TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

Can I get some clarification?
Read 7630 times
* August 09, 2009, 08:26:38 PM
I've been away from this forum for a while (What's all tihs talk about a recession? I'm swamped with work!) and have a question about upgrades to TC Pro 16.0 Build 36.7.  I see that there's a 16.1 patch as well as a 16.1 Full Install Build 47.5.

A few weeks ago, went back to 15.2 and posted about some issues I had with 16.0/36.7.  Now, I'm wondering if either of these upgrades addresses those problems.  Do I need both, or will 16.1/47.5 cure all of the ills?

* August 10, 2009, 03:52:39 AM
Have you looked through the topics at the bottom of the Updates and Patches page? Rip had posted a list of some of the things fixed.

It would help if you could point to the topic describing your problem. My memory is a little hazy.  ;D

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1803), 64-bit

* August 10, 2009, 06:16:52 AM
Thanks, John.  I looked there, but didn't see anything that dealt with my issues ("poof" shutdowns when going from model space to paper space and loss of the City Blueprint font)

I think that I'll stick to 15.2 for now.

* August 10, 2009, 09:30:15 AM
Dave I wonder if it is possible to work with you regarding your TC16 issues.   Is it possible to have a more info and/or possibly a look the file(s) in that your experiencing the crashes with?   You can email directly if need be.   

* August 10, 2009, 09:09:38 PM
Dave-

Well, I certainly wouldn't object to some one on one assistance, but my time for the next several weeks is very limited.  Contrary to the rest of the country and state, I'm buried in work.  If you'll tell me what you need and how to get it to you, I'm game, though.

* August 11, 2009, 08:06:12 AM
busy = good.
My concern of course is TC16's stability.  If you are experiencing poofing then I need to be able to duplicate this in order to
direct the dev team to fix it.   Since I haven't heard or seen any other complaining about loosing TC when moving from model to paper specifically, then the next step is to compare apples to apples by looking at your drawing.  Perhaps there is something about the drawing that is causing this behavior.  As you can imagine there are many variables possible.

* August 11, 2009, 09:57:14 AM
busy = good.
My concern of course is TC16's stability.  If you are experiencing poofing then I need to be able to duplicate this in order to
direct the dev team to fix it.   Since I haven't heard or seen any other complaining about loosing TC when moving from model to paper specifically, then the next step is to compare apples to apples by looking at your drawing.  Perhaps there is something about the drawing that is causing this behavior.  As you can imagine there are many variables possible.

I have had this problem once. Luckily it was a saved model.

It was a very simple drawing -- the bottom shelf of a corner cabinet (upper corner 624 X 624 MM square with slices off two corners), and a round disk -- representing the bottom layer of a Lazy Susan -- just to check clearances.

Somehow I do not think it was the drawing.

It gave me a bit of a start when TC16 disappeared.

WillR
SW:TC 21 Pro Platinum, FM15, 20 Pro Platinum 64 Bit, also V 19.1 64Bit & 32 bit 17.2 and 18.1; Furniture Maker 14 and 10. HW: Vista 64 Ultimate, AMD 1090 (6 core) 8GB memory Plus also an AMD  8 core systemFX

* August 11, 2009, 10:54:58 AM
Thanks for your input WillR.
Again the key to fixing any issue is being able to duplicate it.

In your case you had the problem only once?  I assume you've opened that same drawing and many other and have not had the problem more that single occurrance, since?

* August 11, 2009, 01:24:29 PM
Dave -

Here (I hope) is one of the drawings that goes "poof" on me when I least appreciate it.  Hopefully, you can figure out my layering scheme.  Let me know if you need anything else.

[attachment deleted by admin]

* August 11, 2009, 01:50:22 PM
Thanks Dave. Nice Drawing by the way.
Layers makes sense.
I've gone back and forth between paper and model space serveral make some changes to the viewports and added geometry to the model...so far stable in 16.1...will keep testing.

* August 11, 2009, 02:10:49 PM
Thanks for your input WillR.
Again the key to fixing any issue is being able to duplicate it.

In your case you had the problem only once?  I assume you've opened that same drawing and many other and have not had the problem more that single occurrance, since?

I try to be precise with my language. :)

One occurrence -- have tried to duplicate it again. No luck. (There was a previous one before the upgrade to 47.5 - not sure that's relevant.)

As I recall there was a short sequence of operations -- then poof! I did not attach any importance to remembering or documenting the sequence at the time -- silly me. I just wanted a printout of the drawing to attach to the cutlist --as it is the only unusual piece in the lot of 100 pieces.

WillR
SW:TC 21 Pro Platinum, FM15, 20 Pro Platinum 64 Bit, also V 19.1 64Bit & 32 bit 17.2 and 18.1; Furniture Maker 14 and 10. HW: Vista 64 Ultimate, AMD 1090 (6 core) 8GB memory Plus also an AMD  8 core systemFX

* August 11, 2009, 03:03:19 PM
So did the crash occur at the time of printing?

* August 11, 2009, 04:07:58 PM
Dave -

I seem to remember (hey, I'm old, ok!?) thinking that the "poofs" usually occured after doing something in model space and going to one of the paper space drawings without going to Select.  Not always, but often.  I know that my paranoia developed to the point where  I automatically Saved my work before I tried to look at it as a drawing. - lol

BTW, thanks for the nice words.  What you see is entirely self taught - mostly by "What does this do?"

* August 11, 2009, 09:28:26 PM
So did the crash occur at the time of printing?

As reported by Dave45. Switching between model space and paper space only. That's all I can offer. Once with this version.

All I can do is confirm the existence of the problem. I can give no further usefull information. Maybe if it repeats...

WillR

* August 12, 2009, 06:34:19 AM
Dave-

Last night, I brought up the kitchen drawing and flipped between Model and Paper space without any "poofing". 

This morning, I dug up my original post (in Problems), and saw that rendering also seemed to cause the "poofing".  Suggested fixes included downloading a new driver (which I haven't done yet), and dialing back my accelerator card.  I dialed the card back two clicks, loaded the kitchen drawing, and clicked Quality Render.  After a few seconds, I got a message about TC encountering problems and needing to shut down.  When I clicked No (send a report to Microsoft?), it poofed.

Probably a separate issue, but it sometimes takes TC a long time to load.  I'm guessing it was at least two minutes for the kitchen drawing this morning.

* August 12, 2009, 09:38:23 AM
What are your system specs?

I know performance and stability are related.   For instance some customers who can't open larger DWG files on their systems will send to us and we can open the file.
Many times the user doesn't wait long enough for the drawing to open or they have run out of system resources.

* August 12, 2009, 07:33:22 PM
Dave -

Pentium 4, 2.4 GHz, 512 MB RAM

* August 12, 2009, 11:45:30 PM
Dave -

Pentium 4, 2.4 GHz, 512 MB RAM
I suggest bumping your RAM to 2GB, or thereabouts.  It would give an amazing performance boost; 512MB is nowhere near enough.

Gary Wooding
Win10 64-bit,
TC21.2 x64 Plat, Bld59
TC16.2 Plat, Bld54.0
TCC 3.5

* August 13, 2009, 06:37:22 AM
Gary -

When I posted those specs, I thought that 512 MB was probably too thin.  Amping it up is on my chores list. - lol

* August 14, 2009, 12:19:24 AM
When I posted those specs, I thought that 512 MB was probably too thin.  Amping it up is on my chores list. - lol
Hi Dave,
I'd recommend upping the priority. RAM is cheap nowadays, its easy to install, and 0.5GB to 2GB will transform your m/c's performance.

Gary Wooding
Win10 64-bit,
TC21.2 x64 Plat, Bld59
TC16.2 Plat, Bld54.0
TCC 3.5

* August 15, 2009, 01:41:48 PM
Well, I just kicked this beast up to 2GB, and things happen faster - including the "poofs".

I tried Draft and Quality rendering.  Both times, I got a message about resetting  defaults for light sources. I clicked Yes, the drawing went blank for a few seconds, then I got the message about TC having a problem and having to shut down.  When I clicked Don't Send (a notice to Microsoft), it went "POOF" and I was looking at my Desktop.

Anyone have any more ideas?

8/17 Update:

This morning, I backed my graphics accelerator setting down to mid-range and was finally able to get renderings of my drawings.  Then, I went to the ATI/AMD website and downloaded an updated driver for my Radeon 9000 graphics card.  With the new driver, I'm now getting renderings with the accelerator setting at full throttle.

Anyone else having similar problems might give this a try.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 07:06:32 AM by Dave45 »