TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

Invitation to Render
Read 8308 times
* October 23, 2011, 07:45:56 AM
I did the attached Hidden Line Render 2 years ago. I've also attached the .tcw file and I'm inviting anyone interested to do a completed render.
There are so many unique styles of lighting and materials uses I thought it would intersting to compare the variations of the same subject.

DonCW
2017 Pro with Light Works Plug in
2018 Platinum

Windows 10
There's so much to learn and not much time left to learn it.

October 23, 2011, 02:14:18 PM
Thanks for sharing your file Don, it sounds like fun, I'll get onto "my" version right away...

Gaz

The CAD man
Garry Wilson
Crips-CAD Creations
TC version 20 Pro Platinum + Animation Lab

* October 23, 2011, 03:26:07 PM
Yup Don thanks for sharing great model

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

October 23, 2011, 03:57:51 PM
Thanks Don for your file. I never tried to do any rendering before and your file has pushed me over the edge. I'm going to see what I can do with you file and what I can learn about reandering.

Engineering 30 plus years

October 23, 2011, 06:01:27 PM
Don,

Here's my attempt...it's on a photographic background that my boss shot of a local park bench, with a "quality / Lightworks / Ray trace - full" render setting using only a single spot light from the front.

Gaz

The CAD man
Garry Wilson
Crips-CAD Creations

October 23, 2011, 06:09:59 PM
Don,

Here's my attempt...it's on a photographic background that my boss shot of a local park bench, with a "quality / Lightworks / Ray trace - full" render setting using only a single spot light from the front.

Gaz

This is really quite amazing Garry! I am totally impressed.

* October 23, 2011, 07:32:39 PM
Don,

Gaz

Thanks Garry, it's a great render.

DonCW
2018 Platinum

Windows 10

October 23, 2011, 11:54:25 PM
Had a second attempt,

this one uses two renders; Advanced -> Sketch -> Colour Contour, and Advanced -> Sketch -> Cartoon, overlaying the two layers in Photoshop.

Gaz

The CAD man
Garry Wilson
Crips-CAD Creations

* October 24, 2011, 05:40:31 AM
Really nice model Don!! Here is my attempt with it in Thea. Great render Cadman

* October 24, 2011, 06:20:16 AM
Excellent renders Garry, the lighting thread using the same model is a great topic , with some good learning curves.

Steve this render is absolutely stunning, the clarity of the holes on the screwdriver attachment alone. I tried Thea the once, but did not have time to find my way around.

Just out of curiosity, is it possible to put what system, and what render time for the renders above.

* October 24, 2011, 10:28:20 AM

Steve this render is absolutely stunning, the clarity of the holes on the screwdriver attachment alone. I tried Thea the once, but did not have time to find my way around.

Just out of curiosity, is it possible to put what system, and what render time for the renders above.

Thanks Micheal,

Render time was around thirty min., I believe. I have attached the specs.

[/quote]

* October 24, 2011, 03:25:09 PM
Nice renders, all of them.
Gerry, I like your first attempt best. Looks most realistic. I have a small problem with all of them though. The key ring & chain look disproportionately small for the rest of the knife and seem to be hanging out in space. I would like see a shadow under it tying to the ground.

T

T

October 24, 2011, 05:13:51 PM
Nice rendering jobs. I like the background of the first render the best. It adds the message saying buy be if your into the outdoors. Myself I keep getting stuck trying to render the screwdriver, scissors and the pliers jaws. But I am getting better at getting TC to crash. The crashing while rendering has got me to the point where I think its best if I stick to what I already know.

* October 24, 2011, 05:59:44 PM
Thanks to you, I'm glad to see this thread has sparked a lot of interest in creating original views of the same subject. Hopefully it will carry on.

DonCW
2018 Platinum

Windows 10

* October 24, 2011, 06:29:41 PM
Nice renders, all of them.
Gerry, I like your first attempt best. Looks most realistic. I have a small problem with all of them though. The key ring & chain look disproportionately small for the rest of the knife and seem to be hanging out in space. I would like see a shadow under it tying to the ground.

T

Tim,

Thanks for your comments, the whole assembly was handed out by DeWalt as a promotion and I agree the rings and chains appear small, but everthing was drawn in proportion.
 The idea of attaching the .tcw file was to allow each user to create a unique spin on the same subject. Change the ring and chain size, change whatever suits your perspective tying the chain to the ground and PLEASE post your finished render.

Users sharing ideas with users is the intent here.

DonCW
2018 Platinum

Windows 10

* October 24, 2011, 08:51:20 PM
Don,

I just might try my hand @ it! I will be sure to post it when I do.

T

* October 24, 2011, 09:10:39 PM
Don,

I just might try my hand @ it! I will be sure to post it when I do.

Good for you. Looking forward to seeing your post.

DonCW
2018 Platinum

Windows 10

October 24, 2011, 09:24:57 PM
There are some really nice posts so far Don. I hope this thread will keep going.

BradE [ dean3Design ]
Core i7-3930K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 32GB 1333 DDR3, FirePro V5900
TC 21 Platinum (64-Bit) Running on Win7 Pro SP1

* October 24, 2011, 09:43:27 PM
There are some really nice posts so far Don. I hope this thread will keep going.

I hope so.  Uh... maybe do you want to add your spin on this to keep the thread going.

DonCW
2018 Platinum

Windows 10

October 24, 2011, 09:47:43 PM
Nice rendering jobs. I like the background of the first render the best. It adds the message saying buy be if your into the outdoors. Myself I keep getting stuck trying to render the screwdriver, scissors and the pliers jaws. But I am getting better at getting TC to crash. The crashing while rendering has got me to the point where I think its best if I stick to what I already know.

Those parts; plier jaws, scissors and screwdriver are saved as 'blocks' and cannot have materials added to them unless first you explode them back to 'parts'.

Each of my renders took around 30 seconds to complete as I was only using the TCAD's internal 'Full' rendering settings.

Hammer...outstanding!  I love the metalic finish on the blade!

Gaz
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 09:49:16 PM by The CAD man »

The CAD man
Garry Wilson
Crips-CAD Creations

* October 25, 2011, 09:47:09 AM

Those parts; plier jaws, scissors and screwdriver are saved as 'blocks' and cannot have materials added to them unless first you explode them back to 'parts'.

You could also use 'Block Edit'.

DonCW
2018 Platinum

Windows 10

October 25, 2011, 03:01:31 PM
You could also use 'Block Edit'.

Okay, there you go, I just learnt something new!

The CAD man
Garry Wilson
Crips-CAD Creations

October 25, 2011, 07:05:14 PM
My first ever render. I know I have alot to learn. Thanks Gaz for telling me I need to explode the blocks before I could render them.

* October 25, 2011, 09:02:06 PM
My first ever render. I know I have alot to learn. Thanks Gaz for telling me I need to explode the blocks before I could render them.

That's a pretty impressive start!

Henry H

October 25, 2011, 10:41:31 PM
My first ever render...

Great job gletha...a wooden-handled utility tool...cool!

Gaz

The CAD man
Garry Wilson
Crips-CAD Creations

October 26, 2011, 10:45:39 AM

I hope so.  Uh... maybe do you want to add your spin on this to keep the thread going.

I would love to give it a try Don. I'll see if I can squeeze it into the schedule.

BradE [ dean3Design ]

* October 26, 2011, 07:53:56 PM

I would love to give it a try Don. I'll see if I can squeeze it into the schedule.

Looking forward to seeing it...

DonCW
2018 Platinum

Windows 10

November 11, 2011, 12:00:52 PM
I'd love to see some more of these too - Makes for fun stuff to share with our Facebook users as well! :)

November 12, 2011, 09:34:50 AM
I had a little time last night to give your model a try Don. The lighting is all IBL using a cubical map and "Environment" luminance. I started out with the map I used for kmartin's shaft and gear model and tweaked it as necessary for this model. Thanks for offering up your model Don!

BradE [ dean3Design ]

November 12, 2011, 09:55:34 AM
Nicely done Brad. I really like the subtle metal texture.

TurboCAD user since v3
 TurboCAD on flickr || My twitter ||

* November 12, 2011, 09:58:17 AM
I had a little time last night to give your model a try Don. The lighting is all IBL using a cubical map and "Environment" luminance. I started out with the map I used for kmartin's shaft and gear model and tweaked it as necessary for this model. Thanks for offering up your model Don!

And thanks to you for taking the time to put your spin on it....it's great.!!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 03:45:35 PM by Don W, »

DonCW
2018 Platinum

Windows 10

November 12, 2011, 01:51:50 PM
Very nice Brad.

The CAD man
Garry Wilson
Crips-CAD Creations

November 12, 2011, 08:11:42 PM
It is interesting to see the different styles of users emerge in these renders. Great job everyone!