TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

Dimensional Constraints on Circles- Pro v16.0
Read 2323 times
* July 12, 2009, 07:03:44 PM
I am having a problem getting the dimension variables to appear in the Calculator for Circles. I have put a point (cross or dot) in the center of the circle, concentrically constrained the point to the circle (which is successful as they  move together). However when an ortho dimension is added to the point, the variable does not appear in the Calculator. It does constrain itself to the point as moving the point changes the dimension line and value. Variables for the box which it is dimensioning from appear in the calculator, as do the radius variable for the same circle. Its kinda important as the part will be duplicated for several different sized holes... would save a potload of time if all I have to do is change the diameter of the hole to make all the holes move to the correct spatial relationships as all the other dimensions correct themselves to the right overall dimensions.

Any help will be greatly appreciated...

David M. 

TC Pro-Mech v16.0 Build 36.7 + CAM
AMD Phenom, XP, 2ea ATI Radeon HD3800 running CrossfireX

* July 12, 2009, 08:28:47 PM
One very common problem, which may or may not apply to your case, is that when adding a dimension it is distressingly easy to snap to some part of a preexisting dimension instead of to the object itself. When that happens, the dimension will not appear in the Calculator Palette.

Henry H

* July 12, 2009, 09:12:04 PM
Thanks Henry,

I had just figured it out and came back here to let you know. The problem was indeed, as you say, selecting the wrong thing. I was indeed selecting the box line... so it worked for the dimension... but not for the calculator. The VERTEX at the corner of the box has to be selected for it to appear in the calculator as the vertex is what is constrained... not the line.

Anyway, the problem is solved. I am having a lot of fun with constraints. You can do most anything with them. It was a bit of a pain at first but like everything else, once you get used to it you wonder how you made all those parts fit together with the right clearances without it... haha.

Thanks Again Henry,

David M.

TC Pro-Mech v16.0 Build 36.7 + CAM
AMD Phenom, XP, 2ea ATI Radeon HD3800 running CrossfireX

* July 12, 2009, 09:50:24 PM
You can do most anything with them.

What I do most frequently is lose my temper.

...Anyway, you're most welcome, David.

Henry H