TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

Profile orientation in Rail Sweep
Read 2747 times
* February 27, 2011, 04:57:13 AM
I'm trying to use Rail Sweep to model a simple bend in a metal strip.
No matter which way I orient the profile, it always results in a "sideways" bend (the hard way to bend an actual strip), as shown in the screenshot.
How can I get the bend to to model an "easy" bend?

Gary Wooding
Win10 64-bit,
TC21.2 x64 Plat, Bld59
TC16.2 Plat, Bld54.0
TCC 3.5

February 27, 2011, 05:06:37 AM
Try placing the profile on the path in the correct orientation and then use the Sweep tool. Profile does not need to be on path for Rail Sweep but it does for Sweep. Sometimes it is just better to  use the Sweep tool when issues arise.

* February 27, 2011, 06:15:18 AM
Thanks Don,
I used your suggestion, and it worked fine.
I tried experimenting with Rail Sweep and got some surprises. I tried rotating the profile without success. I tried redrawing the profile at right angles, also without success. Then I tried demonstrating the problem to my wife, and it worked fine. I have no idea why - I even tried using different CSs, but couldn't predict what the effect would be at any time. It is uncontrollable.
It seems to me that Rail Sweep is pretty unusable.

Gary Wooding
Win10 64-bit,
TC21.2 x64 Plat, Bld59
TC16.2 Plat, Bld54.0
TCC 3.5

* February 27, 2011, 11:58:41 AM
Thanks Don,
I tried experimenting with Rail Sweep and got some surprises. I tried rotating the profile without success. I tried redrawing the profile at right angles, also without success. Then I tried demonstrating the problem to my wife, and it worked fine. I have no idea why - I even tried using different CSs, but couldn't predict what the effect would be at any time. It is uncontrollable.

Rail Sweep works nicely when you know its secrets.

1) Place a Point object in or near the profile. You'll see why in step 4, below.

2) Activate the Rail Sweep tool and enable "Use compound profile."

3) The prompt at the lower left of your screen will say, "Select an entity to sweep." Click on the profile, which will turn magenta in color.

4) The prompt will instruct you to "Specify the base point of extrusion." Click the Point object. This is the point that will follow the path, and the rest of the profile will tag along, maintaining its relationship with the Point.

5) You'll be told to "Select an entity for the sweep path." Be sure "Use compound path" is enabled and then click on the path. A tentative Sweep is created, but it's not finished quite yet. You'll probably be asked to "Add an entity for the sweep path." In almost all cases there won't be another path candidate to "add," so go ahead and click the Finish flag on the Inspector Bar.

You can edit  the profile, or the location of the Point object, or the path -- or any combination of these -- and the Sweep will update itself accordingly. If the orientation of the Sweep cross section is wrong, go to 2D Select mode; select the profile; and rotate it. You can also edit the size and or shape of the profile, in the 2D Select mode, and the Sweep will update. Editing the Point or the path can be done in either 2D or 3D Select mode.

Henry H

February 27, 2011, 12:17:46 PM
Thanks Don,

1) Place a Point object in or near the profile. You'll see why in step 4, below.

3) The prompt at the lower left of your screen will say, "Select an entity to sweep." Click on the profile, which will turn magenta in color.

4) The prompt will instruct you to "Specify the base point of extrusion." Click the Point object. This is the point that will follow the path, and the rest of the profile will tag along, maintaining its relationship with the Point.

5) You'll be told to "Select an entity for the sweep path." Be sure "Use compound path" is enabled and then click on the path. A tentative Sweep is created, but it's not finished quite yet. You'll probably be asked to "Add an entity for the sweep path." In almost all cases there won't be another path candidate to "add," so go ahead and click the Finish flag on the Inspector Bar.

You can edit  the profile, or the location of the Point object, or the path -- or any combination of these -- and the Sweep will update itself accordingly. If the orientation of the Sweep cross section is wrong, go to 2D Select mode; select the profile; and rotate it. You can also edit the size and or shape of the profile, in the 2D Select mode, and the Sweep will update. Editing the Point or the path can be done in either 2D or 3D Select mode.

Henry H

Interesting coincidence today - I was just working on a new tip about associative profiles and was including something like this as one component. I didn't know about the point placement idea, but may just have to investigate this a bit further. There are some pretty interesting processes that can be found with the utilizing the wondrous "Use Compound Profile" option. The tip is in its early stages so won't be finished until after I return from my holiday.

* February 27, 2011, 12:21:35 PM
Thanks Don,

Henry H

Interesting coincidence today - I was just working on a new tip about associative profiles and was including something like this as one component. I didn't know about the point placement idea, but may just have to investigate this a bit further. There are some pretty interesting processes that can be found with the utilizing the wondrous "Use Compound Profile" option. The tip is in its early stages so won't be finished until after I return from my holiday.

Don't forget about the possibilities offered by Constraints, Don.

Henry H

February 27, 2011, 12:28:52 PM
Thanks Don,

Henry H

Don't forget about the possibilities offered by Constraints, Don.

Henry H

I am afraid that that won't be included as I have always shied away from TC Constraints. Although the other day while editing some work I was contemplating them because it would have made life easier. I was wondering if I got a hold of a copy of the constraints tutorial whether or not I might be able to learn and make use of them in TC. I know that they sure are sweet in a different program that I occasionally need to utilize.

* February 27, 2011, 06:32:44 PM
"How can I get the bend to to model an "easy" bend?"

Hi, The pic below displays my results. The rail sweep  works fine.I kept trying to replicate your problem and just couldn't do it. Then all of a sudden it hit me, (rotate the profile  in the "Z") when I did that, I  came up with the same results as you. When I rotated the profile in the "X"or Y the rail sweep worked as you see in the pic.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 06:36:16 PM by Dean »

"What do I know, I'm still learning"..
Windows 7 64 bit HP > 2019-2018-2017, TurboCad Platinum 21,20,19 and 18.Using LightWorks, Anilab lab 5.  HP all in one  23" Touch smart screen with Nvidia Geforce 210, open gl 3.3. Intel Core i5 ,2.27GHz,4 GB ram.