

Tracking from a reference point- Please Help!
Read 2091 times
* February 02, 2012, 11:46:35 AM
I am a bit rusty on drawing but spent years using Generic Cadd and then Visual Cadd.  I recently began using TC 17 Deluxe and am starting to get used to it.  However, I am having difficulty figuring out how to track from a specific location (ie, the end of a line, the center of a circle, the midpoint of a line, etc) a given distance (and perhaps changing the direction again) to select the starting point of my next action (line, circle, whatever).

For example, let's say I have an inside corner that I want to use as my reference and I want to place the center of a circle @ x= +5, y= -6.875 from that corner.   How do I do it?  The quick command in Visual (and Generic) Cadd was 'tk' (short for track); you selected the command you wanted to insert (line, circle, etc), typed 'tk', snapped to the point from which you wanted to reference- this put you in the 'tracking mode', moved the mouse in the first direction, input the distance, moved the mouse in the second direction (if you were tracking in more than one direction), input that dimension, hit the escape key and 'click' to place the starting point of the new entity.  The starting point of your new entity would now be exactly where you wanted it.

I assume that TurboCadd has a similar ability for 2D drawing, but I can't figure it out!  Can anyone help me with this?  Thank you!

Doug
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 11:53:23 AM by Micquemouze »

* February 02, 2012, 03:12:46 PM
It sounds like you want to do a "Relative" command. See the "Relative Coordinates" section in the Drawing Aids page in the Wiki.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

* February 02, 2012, 04:06:53 PM
John-

Thank you for the information.  I went to that site and read about the Relative Coordinate system and then played with it in TC.  Unless I am not using it correctly, that is not quite what I am looking for.  When I set to Relative Coordinates, I could create a new origin point for an object, but if I tried to put in dimensions relative to a point, it would use the new dimension as the end point and the new origin as the starting point.  What I want to be able to do is pick a point (a node for example), and somehow specify that point as a reference point, without selecting it as a starting point, and then specify the dimensions (x,y) that I want to move away from that point to be my starting point for the object that I want to enter.

I have found that you can move an object from it's current location to a desired location relative to it's current location by entering the appropriate delta X and delta Y dimensions.  This is the concept that I am trying to duplicate for an object that has not yet been created.

Am I making sense?  Will the Relative Coordinates do this and I am just not understanding how to use that feature?

Thanks again for your help!

Doug

* February 02, 2012, 04:45:27 PM
You can try this; after you've placed the endpoint for a line and you want to start the next line a specified XY distance or a specified distance&angle, "Shift+Tab" to the Coordinate Fields.
Enter your X & Y distance with the "@" sign before the value; X=@2 and Y=@1.625. Your next line will start 2 inches to the right and 1.625 inches up.
To specify a distance/angle use "@" and "<"; X=@2 and Y=<30. Your next line will start 2 inches and 30 degrees from the last point.

I hope this is what you're attempting.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

* February 03, 2012, 11:03:26 AM
John-  Thank you, I will give that a try.  I think that it will work in many cases.  Take care!

Doug