TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

All posts discussing pricing or where to buy TurboCAD will be deleted.

Locking Viewports in Paper space
Read 3946 times
* July 05, 2009, 01:15:52 AM
How can I lock an inserted Viewport in Paper space rather than have it change when the part in Model space is altered? 
At present, I create a View in Model space, change to Paper space and insert the Viewport.  However, If I return to Model space and modify the part in any way, that change will be reflected in the Paper space image, even if the change were only a rotation around an axis.   
I can understand the convenience of this feature, but I want the original image in paper space to remain unaltered. 

I want to lock the image I have inserted because I want to show different features/aspects of the part by removal of sections and different iso views instead of producing the standard five view drawing. 
Bevin   

* July 05, 2009, 01:30:53 AM
How can I lock an inserted Viewport in Paper space rather than have it change when the part in Model space is altered? 

I want to lock the image I have inserted because I want to show different features/aspects of the part by removal of sections and different iso views instead of producing the standard five view drawing. 
Bevin   
I don't think its possible in the way you are suggesting, but there is another (better?) way: use layers.
Define the different features/aspects you want on individual layers, then use the Viewport properties in Paper space to display only the layers that contain the features/aspects you want.
You can also define lots of different Paper spaces, and give them more meaningful names than Paper 1, Paper 2, etc.
Just right click on a paper space name (the standard default is Paper 1) and select Rename to change its name, or Insert to create another paper space, which you can also rename.

Gary Wooding
Win10 64-bit,
TC21.2 x64 Plat, Bld59
TC16.2 Plat, Bld54.0
TCC 3.5

* July 05, 2009, 08:59:15 AM
re: locking a view

If you're working with 3D parts, you can set your Viewport to a render mode (HL, Draft or Quality), then Explode the Viewport. Now your VP is basically locked in stone. If you have "Nonrenderable objects" active (so the 2D lines show), you won't be able to explode. Downside: doesn't work with 2D and the exploded VP can't be restored; it has to be rebuilt.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

* July 16, 2009, 01:03:54 AM
John R.
Sorry to have been slow in answering... been  busy with other things.
I followed your instructions and it worked.  Thanks very much. 

I don't undertand the significance of being unable to restore the Viewport.  To "rebuild" it is simply a matter of creating the same view in Model space isn't it?

Bevin

* July 16, 2009, 07:10:50 AM
I don't understand the significance of being unable to restore the Viewport.  To "rebuild" it is simply a matter of creating the same view in Model space isn't it?

Bevin

Actually simpler, you just need to insert a new VP and choose the Named View you used for the exploded VP.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit