TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

All posts discussing pricing or where to buy TurboCAD will be deleted.

Quick simple cider press
Read 3026 times
August 28, 2011, 09:22:47 AM
Not submitted for render, just as a design idea as I haven't the time to get serious about rendering. I've picked some crab apples and intend to make this press tomorrow for some quick juice extraction by utilising some of the weight of my car.

Update: I made the press and had to reduce the size to enable the car to excert greater pressure, so reduced it to take 300mm square pressure board. Even then, the crab apples I was using are too tough to get significant quantities of juice from. Only managed 0.4Litres of juice from a couple of buckets of crabapples, but started a demijohn of wine with it anyway.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 05:10:57 PM by Alan C »

Alan.
Platinum 21. & Deluxe 21.
TC user since 1995. (version 3)

* August 30, 2011, 10:27:29 AM
That's great!

What are the nylon tubes for? To prevent juice from soaking into the wood?

Henry H

September 02, 2011, 02:35:52 AM
That's great!

What are the nylon tubes for? To prevent juice from soaking into the wood?

Henry H

Partly Henry, but more to cause dripping into the tray directly rather than capilary action causing liquid to run to the sides.

I had to modify the design, to increase pounds per square inch, here is the update attached. Crab apples are too hard really, but would be good for softer fruit like ripe apples and pears. Regards, Al.

Alan.

September 02, 2011, 10:40:51 AM
I love it Alan. How's the cider?

BradE [ dean3Design ]
Core i7-3930K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 32GB 1333 DDR3, FirePro V5900
TC 21 Platinum (64-Bit) Running on Win7 Pro SP1

September 07, 2011, 11:22:49 PM
Hi Brad, I'm making crab apple wine. The yeast bubbled through the first half kilo of sugar in just 2 days but the second is still going, will probably give it first racking at the weekend. I've been thinking about your HDR render package, you have done such a good job. My work requires very fast renders, preferably under a minute. I normally use just about 3 point lights and an ambient, and not generally very good quality, but time is of essence. Do you think your HDR package would be suitable for me?

Alan.

September 10, 2011, 11:59:07 AM
RE: My work requires very fast renders, preferably under a minute. I normally use just about 3 point lights and an ambient, and not generally very good quality, but time is of essence. Do you think your HDR package would be suitable for me?

Alan, if you're looking for fast render times I wouldn't recommend full Image Based Lighting (IBL). To get the most out of IBL you generally need to take a fairly high(ish) number of samples from the environment to provide smooth lighting and soft shadows. There are some good ways to take advantage of hdr environments while keeping render times reasonable though. You can setup an environment for the sole purpose of generating believable reflections in reflective and refractive surfaces and provide the lighting by another means. You can use standard lights or luminance to keep your render times down.

Softbox has an option to export a non-IBL luminance for each cubical map you create. It’ll use Distant luminance to approximate the position and tone of the lights in the cubical map. When that luminance is assigned to your “Render Scene Luminance” those Distant luminance will light your scene rather than a typical Environment luminance that generates IBL.

With that in mind, if your projects can benefit from the reflections that Softbox can provide you may find it to be useful. Have you tried the free version yet Alan?

BradE [ dean3Design ]
Core i7-3930K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 32GB 1333 DDR3, FirePro V5900
TC 21 Platinum (64-Bit) Running on Win7 Pro SP1

September 10, 2011, 03:42:15 PM
Hi Brad. Thanks for being honest. I have not tried the free version, no. It's a matter of time, I simply can't seem to find enough of it what with kids and work and keeping up with a few other interests. With regard to designing I just want to get a good functional job done as quickly as possible these days, hence my frustration in the lack of a good inexpensive furniture designing package, but who knows the latest furniture maker might tick a few more boxes. Best wishes, Alan.

Alan.