TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

TurboCad Features
Read 3116 times
* July 13, 2009, 02:19:51 PM
I have managed approx. 5 users of Mechanical Desktop for 10 years.  I am considering TurboCad 16 Platinum as an alternative to Inventor.  I consider our needs to be basic.  We make typical assemblies of 10-20 different parts with perhaps a total of 100 instances.  Our largest assemblies would be 60-80 unique items with no more than a 1,000 instances.  I have some questions.  Could someone comment on each line item?  I realize that I can download a trial, but even trialware must be approved, answers to questions will assist me.

1.  Hole Tool - Can this tool be driven by some means to produce/represent standard ANSI threaded (1/4-20), Counterbore, Countersinked holes in the model with matching notations in paper space?

2.  BOM - Can standard fasteners and X-refed drawings be given attributes that can be shown in a table on the drawing in paper space and be exported from TC in some format that could be imported to excel?

3.  Title Blocks - Can attributed values be retained in some method if one desires to change from an "A" sized border to a "B" sized border?

4.  How robust are the measuring tools in TC?  For instance could the diameter of the head of flat head screw be measured from the quadrant of the tapered portion from one side to the other in the model to determine the  diameter?  Can items such as the border or part list in paper space be measure?  (Inventor 11 cannot do the aforementioned)

5.  Are exploded assembly views stored in the assembly drawing as in MDT?  A file management issue, the fewer drawings the better.

6.  I assume that one can choose to retain some items in an assembly while external referencing other.  (ex. leave purchased items in the assembly and X-ref manufactured parts that require drawings)  Correct?

7. Can TC do a 3D sweep; for instance to show a tubing run from one fitting another?

Thanks in advance,

Troy Nageotte

* July 13, 2009, 04:08:07 PM
Hi Troy,
Thanks for your questions.    Please give me a day or so to research and answer them. 

* July 13, 2009, 05:15:05 PM
Your answers for questions 1 - 7
1.  Hole Tool - Can this tool be driven by some means to produce/represent standard ANSI threaded (1/4-20), Counterbore, Countersinked holes in the model with matching notations in paper space?
A – This possible. If you need to show the actually threads you’ll need to use the thread tool then perform a Boolean subtraction. 

2.  BOM - Can standard fasteners and X-refed drawings be given attributes that can be shown in a table on the drawing in paper space and be exported from TC in some format that could be imported to excel?
A -   Yes

3.  Title Blocks - Can attributed values be retained in some method if one desires to change from an "A" sized border to a "B" sized border?
A- Yes.   If you move the reference point to the lower left of your block you can just type in the X & Y values without losing the attribute info.

4.  How robust are the measuring tools in TC?  For instance could the diameter of the head of flat head screw be measured from the quadrant of the tapered portion from one side to the other in the model to determine the  diameter?  Can items such as the border or part list in paper space be measure?  (Inventor 11 cannot do the aforementioned)

A – Yes on both cases, I think :).  The Radial and Diameter dimensions they automatically detect the Arc see image.  So, I think you should be able to achieve what you want if I am understanding correctly.  Also all of our dimensioning tools work in paper space. 

5.  Are exploded assembly views stored in the assembly drawing as in MDT?  A file management issue, the fewer drawings the better.
A - No - there is no exploded assemblies in the same manner as MDT.   We do have a drafting palette used to automate the detail drawings.   These create separated dynamic 2D objects of your 3d parts.

6.  I assume that one can choose to retain some items in an assembly while external referencing other.  (ex. leave purchased items in the assembly and X-ref manufactured parts that require drawings)  Correct?
A – No - we do not support this type of assembly.

7. Can TC do a 3D sweep; for instance to show a tubing run from one fitting another
?
A – Yes we have a sweep and rail sweep.    The rail sweep works with compound profiles.

I will also add that we do provide very attractive competitive upgrade pricing in case you do not realize that yet.

[attachment deleted by admin]