TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

All posts discussing pricing or where to buy TurboCAD will be deleted.

Some Modify tools grayed out
Read 3907 times
* January 06, 2011, 05:26:17 PM
I have encountered this before and could never really figure out what had happened to cause this situation.

I was working with setting up a new template so I was changing quite a few settings, so I have no way of knowing if there was some particular thing that I did that caused this.  Maybe someone else may know.

When a new file is open, and it does not contain any geometry then all of the modify tools are normally grayed out.  Then when geometry is added the relavant modify tools become active as they should.  Except for the Join Polyline, Chain Polyline, and the Offset tool.

Closing the program and restarting fixes the problem.  So it is not such a big deal, but I am very curious as to what is causing this to happen.  I have spent quite a bit of time researching the documentation so I do understand the basics of what is required to activate the commands and the importance of the Place on Workplane command.

I was just curious if anyone had any insights on this that could help me to understand what is happening in order to avoid it if possible.  Hopefully it is some simple thing that I am just not thinking of at the moment.

edit: This only effects one file, not all open files.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 07:52:06 PM by Rod Cole »

TC V21 Pro Platinum  Win 7 Professional

* January 06, 2011, 05:31:58 PM
I've had the same thing occur.  I'm speculating that it might be workplane-related. 

* January 06, 2011, 05:38:02 PM
Murray

Have you found any other way besides to exit the program in order to correct the problem?

* January 06, 2011, 05:44:27 PM
Sorry, Rod, I can't remember, except that my suspicion about workplanes involves something like setting workplane by entity when it happened.  I did restore the function, but I don't know if I had to close to do it. 

* January 06, 2011, 05:53:58 PM
Thanks again Murray.  Now that you mention it, it seems like I was using the Workplane by Facet tool when this issue came up.

That particular method is not something that I ordinarily use that often.  I much prefer other methods such as Workplane by 3 Points for most of my work.

I quess the answer is, like most things in life, "Don't do that".  :)

* January 10, 2011, 04:43:16 AM
Rod, I encountered this very recently and went exploring to try and find out what was happening.  *forehead slap*  I was working in hidden line.....with non-renderables visible.....  
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 04:50:37 AM by murray dickinson »

* January 10, 2011, 10:29:15 AM
Good to know.  Thanks.

I did some follow up myself and what I found is that I can consistenly get the same grayed out modify tools when using the Workplane by Facet tool.  I still haven't figured out if there is some particular setting that I have made that is contributing to this situation.

Maybe I just don't understand all of the requirements of the Workplane by facet tool.

* January 10, 2011, 10:38:50 AM
Good to know.  Thanks.

I did some follow up myself and what I found is that I can consistenly get the same grayed out modify tools when using the Workplane by Facet tool.  I still haven't figured out if there is some particular setting that I have made that is contributing to this situation.

Maybe I just don't understand all of the requirements of the Workplane by facet tool.

Can you recall just which tools were grayed out?

Henry H

* January 10, 2011, 10:49:24 AM
Yes Henry, it was the join polyline, chain polyline, and the offset tools that are being grayed out.

The others may also become grayed out as well at times, but that is normal operation.  From what I can gather the issue I am talking about here should not be happening from what I am given to understand.

It will also correct when closing TC and reopening the file.  From what I have found so far, it does appear to be file specific.

edit: Not that it only happens with only one particular file, but rather when this particular circumstance arrises it effects that particular file.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 05:16:32 PM by Rod Cole »

January 17, 2011, 06:24:18 PM
I have had this same problem and it seems to happen when I explode an object while working in 3D mode.

hope this helps Glenn

* April 11, 2011, 12:14:05 PM
I've had this problem specific to 'Edit Workplane', 'Fit to Window' and 'Show 3D Intersections'. All three of these workplane options were greyed out in one of my drawings. I found that if 'Display Workplane' is turned off, none of these options will work. The solution, of course, is simply to turn 'Display Workplane' on. I didn't find this 'solution' in this thread, so I'm posting this reply...