TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

Interested in some really terrific mobile apps? Visit www.turboapps.com for details.

another day, another console
Read 1577 times
February 13, 2011, 03:40:08 PM
Hey guys.  First off, happy birthday to me !  Turned 62 on Saturday, and as we old guys have discovered, I still feel 25.  I don't *look* 25 (who is that old guy in the mirror?), but you're only pretty as you feel, right ?

Anyway . . . here's the latest console design, based on the modular system I've developed.  It's getting easier to model and light these things.  This uses a simple sky luminance, two accent (regular) spotlights, and a custom HDR environment.  One of the big changes in using TurboCAD is that models and parts keep their integrity for re-use.  As it should be, of course, but objects created in DesignCAD used to lose their properties and intelligence, so when I tried to reuse them, they would just be a collection of facets.  Being able to build a useful library of components has allowed me to really develop this console system. 

I'm still awed by the organic modeling that many of you resident experts can do.  I struggled so much to make the curved cables coming from the keyboards !  Learning about using splines for sweep paths.  And the surface simplification tool helped, too.  BTW, this is on ACIS draft mode - quality mode just froze the onscreen render, even in a tiny window.  Hope v18 addresses some of these rendering-filesize-quality-time issues.

Steve

SGEDESIGNS - - TurboCAD 20.1 Pro Platinum - - WIN7-64 Dell Precision M6700 -- Quadcore i5-3340M 2.7GHz -- 8Gb RAM -- Fire Pro M6000

February 13, 2011, 05:30:04 PM
Happy Birthday Steve. So there is still life after 60, is there?  :-) Just kidding. I have a ways to go before I am there but can relate to your comments.

I really like the new design - pretty elegant I must say.

February 14, 2011, 05:18:50 AM
Happy Birthday Steve! This is a great looking console. I know who I'm calling if I ever need one.

BradE [ dean3Design ]
Core i7-3930K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 32GB 1333 DDR3, FirePro V5900
TC 21 Platinum (64-Bit) Running on Win7 Pro SP1

February 14, 2011, 07:53:10 AM
62? Damned kid  ::)
Your console presentations keep getting better and better.

TC 11.2 and 17.2 Platinum

February 16, 2011, 07:08:21 PM
very good work

Take Care
Craig
Using TurboCAD v18.2; Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz;<BR>Win 7 ProSp1; 6GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM; EVGA GeForce GTX 460 1GB
DeviantArt Gallery @ http://crag-dolomite.deviantart.com/gallery
TurboCAD Animators @ http://www.vimeo.com/channelTCAnim