TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

"Save As" to past versions?
Read 1345 times
* April 29, 2011, 11:25:32 AM
I am running up against a wall in V18 where I need to do a presentation that has viewports and I'm getting UE's when I try to use floating model space.

I had assumed that in case of problems I could always save my file in a previous format, compatible with V15, which I still have installed. It won't be the first time. Many of us had to revert to previous versions when new TCAD versions came out and didn't work. Today I felt I had to do this again in order to do the presentation. I was surprised when I found only a current choice for TCW and TCW V17. I tried to open the file with V15, not really expecting it to work, and sure enough it didn't. I looked for a file export option, but didn't find one. I found a tool to convert files, but it had only the same choices.

Where do I find the utility or tool to save the V18 file back to some version that V15 can read?

* April 29, 2011, 11:46:09 AM
Most people use the DWG format to send a drawing back to a much earlier version of TurboCAD. When saving to DWG, click on the "Setup" button and choose AutoCAD 2007 or earlier. V15 should be able to read AC2007 okay.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

* May 03, 2011, 11:44:05 AM
Thanks, John.

What will happen with TCAD 3D architectural objects, like walls, roofs, etc.? My guess is that I'll have a bunch of regular 3D objects which won't give me the correct hidden line views of the building elevations.

Still, it looks like I can draw 2D plans/sections all the way back to AutoCAD 2000 and I should be able to finish my plans in AutoCAD 2000 if all else fails (although that may be problematic too. ACAD 2000 is so old I have to run it under Win7 in XP virtual mode).

* May 03, 2011, 01:52:30 PM
I think the architectural objects should transfer OK, but that's just a guess. You'll have to experiment.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

* May 03, 2011, 04:16:35 PM
AutoCAD does not support walls. Our walls are AutoCAD Architeture (ACA) defined, so will most likely get converted to "proxy objects".
New versions of ACAD have a enabler that can be used for better conversion, however I'm not sure how thorough round tripping and editing will be.