TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

Combining drawings from several files into one etc
Read 2612 times
* July 25, 2011, 10:17:00 PM
I have drawings in 5 differant files and want to combine them into one.  This brings up several questions I am hoping someone can help me with.

I had expected that there would be a prompt asking where the drawing was to be placed when one requests an import.  There does not appear to be a way to manage this placement during the import process.  When I attempted an import anyway the drawings overlapped.   What is the best way to handle this situation? 

One of the drawings I want to import is the plat plan which covers a much larger area than the other drawings.  Is there a way to change the scale on one section of the model space or should one leave the plat plan in another file and access it from paper space?

Finally, what techniques are used to divide the model space into areas for the various drawings?  I see drawings done by others where each drawing seems to be in its own cell on a grid.  I have not found any info about system tools or recommendations of how to manage the model space.

Thanks in advance,

Joe

* July 26, 2011, 02:03:57 AM
This is way I'd do it.
Start a new drawing to be the consolidation of the individual ones and define individual layers for them.
Open one of the drawings, select the section (maybe all) of interest and copy it to the clipboard (Ctl C). Switch back to the new drawing, choose Edit|Paste special, then move the newly inserted section to the required layer.
Lock that layer, switch back to layer0 and then repeat for each of the required drawings.
When everything is in your new drawing, unlock each layer in turn and move it's contents to an appropriate place to achieve the required spacing. Format|Align can help with this.
Scaling is best done in paper space - leave model space at actual size.

Gary Wooding
Win10 64-bit,
TC21.2 x64 Plat, Bld59
TC16.2 Plat, Bld54.0
TCC 3.5

* July 26, 2011, 07:49:01 AM
I should have been more specific about sizes.  The Plat plan is an area 321 feet by 678 feet while the size of the addition I am drawing is approximately 30 feet by 50 feet.   Thus the larger is approximately 145 times the size of the smaller one.  I guess I can simply use a large block for the Plat and a series of smaller ones for everything else.

Is it really as simple as a copy and paste to move things around?  Can one safely ignore the world space coordinates where an item is placed?  Do named workplanes, layers, styles and block definitions etc automatically come along? When would one use an import rather than a copy and paste?

Thanks,

Joe

* July 29, 2011, 02:00:40 AM
Yes, it really is that simple, and you can just ignore the world space units. The entities come in on their original layers, but views are lost. I'm sorry, but I don't know about styles and blocks - a little experimentation is required.
Importing brings in an entire drawing and appears to overwrite what you already have, but  I haven't actually tried it.

Gary Wooding
Win10 64-bit,
TC21.2 x64 Plat, Bld59
TC16.2 Plat, Bld54.0
TCC 3.5

* July 29, 2011, 09:30:46 AM
Yes, it really is that simple, and you can just ignore the world space units. The entities come in on their original layers, but views are lost. I'm sorry, but I don't know about styles and blocks - a little experimentation is required.
Importing brings in an entire drawing and appears to overwrite what you already have, but  I haven't actually tried it.

The contents of an imported drawing is simply added to what's already there. Doesn't overwrite anything. Don't forget that the Lights and Luminances of the imported drawing come along, too, and may have to be deleted in order to get a correctly illuminated rendering. I often create a special version of a drawing intended to be imported into an assembly, deleting the lights along with any unneeded layers before saving this version.

Henry H

* July 29, 2011, 10:05:16 AM
Thanks guys for the good input!

I sure wasted enough time worrying about managing where to locate the incoming files as I always like to start drawings at X=0, Y=0.  I'll need to experiment with importing a drawing that starts at the same place as the existing drawing.  You say that nothing will be overwritten.  I'm guessing that the drawings will overlap.  Perhaps the incoming drawing will be selected and it is just a matter of dragging it to a clear area.

Joe

* July 29, 2011, 11:31:31 AM
Thanks guys for the good input!

I sure wasted enough time worrying about managing where to locate the incoming files as I always like to start drawings at X=0, Y=0.  I'll need to experiment with importing a drawing that starts at the same place as the existing drawing.  You say that nothing will be overwritten.  I'm guessing that the drawings will overlap.  Perhaps the incoming drawing will be selected and it is just a matter of dragging it to a clear area.

Joe

Yup, that's what happens. And if the incoming drawing contains more than one object, you can handle those objects individually.

Henry H

* July 29, 2011, 12:08:03 PM
Blocks in your new drawing can be overwritten with blocks from the "copied from" drawing if they have the same name. If you happened to turn of the warning dialog at some point, this could can occur without your knowing... just something you might want to be aware of.

AMD Phenom 1090T
8GB RAM
Radeon 5450 1GB
Windows 7
Redsdk  - Off
Editing History - On
v19.2 Platinum, x64