TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

Setting angle between two lines?
Read 12300 times
* April 20, 2011, 11:24:09 AM
I'm sure this is simple, but can't rattle it out of my memory.

If I want to draw a second line from the point of another line at a particular angle, how do I specify that relative angle? I can't tab into the angle field, because that gives me the world angle. I'm assuming there must be some easy way to specify the relative angle between lines, since that is how you will often be taking measurments.

Thanks,
Mark

TCW Pro 14.2
TC Deluxe 16.2 Build 53.2

* April 20, 2011, 12:45:40 PM
I'm sure this is simple, but can't rattle it out of my memory.

If I want to draw a second line from the point of another line at a particular angle, how do I specify that relative angle? I can't tab into the angle field, because that gives me the world angle. I'm assuming there must be some easy way to specify the relative angle between lines, since that is how you will often be taking measurments.

Thanks,
Mark

One way: In 3D Select Mode, create a new "Workplane by 3 Points," using the two endpoints of the existing line plus a third point almost anywhere in the same plane. The new X axis will coincide with the existing line and angles will be reported with respect to it -- so go ahead and TAB into the Angle field.

Henry H

* April 20, 2011, 01:09:23 PM
Thanks Henry.

That's simpler than the convoluted methods I was envisioning. It only took a minute to snap in my missing lines.

But what would someone with Designer, and no 3D ability, have to do? I'm just a little surprised there isn't a standard technique for specifying lines this way. If you're measuring around the outside of an object, or a laying out a trail line, measuring angles line by line is the most obvious way to do it.

Thanks !
Mark

TCW Pro 14.2

* April 21, 2011, 05:59:44 AM
I dont know if this is the right way but I do a rotate copy from the end point.

Nikki
TC20 platinum
TC 2015 platinum
TC 2017 with lightworks

* April 21, 2011, 01:31:43 PM

If it works, it's right ;-)

Henry H

* April 22, 2011, 02:53:34 AM

It's what I do.  ;D

AMD Phenom 1090T
8GB RAM
Radeon 5450 1GB
Windows 7
Redsdk  - Off
Editing History - On
v19.2 Platinum, x64

* April 22, 2011, 06:49:20 AM
Radial array with one copy and the number of degrees is just as fast.

* April 22, 2011, 07:16:47 AM
"If I want to draw a second line from the point of another line at a particular angle, how do I specify that relative angle?"

Hi, aside from all the great ideas. Are you familiar drawing with coordinate input? I f you wish to draw with coordinate input the seke's "A" "R" "P" "L" are your best friend.  Example: If you wish to draw a start point of a line  at a specific distance and angle from an existing line just position the origin from which the new angle and distance will be measured from. Activate the line tool  Hit "P"  then "shift+Tab then type in the distance then Hit "Tab” type in the angle hit "enter. This will be the "start" point of the new line. This is similar to Acad’s shift from” snap. Ex: @2<45.

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > 2019-2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21,20,19 and 18.Using LightWorks, Anilab lab 5.  HP all in one  23" Touch smart screen with Nvidia Geforce 210, open gl 3.3. Intel Core i5 ,2.27GHz,4 GB ram.

* April 22, 2011, 09:21:26 AM

It's what I do.  ;D
That's great. But you still have to resize the line afterwards. Just seems like they're ought to be a way to specify a line relative to an existing line in one step.

Thanks,
Mark

TCW Pro 14.2

* April 22, 2011, 09:25:16 AM
"If I want to draw a second line from the point of another line at a particular angle, how do I specify that relative angle?"

Hi, aside from all the great ideas. Are you familiar drawing with coordinate input? I f you wish to draw with coordinate input the seke's "A" "R" "P" "L" are your best friend.  Example: If you wish to draw a start point of a line  at a specific distance and angle from an existing line just position the origin from which the new angle and distance will be measured from. Activate the line tool  Hit "P"  then "shift+Tab then type in the distance then Hit "Tab” type in the angle hit "enter. This will be the "start" point of the new line. This is similar to Acad’s shift from” snap. Ex: @2<45.

Unless I'm missing something, the angle you have to punch in is in terms of the world grid -- not relative to the last line. I suppose you could use F2 and work out what  the relative angle is ... a little messy.

Thanks,
Mark

TCW Pro 14.2

* April 24, 2011, 10:35:26 PM
Another way is to change the base angle of the drawing to the angle of the first line.  Options\Drawing Setup\Angle - base angle.   Then any line you draw will be relative to the new base. 

* April 25, 2011, 05:09:36 AM
Check "make copy" and "D" relocate the reference to the rotation centre.  Pick up the x handle and enter the angle you want in the inspector bar, which is relative, hit enter, enter the line length you want in the selection info metrics box or alternatively check "keep aspect ratio" if you want to drag the length to snap it (there are differences in the way some snaps work under that option).  
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 06:26:05 AM by murray dickinson »