TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Be sure your post is relevant to the current discussion.  Create a new topic within the appropriate board if you are unsure.

Print Style Manager
Read 4094 times
February 20, 2011, 02:57:42 PM
TurboCAD Designer 17

OK, I loaded an old AutoCAD drawing of a retaining wall section in TurboCAD and edited it for a new project.  It took me forever (not kidding... since the dawn of time) as I was learning TurboCAD, but I at least have something for my client to review tommorow.  Now I want to print it.  My overall drawing is some sort of size (I draw full size and then print to the scale I need to fit on the paper size I want), and it has several details with individual boarders for each.  In this case, I need to print one of the details on 8 1/2 x 11 paper from my brother laser printer.

It appears that TurboCAD does not have the very nice AutoCAD feature of printing a window (selecting it from inside the plot menu).  How do I select the view I want to print?  Could it be some sort of "View" option.  If so, where do I read and learn how to make one?

Regarding the pen width in the Print Style Manager, I pray that there are more pen width options than those listed because 0.01, 0.02, and 0.05-inches does not provide much creativity.  I realize there are larger ones, but I don't really think my client is going to get much out of a big black blob on the paper.  Who needs a line 1/8-inch wide on a structural drawing, except for maybe the boarder?  There has to be something I'm missing.  Help!!

As a side note, when I select a width, the next time I look at it the width has been changed to a fraction rather than the decimal I selected.  What's up with that?  Confusing.  And the smaller widths are indicated by a zero.  Not sure I understand a line zero in width.  Wierd.

Also, my text is in red, but changing the width of the color red does not change the width of the text.  Is the text pen width edited elsewhere??

* February 20, 2011, 03:08:33 PM
TurboCAD Designer 17

OK, I loaded an old AutoCAD drawing of a retaining wall section in TurboCAD and edited it for a new project.  It took me forever (not kidding... since the dawn of time) as I was learning TurboCAD, but I at least have something for my client to review tommorow.  Now I want to print it.  My overall drawing is some sort of size (I draw full size and then print to the scale I need to fit on the paper size I want), and it has several details with individual boarders for each.  In this case, I need to print one of the details on 8 1/2 x 11 paper from my brother laser printer.

It appears that TurboCAD does not have the very nice AutoCAD feature of printing a window (selecting it from inside the plot menu).  How do I select the view I want to print?  Could it be some sort of "View" option.  If so, where do I read and learn how to make one?

Regarding the pen width in the Print Style Manager, I pray that there are more pen width options than those listed because 0.01, 0.02, and 0.05-inches does not provide much creativity.  I realize there are larger ones, but I don't really think my client is going to get much out of a big black blob on the paper.  Who needs a line 1/8-inch wide on a structural drawing, except for maybe the boarder?  There has to be something I'm missing.  Help!!

As a side note, when I select a width, the next time I look at it the width has been changed to a fraction rather than the decimal I selected.  What's up with that?  Confusing.  And the smaller widths are indicated by a zero.  Not sure I understand a line zero in width.  Wierd.

Also, my text is in red, but changing the width of the color red does not change the width of the text.  Is the text pen width edited elsewhere??

Presuming Designer version to work similarly to Pro versions; and presuming that one is working in 1 : 1 scale in Model Space; you can go up to View/ Create View . Draw a selection rectangle around the drawing area you wish to portray. Now, after switching into Paper Space ( and setting up the Page Set-up according to the 8 1/2 x 11 need) Go up to Insert/ Viewport and again , create a rectangular viewport selection. Presto, the image appears. You now have to select the Viewport ( by Boundary works)  and go to it's Properties page to set it up as you may wish, including the desired scale. Be sure to check-mark the Fixed Scale box to secure that scale setting. Sort of it in a nut-shell.

I'll let another chime in as to setting up Line and Text widths etc., but it is a Properties consideration as well.  

Also, one can add in more selections of line widths, which I believe can be done in Designer also. I am not up on it's approach, but again; I suspect that someone more knowledgeable will chime in.    HTHs  - Al
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 03:13:30 PM by AE »

February 20, 2011, 06:44:16 PM
Thanks Al, but really, all that to print a view.  Really?

I had no problem creating views, but didn't like that I could not snap to the corners of the border around the detail I need to print.  I have no idea how much extra space is going to end up around my border but I imagine the finished plot will not be centered exactly due to this variation.

In Layout, Page Setup, I set the Printer Paper to 8 1/2 x 11.  My actual Drawing Sheet is infinite, so I set it to a larger size (Arch E1 42x30).  The image then appears as a white rectangle( the Drawing Sheet) cut up with 8 1/2 x 11 dashed rectangles (my printer paper size) all on a blueish background.  Next I Inserted the two views to print.  I selected the viewports and "Fixed" their scale to 1:24.  Oddly the entire drawing (many details) appeared very small in each of the viewports.  I went ahead and printed each of them and sure enough each the views that I selected printed.  Unfortunately, they are not to scale (though close, about 20% off) and not centered on the page.  I'm obviously leaving out a detail or two to get the print I want.

How can I select the exact boundary of my border so that no additional space is around my print and view?

What am I doing wrong such that the view is not printing to scale?

How can it be this difficult to print a window of my overall drawing?  Do I need to upgrade or something?  Am I being penalized for buying a version with fewer options?  (the only one sold at my local computer store)

* February 20, 2011, 08:37:02 PM
Thanks Al, but really, all that to print a view.  Really?

How can I select the exact boundary of my border so that no additional space is around my print and view?

What am I doing wrong such that the view is not printing to scale?

How can it be this difficult to print a window of my overall drawing?  Do I need to upgrade or something?  Am I being penalized for buying a version with fewer options?  (the only one sold at my local computer store)

'All that' just isn't that much IMHO.

I suspect that the issues you're encountering may be due to the "old ACAD file". How old? What version? Is it in metric? If so... then the Model Space is not at a 1 : 1 drawing scale initially.
When you set up the Page, you selected 8 1/2 x 11 as the printer paper, but also select 8 1/2 x 11 as your drawing page size ( perhaps it could have been labeled "presentation page" ). This set-up allows one to span a drawing over more than one printer sheet as desired or as their printer possibility may exist.( i.e. - 2 - 8 1/2 x 11 sheets to print out one landscaped 11 x 17 drawing)  
     Now place your named viewport(s) within. Set your scale as desired and make sure that you check-mark the Fixed box as mentioned. You may now move that viewport around or re-orient it's "view" by pulling the side boundary lines to the extents that give you what you wish to show. You may also change the borders pen color to whatever( and line weight), including white; which will basically make it invisible. I don't know if the Designer version allows one to select a differing shape and mutate the viewport...say into a clipped circle or oval shape. I understand that this seems differing enough from Acad to be perceived as arduous, but it is afterall; another program entirely.

Also, as a new thought; under the Drawing Set-up/ Space Units/ what Precision setting are you using? Hopefully no less that 4, though 10 may be more what you require.

Hope some of this is helping.    - Al

BTW... I don't see why one could not simply "print screen view" ( if your printer allows that option) of the area as presented in your drawing while in Model Space. Been years since I would have done just that.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 09:02:20 PM by AE »

February 20, 2011, 09:54:30 PM
Al, I appreciate your help but I just does not work.  I am sure TurboCAD is a great program but it certainly is not intuitive.  Printing a small rectangular portion of a larger drawing to scale that is centererd on the paper seems to me what many users would need to do; therefore, would be a much simplier process than you described.
I'm sorry but I don't know what IMHO stands for.

These are general comments, not questions, that I hope to better understand another day:
I don't understand the need for a scale to be in both Page Setup and the Viewport Properties.
I have no idea how to intrepret what is on the Layout Page for printing.  After I fix the print scale, my entire drawing is about 2"x2" in the center of the viewport, even though it only prints the viewport from the model page.
I do not understand why I have to create a viewport on the Layout page either.  It seems I would just insert a previously defined view into it.  It appears the inserted view is being scaled up or down to the size of the layout page viewport I created.  I don't see how this is helping me print.
I want to print my border, which includes my title block and make the detail look nice.

To answer some of your questions:
I suspect part of my problems are from opening and editing a 2000 version AutoCAD LT file.  I just don't have $1200 to buy the new LT for Windows 7 so I bought Turbo.  I guess I'm getting what I pay for.
I get the whole multipage printing, but it is not what I am trying to do.
My precison is set to 2.
Printing a screen will not work because it will not recognize line weights, not be to scale, and would also print the toolbars and menus.

FYI, I was able to get what I wanted by starting a new drawing and inserting the portion of the drawing I wanted to print in it.  That way I could print the entire drawing on one page, centered, and to scale.  It was much less of a process than viewports.  And successful.

Thanks again for your advice.  If you were here I would buy you a soda or beer.  I'm sure you will see many more of my posts as I try to learn the program.

Scott

* February 21, 2011, 06:39:01 AM
Again... Welcome Scott. I'm sure that your weather down there in Marietta is a bit nicer than up north here in Telford, Pa.

The basic point of working in one scale set in Model Space ( typically and primarily 1 : 1 ) is that you can create your "snap-shots" as named views in Model Space, and import them into a Paper Space possibly utilizing several separate viewports, and each with it's own scale. Layers also can be chosen uniquely in each Viewport as well. Frankly, I thought this approach came from Acad's system years ago ! I specifically gravitated to Tcad because I felt it was much more intuitive than Acad and not because of price. Also, I wanted to learn to do 3D Cad work which at the time, Acad was barely foraging into. FWTW.
       I'm sorry your getting off to a difficult start, but there has to be something simple that is betraying our communicae over this otherwise rather simple process. I am wondering if you would be willing to post one of your DWG files for me to preview and see if I can catch on to way to help more specifically. I suspect that I may be able to resend it back to you converted to the Tcad v16.2 that I am using, and them perhaps by example it may help. Perhaps you might even place a red rectangle or the like around the area you wanted to encapsulate. Just tryin to help.

IMHO = In my humble opinion   ,   ( FWTW   - for what ever that's worth )

;-)        - Al

February 24, 2011, 01:20:28 PM
Thanks Al for the offer.  I am going to assume at this point the problem is me and that I have not converted that file to a .tcw file, so I don't want to waste your time on my shortcomings and a non-.tcw file.  I have submitted the project so the pressure is off for now.  I plan to test your process in a .tcw file.  If you have any input into future improvements, I vote for printing a window that the corners can be selected by snaps! 
I have had a difficult time understanding what I gettting by upgrading to Deluxe.  The ads do mention things that are important to me, and as evidenced by research, the USER GUIDE for Designer mentions menus and options are not available, so I cant trust User Guides as a source. Pro is about the same cost as AutoCad LT so upgrading to it is not benifical.  I have to have more practicle printable line weights (0.01, 0.02, and 0.05 are not enough to make a plan readable and nice looking), and I never able to adjust the line weight of my text at all.  I'm working on these issues in other posts.

Thanks again, Scott

BTW, when I engage spell check before posting, all I get is a blank window.

* February 24, 2011, 01:55:23 PM
You may want to look over the videos that IMSI/Design has available on YouTube. There's one about Model Space and Paperspace that might be helpful.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2020
Designer, Deluxe, (Basic, Expert, Professional), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1909), 64-bit

* February 24, 2011, 07:26:27 PM

Thanks again, Scott

BTW, when I engage spell check before posting, all I get is a blank window.

Guess yer spellin' is better'n you thought!  Good luck  -  Al