TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

<45 Min Feasibilty Study
Read 3609 times
* August 31, 2011, 05:19:55 PM
It has been a while since I tested TFPlan to TCAD. I am surprised by the speed at which I can assign textures.

This makes import of 3D models to TCAD for rendering even more inviting.

Select by Color or by facet to assign textures.

Simple final rendering also attached. Needs a lot of work yet but feasible.

I'm pleased.

Jack
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 05:22:33 PM by Jack Zimmer »

* September 01, 2011, 07:16:25 AM
Framing as dxf, dwg or 3DS imports to TCAD nicely too. All I did with it is selected all and set the material to light biege with an orange tint to lighting.
When exploded, I can adjust individual members, rafters , studs.

Z

* September 01, 2011, 08:10:32 AM
This TFPlan import was done in Deluxe v18.

Section of exploded framing plan worked just great!

(zip v18 file attached, have a look )

Z
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 08:15:47 AM by Jack Zimmer »

September 01, 2011, 08:19:46 AM
This TFPlan import was done in Deluxe v18.

Section of exploded framing plan worked just great!

Z

Hello Jack,

Could you show a couple of screen shots with some of this framing in hidden line mode? I'd like to see how clean it looks. It has always been my experience that anything that had to be translated to dwg or dxf to bring into TC had all manner of extra lines that made HL render unappealing. I was wondering if it is still the same?

Also, do you find the framing accurate? Are the window and door openings automatically calculated to be rough openings? Are all the proper timbers there (i.e. jack studs, cripple studs, etc.)?

* September 01, 2011, 08:30:13 AM
Hi Don.

Here is hidden line. Not bad IMO.

I will gather some info and respond to your question about framing details in next posting.

thanks,

Jack

* September 01, 2011, 09:24:29 AM
Hi Don.

TFPlan has a number of options you can define which in turn generates the framing layout. Basic Stud/ Cripples/ Jack/ Headers and Rafters are in  options that you select. You can define Stud / Rafter size and spacing. Auto Cripple/ Jack/(King)/ Dbl top plate and 3 stud corners cannot be customized in these settings. But when exploded in TCAD you can adjust items like Headers if you wish.

You can also generate specific Members from predesign profiles and insert them. For instance, create an I Beam in the right Catalog, for placement in drawing.

Attached are screen shots of some of the settings for framing. (see FRAMING 1. JPG) You select a wall type (4" / 6" etc or create a new one), then if a framed wall , select member size / spacing and a ton of other options. (see FRAMING 2.JPG)

In Building Locations you can select the spacing and a few other settings (see FRAMING 3 JPG)

One thing you will notice in the posted images is that the floor joist are not falling beneath the outside wall plate. This is because of the auto insert floor option that can you can adjust to display framing  properly.

My opinion on all this 3D Framing stuff.... hire a good carpenter.

Jack

September 02, 2011, 03:20:27 PM
Hi Don.

TFPlan has a number of options you can define which in turn generates the framing layout. Basic Stud/ Cripples/ Jack/ Headers and Rafters are in  options that you select. You can define Stud / Rafter size and spacing. Auto Cripple/ Jack/(King)/ Dbl top plate and 3 stud corners cannot be customized in these settings. But when exploded in TCAD you can adjust items like Headers if you wish.

You can also generate specific Members from predesign profiles and insert them. For instance, create an I Beam in the right Catalog, for placement in drawing.

Attached are screen shots of some of the settings for framing. (see FRAMING 1. JPG) You select a wall type (4" / 6" etc or create a new one), then if a framed wall , select member size / spacing and a ton of other options. (see FRAMING 2.JPG)

In Building Locations you can select the spacing and a few other settings (see FRAMING 3 JPG)

One thing you will notice in the posted images is that the floor joist are not falling beneath the outside wall plate. This is because of the auto insert floor option that can you can adjust to display framing  properly.

My opinion on all this 3D Framing stuff.... hire a good carpenter.

Jack

Thanks Jack - looks very good.

* September 03, 2011, 06:23:47 PM
Hi Don,

Glad what I posted was of some help.
I do use the full blown Envisioneer version by Cadsoft (who makes TFPlan and HGTV Home Design). In the full version you have a number of additional settings. But even the 'inexpensive' TFPlan does good framing, in addition to giving pretty good material takeoffs.

Attached are some of my previous 'imports' of Floorplan models to TCAD for enhancements and rendering.

Final Front is from a 'job'
Winter Final is from the cover of the Floorplan Book I help 'write' with Kevin Doucette ...............EDIT actually done in Floorplan (sorry)
All is Bright is from my annual Christmas card 'movie'..
Office 1 is from a job

Jack
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 06:52:44 PM by Jack Zimmer »

September 03, 2011, 07:24:49 PM
Thanks Jack, this is interesting stuff. I like those framing exports.

BradE [ dean3Design ]
Core i7-3930K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 32GB 1333 DDR3, FirePro V5900
TC 21 Platinum (64-Bit) Running on Win7 Pro SP1

September 03, 2011, 11:36:01 PM
very nice work loved the framing of the house

* September 07, 2011, 06:07:34 PM
Thanks Brad , Shai.

I played a bit with Sun and Sky options in TCAD with the original model. While higher quality is a goal, I always must consider time, as billing hours become a factor. I do like the darker shadows that Sun provides and it is a fast , easy option to both setup and render.

It gets hard to compare programs because 'user error' is always a factor, but I've attached the Sun , Sky and a TurboFloorplan rendering. I think it becomes obvious why TFPlan is a good choice when doing the basic renderings to show the customer options. It does a good job and settings are very simple.

I alway post edit TFPlan renders in IrfanView with a slight Gama reduction, slight Contrast increase to darken shadowing.

Jack

* September 25, 2011, 04:58:56 AM
Great tread Jack, very nice renderings.
I am still busy testing Sketch Up, TurboFloorplan and TurboCad.
For me, a nice addition to TurboFloorplan would be an "Industrial" Floorplan.