TurboCAD Forums

The Ultimate Resource for TurboCAD Knowledge

Register

When replying to a specific statement be sure to quote the previous post.

TurboCAD Deluxe 15.2 Help needed for a Computer Novice???
Read 10657 times
* February 03, 2011, 03:52:18 PM
Been trying to draw a basic wall layout just to learn and seems I get a wall or two and the  when I move the cusor around I have all kinds of things being left in my drawing and walls I don't even click on to put in the layout.

Is there a Book for TurboCAD that I can reference being I am on dial up it takes to long to load anything. And I can't draw a basic 8 x 8 layout and try to learn this software and not much with computers and thought this would be a way to learn some basics and yet each time I get started I have all kinds of things in my drawing layout and when I use Cntl Z it does not undo a wall and yet I leave more symbols & walls behind when I am just drawing 4 walls in an 8 x 8 structure. Not much with computers and now it looks like I am less with TURBOCAD 15???

Is there a TurboCAD 15 for Dummies because it looks like I can't do the basics and having to ask a lot of questions will be even more time since I am not sure now what I am doing right or wrong. I see there is no books to be able to refer to.

Any suggestions on books that can help me???

Thanks,
Newaygo1  
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 03:59:12 PM by Newaygo1 »

* February 03, 2011, 04:19:51 PM
See the "TurboCAD Tutorials" page at Textual Creations. You should find many helpful tutorials there to get you up to speed.

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

* February 03, 2011, 04:27:27 PM
As for training material link below may want to explore has hard copys

http://www.turbocad.com/TurboCAD/TurboCADWindows/Training/tabid/558/Default.aspx

Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement Henry Ford
If I have ever made any valuable discoveries it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent Isaac Newton
I have not failed Ive just found 10,000 ways that won't work Thomas Edison

* February 03, 2011, 05:18:48 PM
Thanks I am not much with computers I stumble a lot just getting the basics going and so far that is all I have done is stumble. Might have to invest more $$ to try and learn more. Seems there is not much out there for those of us that used a teletype Green Machine for computers back in high school with 1 inch tape and paper print out only. Guess I was just not exposed to computers till it was too late which is the last few years and no means of learning just trying to stumble through learning CAD for Fire Alarm Design...

Buts thanks looks like I will be stumbling for a while to come nothing is ever simple these days especially with computers and no Books to refer to...

Newaygo1

* February 03, 2011, 07:10:44 PM
Been trying to draw a basic wall layout just to learn and seems I get a wall or two and the  when I move the cusor around I have all kinds of things being left in my drawing and walls I don't even click on to put in the layout.

Is there a Book for TurboCAD that I can reference being I am on dial up it takes to long to load anything. And I can't draw a basic 8 x 8 layout and try to learn this software and not much with computers and thought this would be a way to learn some basics and yet each time I get started I have all kinds of things in my drawing layout and when I use Cntl Z it does not undo a wall and yet I leave more symbols & walls behind when I am just drawing 4 walls in an 8 x 8 structure. Not much with computers and now it looks like I am less with TURBOCAD 15???

Is there a TurboCAD 15 for Dummies because it looks like I can't do the basics and having to ask a lot of questions will be even more time since I am not sure now what I am doing right or wrong. I see there is no books to be able to refer to.

Any suggestions on books that can help me???

Thanks,
Newaygo1  

I don't think Walls are the easiest kind of object to start learning with. I'd suggest you begin a new drawing, go to an Isometric view where it's easier to see what's going on (Press the Alt key and the PageUp key at the same time to go to the "SW Isometric" view), and start experimenting with the various Line, Circle, and 3D object tools. Don't hesitate to post again with further questions.

Henry H

* February 04, 2011, 08:36:34 AM
Thanks one would think doing a simple layout of walls would be guess I am not savy enough with computers to know better. And not even sure what an isometric view is sill have to try and find that. So much for simple...

Thanks again,
Newaygo1

* February 04, 2011, 10:08:41 AM
Thanks one would think doing a simple layout of walls would be guess I am not savy enough with computers to know better.

I think it's a matter of familiarity with TurboCAD. "Walls" have a great many idiosyncrasies that are not at all obvious or intuitive.

And not even sure what an isometric view is sill have to try and find that.

Attachment shows four of the ten "Standard Views" available in TCad. You're not limited to those ten; you can view an object from ANY angle by means of the "Examine" tool from the View menu, but maybe that's for another day...

Henry H
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 09:13:19 PM by Henry Hubich »

* February 04, 2011, 07:55:08 PM
THANKS!!!

Newaygo1

* February 12, 2011, 09:11:55 PM
Henry H,

When you mean ISOMetric do you mean ISO? I don't find any option for ISOMetric, these are what is with my TurboCad; A0, A1, A2, A3, A4, ANSI_A, ANSI_AB, ANSI_ABCDE, ANSI_B, ANSI_C, ANSI_D, ANSI_E, Architectural. ISO, Normal & Normal Metric.

So I am no sure just which you are suggesting I try??? DOn't get much time to learn more but tonight I do and so I am hoping you can provide which is the one you recommeded.

Look Forward to your reply.

Thanks,
Newaygo1

* February 13, 2011, 12:18:51 AM
re: When you say ISOMetric, do you mean ISO?

The Standard Views page in the Wiki might help here.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 12:23:13 AM by John R »

John R.

V17—V21, 2015—2019
Designer, Deluxe, (Professional, Expert, Basic), Platinum
RedSDK enabled
Windows 10 Pro (1903), 64-bit

* February 13, 2011, 06:05:40 AM
Thanks but you all seem you to be talking about nothing I familar with or understand, I have no idea what "Standard View" page in wiki is? Guess it time to stop asking each time I do I get information I have no idea what it means. I thought this would be a lot simple for a novice but not the case I tried views of a few of the ones I listed above but still can't get 4  walled structure draw on the screen.
Thanks but it is time to stop I am getting nothing I know or can use. So much for learning anything CAD... Looks like you have to be much more computer knowledgeable which I am not...Can't even do a basic 4 wall drawing after another few hours trying to figure out what you are suggesting and still don't have anything. Sorry but wasted the $$ on this seems you all are talking in a different language than english when comes to using cad software. Again never used any but this and now I am even more confused than when I started trying to do even the basics of a drawing.
 Newaygo1
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 06:07:18 AM by Newaygo1 »

* February 13, 2011, 07:11:36 AM
Sorry you are having so much trouble. Like you a few years ago I did not know anything about CAD. I am a hobbiest woodworker and I was looking for a way to draw plans for projects that I wanted to build.  I read about Turbocad in a woodworking magazine. I will tell you this there is a learning curve to being able to draw on your computer, just hang in there. I have not mastered everything either. There are a lot of on line programs for turbocad that you can buy from cad course.com. I started out with Mastering Turbocad v14 by Kevin Doucette and that helped me get started. Later I purchased Woodworking in Turbocad with Geoff Malthouse. These two helped me get started and explaned a lot of things for me. At least I would hope that you would be able to understand what the guys here on the Forum are talking about. These are a very helpful group and they all want you to enjoy using the program. At times I too am bewildered by what they are talking about and I also realize they have been using Turbocad for a long time and can get over us beginners heads. Us beginners need to just hang in there and someday maybe we will catch-up. JUST HANG IN THERE. Lefthander   

Carroll D. Peppersack
TurboCad 14.2 Deluxe
TurboCad 20 Plat

* February 13, 2011, 08:55:49 AM
Henry H,

When you mean ISOMetric do you mean ISO? I don't find any option for ISOMetric, these are what is with my TurboCad; A0, A1, A2, A3, A4, ANSI_A, ANSI_AB, ANSI_ABCDE, ANSI_B, ANSI_C, ANSI_D, ANSI_E, Architectural. ISO, Normal & Normal Metric.

So I am no sure just which you are suggesting I try??? DOn't get much time to learn more but tonight I do and so I am hoping you can provide which is the one you recommeded.

Look Forward to your reply.

Thanks,
Newaygo1

Good grief, that is confusing, isn't it? Having grown up with the lingo, I didn't realize how badly "ISO" and "Metric" could be misinterpreted, especially when they're combined into a single term. I was referring to a view -- the appearance of an object as seen from a specific direction. Nothing to do with International Standards Organization or with the metric system. Have another look at the illustration attached to my message of February 4.

Henry H

* February 13, 2011, 09:22:15 AM
I have no idea what "Standard View" page in wiki is?
If you click on where John wrote "Standard View", it will take you to another page on another site where it explains standard views. The page is called a 'wiki' because it was put together as a collaborative effort -- but its still just another web page.

If this is your first foray into computers at all, then CAD may be on the deep end of the pool ;-) And walls ... don't seem to work the way you expect in Deluxe. Maybe they work better in the Pro version. So maybe take on something else for a beginning project.

If you bought Deluxe in a box, then there should be a training fundamentals tutorial on the disk. Install that and go through it. Its about 8 hours of materials, which you're going to want to spread over a couple weeks.

Good luck!
Mark

TCW Pro 14.2
TC Deluxe 16.2 Build 53.2

* February 13, 2011, 09:48:54 AM
Thanks,

But I am going to step back and take a break seems that you tell me someonething and I have no idea there is links associated with posts. Again novice here I don't usre a computer at work and when I do it is only to email my work hours in, apply for jobs do job searches which is why I was attempting to learn a possible new skill but the way it appears it is all about going to specialty schooling or on the job with somoen that knows it and is willing to pass it on in person trying to figure anything out for me is just seemlying not the way to lern this and since I know no one that does this for a living and those that do keep it to themselves as to have a skill they can market.

I am going to step back and take a break from checking here just too much and little if anything I have picked up and this is not what I was hoping for. Looks like you need to have a BOOK to refer to because these is just not working and if I can't get anything buying training software will be just another thing and I don't have 2 computers wheere I can start something on one ause another to look for information via software. Guess technology and me just are meant to work together. Too little to late for me...
Again thanks but each time someone posts something I am even more lost...

Take Care,
Newaygo1 

* February 13, 2011, 12:01:30 PM
Thanks,

But I am going to step back and take a break seems that you tell me someonething and I have no idea there is links associated with posts. Again novice here I don't usre a computer at work and when I do it is only to email my work hours in, apply for jobs do job searches which is why I was attempting to learn a possible new skill but the way it appears it is all about going to specialty schooling or on the job with somoen that knows it and is willing to pass it on in person trying to figure anything out for me is just seemlying not the way to lern this and since I know no one that does this for a living and those that do keep it to themselves as to have a skill they can market.

I am going to step back and take a break from checking here just too much and little if anything I have picked up and this is not what I was hoping for. Looks like you need to have a BOOK to refer to because these is just not working and if I can't get anything buying training software will be just another thing and I don't have 2 computers wheere I can start something on one ause another to look for information via software. Guess technology and me just are meant to work together. Too little to late for me...

Take Care,
Newaygo1 

What part of the world do you live in? Maybe there's a nearby user who could offer personal help.

Henry H

* February 13, 2011, 01:14:33 PM
Thanks,

Take Care,
Newaygo1  

Best wishes Newaygo1... Lots of folks here willin to help as possible.   Anyway....just wonderin'.... How did the black-berry bushes removal go up there in Michigan?  -  Al

* February 13, 2011, 02:07:05 PM
The help I am getting is nothing I have been able to USED!!! words is little when it does not equal what you are doing with amouse and software program. Like I said I have spent now 5 hours playing and learning nothing. Maybe because you have gone to svhool or can spend hours and hours figuring it gteat but again time is more important doing things and getting something DONE!!! playing on the computer just is not what I would call getting something when so far I have got no where but like most I stated at the Beginging I am a NOVICE when it comes to computera dn even some of the posters talk in terminology over my head and realized it but typing something and interpting it when reading is two different things when yiu know more about it and again I stated I had no knowledge being a novice I got it SEE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

* March 08, 2011, 01:32:49 PM
Update;

I goy some help from my youngest Brother who is an IT Prfessional (Does it for aLiving) and he found a source that has BOOKS for TurboCAD They are Guides with good information on how to learn to use TurboCAD. The funny thing is it is put out by  IMSI Design and they have them for many of the Versions of TurboCAD. I guess no one here knows about these because that was one of my first questions regrading books. If the company has them why no one suggested them when I was asking??? They are "Mastering TurboCAD 15 Deluxe 2D /3D & Pro" "Complete with Movies and Excercises" by Kevin Doucette, it has a Guide and a CD. The book is 200 pages. They also have a TubroCAD15 3D Training Guide without a CD. He got me the Mastering TurboCAD15 and I am just reading through it before I use it with the CD & the TurboCAD15 Deluxe Software I have. There is also some out for the others as well if any are looking for a Book/Guide on TURBOCAD...

Newaygo1

* March 08, 2011, 09:26:04 PM
Update;

plete with Movies and Excercises" by Kevin Doucette, it has a Guide and a CD. The book is 200 pages. They also have a TubroCAD15 3D Training Guide without a CD. He got me the Mastering TurboCAD15 and I am just reading through it before I use it with the CD & the TurboCAD15 Deluxe Software I have. There is also some out for the others as well if any are looking for a Book/Guide on TURBOCAD...

Newaygo1

You may to have a look at learning modules found on Cadcourse.net

DonCW
2017 Pro with Light Works Plug in
2018 Platinum

Windows 10
There's so much to learn and not much time left to learn it.

* December 25, 2011, 11:25:30 AM
Just loaded this on a new notebook and loaded on TurboCad and still can't use it nothing works as the Tutorails guess I am missing something or what hs suggestion is not how it works unless you have used CAD Software before. I can draw what I am tryiong do with a Ruler and a Pencil faster and get it done then attempting to use this the lines never are straight unless you are very slow in moving them and when you use the box the lines are nebver aligned with the Rulers on the top or sides. Guess you have to use other CAD Software to get it to work.

Guess it is back to old SChool with a sheet of paper, a ruler and a pencil. And paying to learn is not in my budget...

Just an update since I am still not able to use this...

Newaygo1

* December 30, 2011, 07:17:59 PM
Just loaded this on a new notebook and loaded on TurboCad and still can't use it nothing works as the Tutorails guess I am missing something or what hs suggestion is not how it works unless you have used CAD Software before. I can draw what I am tryiong do with a Ruler and a Pencil faster and get it done then attempting to use this the lines never are straight unless you are very slow in moving them and when you use the box the lines are nebver aligned with the Rulers on the top or sides. Guess you have to use other CAD Software to get it to work.

Guess it is back to old SChool with a sheet of paper, a ruler and a pencil. And paying to learn is not in my budget...

Just an update since I am still not able to use this...

Newaygo1
Hi,

It can be frustrating learning a new technology. And it does take time to learn, especially if its all brand new. Paper and pencil can be faster than automation, but the automation pays off when you need to do more than one thing with the same information. Showing different elevations of the same drawing, or displaying a building from different angles. Or making revisions to a product .

Lining up with the ruler? Better to turn the ruler off -- its just there to give you a general idea of sizes. The inspector bar is more useful for actual operations.

Most recent boxed versions of TC deluxe come with CAD fundamentals. You should have your IT savvy brother install it for you. Its really good.  That would be the first place to start. Learn to use the basic tools.  It took me about 8 hours to complete that tutorial, spread over about 2 weeks. While it can take a long time to get the hang of 3D drawing, the 2D drawing tools are pretty intuitive once you've been properly introduced. You might find that you like them even better than paper and pencil.

I have the TurboCAD 14 3D training Guide, and I would not recommend it to anyone using Deluxe. Its riddled with errors, and seems to have been hastily assembled. I'd guess only 60% of it is relevant to Deluxe.

Don Cheke has some tutorials for TurboCad that are really excellent, though not free. Still, only about twice the price of a "dummies" book, but far more detailed. Those "Dummies" book tend to have a lot of fluff. You might want to check out Don's tutorials after doing the fundamentals. In particular, he has one for creating a complete Timber Frame Barn using TC Deluxe 15. He doesn't use the wall tool, but the wall tool doesn't seem to be the way way to go in TurboCad Deluxe IMHO. You can visit his site at http://www.textualcreations.ca/Textual%20Creations%20Shopping%20Page.html . Scroll to the bottom to see the 3 Deluxe tutorials. I would expect it to take 50 hours or so spread over multiple weeks to finish the Timber Frame Barn.

Is that Newaygo, MI? We used to pass through White Cloud on our way to Hardy Dam a zillion years ago.

Mark

TCW Pro 14.2
TC Deluxe 16.2 Build 53.2